• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
January Banter Thread

H2O

My dream of a mass of moisture moving in from the gulf into a cold home of air in a classic over-running event deferred again, apparently. So damn hard to get that set-up in the last several years.

I won't lie to you; I have seen better 50-50/-NAO setups. The reality is: thumb ridge projections into Greenland with a clipper bomb being stretched out with the PV west is not ideal. That can easily lose and lead to widespread diffluence. The good news is that there's a boat load of Arctic Air up there and the stratospheric stuff supports that PV coming SE. From that point on, it's about lucky timing.

I've said it before: this is not a winter to get cute. And those that have gotten cute have been getting beat up left and right...whether it is in the LR (making bold proclaimations) or SR (predicting record snow).

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well done, was their all-time record set?

6th. Biggest in January. ORH set all time record... which was surprisingly close to what IAD got in Snowmageddon. Interesting there's a general non mtn top end of EC storms regardless of latitude.

No, I believe it was like their number 6? 27.1 IIRC is their record from PDII.

Yup, 27.5"--- it was the lamest all-time record because the airport bullseyed (downtown Boston had less snow), and the 6-hr method yielded a fluffed-up total with the final snow depth much lower. Boston-folk were annoyed it displaced the Blizzard of '78. 

Yup, 27.5"--- it was the lamest all-time record because the airport bullseyed (downtown Boston had less snow), and the 6-hr method yielded a fluffed-up total with the final snow depth much lower. Boston-folk were annoyed it displaced the Blizzard of '78.

Agreed. PDII was much more remembered for what it did in our area than up there. 26.8 at BWI?

I kinda wonder if this period might be it for winter based on how things move after but we are good at March lately.

I had that thought as well.  Ensembles backed off a little in regards to the strong +AO/+NAO combo after Day 10, but still have it, just weaker.  I'd like to score in the next 10 days so we're not chasing a "pattern change" on Feb 15th.  

I had that thought as well.  Ensembles backed off a little in regards to the strong +AO/+NAO combo after Day 10, but still have it, just weaker.  I'd like to score in the next 10 days so we're not chasing a "pattern change" on Feb 15th.  

Obviously not set in stone.. patterns become stubborn. Maybe when the -NAO accidentally happens it will decide it likes to be there. ;)  But.. I could def see a warm up in Feb.. and it might not be well timed to give us much chance after. We're kinda due for a winter that screeches to a halt in mid-Feb... one that screwed SNE until giving them a big one (and probably several more) seems like a good winter to do it. 

I said a while back I'd still run to near avg in Jan and also Feb.. probably still feel the same in general. But that could still mean a sub 10" winter at DCA unless something good happens soon IMO.

I had that thought as well. Ensembles backed off a little in regards to the strong +AO/+NAO combo after Day 10, but still have it, just weaker. I'd like to score in the next 10 days so we're not chasing a "pattern change" on Feb 15th.

Maybe not Feb 15, but by Feb 25 I'm chasing a pattern change...to warm.

I had that thought as well. Ensembles backed off a little in regards to the strong +AO/+NAO combo after Day 10, but still have it, just weaker. I'd like to score in the next 10 days so we're not chasing a "pattern change" on Feb 15th.

Luckily the pac seems cooperative for the foreseeable future. But relying solely for the entire month of Feb isn't going to work out too well. We aren't getting the promised -ao. I'm fairly confident that Feb won't magically flip in that department.

The debacle last weekend has left me wholly incapable of showing any emotion for a model run or group of runs. It's time for winter to quit the games and put up or gtfo.

I feel the same way.

Luckily the pac seems cooperative for the foreseeable future. But relying solely for the entire month of Feb isn't going to work out too well. We aren't getting the promised -ao. I'm fairly confident that Feb won't magically flip in that department.

A part of me wants to think that sounds like the pattern we had for much of last winter, but the realistic side thinks it's not going to work out this time without a block.

Archived