• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Ending out December with a Potential Pattern Change

CoastalWx

Natural Gas sure did tank in last 3 days, A 10% fall from Friday is just crazy.

Hopefully this isn't the rare time the LR euro actually guesses right

I think Scott instead of playing psychologist to the weenies, just acknowledge the concerns, ya things took a turn for the worse this weekend in a ugly way,  we don't know if it will stick but  the trend  sucked w a capital S. That doesn't mean winter is over, and the LR is a roll of dice anyway, but again 99% know this.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lol, Well i will pretty much have bare ground after grinch day so that 25" is not doing me much good, I would rather see a cold period before anymore frozen precip but will deal with the hand we get dealt

Man, ever since about 11/25, when sne was modeled to see a pretty significant early season snow event @ about 48 hours lead, everything...and I do mean everything, has trended as $hitty as possible.

Makes me long for the days of whacking it to SAI graphs.

Things were so simple then...

If we finish December with less than 4-5 inches in Boston seasonally theough 1/10 we're ratting.

Yea, I said that last night...if we mince through the first week of January with blue ballz in tact, things need to be reevaluated.

I'm not sure about a ratter because the backend can be bountiful in el Ninos, but I think we will definitvely know that 1977, 1978, or 2005 are not walking through that door.

I think Scott instead of playing psychologist to the weenies, just acknowledge the concerns, ya things took a turn for the worse this weekend in a ugly way,  we don't know if it will stick but  the trend  sucked w a capital S. That doesn't mean winter is over, and the LR is a roll of dice anyway, but again 99% know this.

I thought I did around 7 this morning?

Well its kind of hard to express concern when every single time we do it, peopel start having meltdowns and misinterprete the information.

Why is it so difficult to convey uncertainty to the masses?

The reason is because nobody wants probabilistic forecasts...weenies want deterministic forecasts...and their mood changes with every deterministic outcome from run to run. It's not really discussing science at that point, it's discussing deterministic outcomes that don't have a lot of meaning when they are 13 days out...even an ensemble mean. If you cannot successfully illustrate the uncertainty in even the enesemble mean, they are just like deterministic OP solutions to the masses.

I think this is a quick cliff notes version of affairs this morning are:

1. The pattern is still going to change after 12/25

2. The period between 12/30 - 1/4 still looks pretty favorable for some snow chances

3. The period beyond 1/4 looks less cold today than it did yesterday or the day before

4. The period beyond 1/4 is very uncertain due to some conflicting signals in the MJO

5. The period beyond 1/4 may look colder again over the next couple runs...the uncertainty is high

6. This tells us nothing about what a period like 1/10-1/20 might bring

Pretty much, Will. I will also add there seems to be an odd lack of question asking and more interpretation of what mets said. Why not ask questions directly? Hey Will, do you think January will be mild? Hey Scooter, so what does that mean after the 5th? Sometimes we can't communicate every detail given time constraints, so by all means ask.

Well its kind of hard to express concern when every single time we do it, peopel start having meltdowns and misinterprete the information.

Why is it so difficult to convey uncertainty to the masses?

The reason is because nobody wants probabilistic forecasts...weenies want deterministic forecasts...and their mood changes with every deterministic outcome from run to run. It's not really discussing science at that point, it's discussing deterministic outcomes that don't have a lot of meaning when they are 13 days out...even an ensemble mean. If you cannot successfully illustrate the uncertainty in even the enesemble mean, they are just like deterministic OP solutions to the masses.

I think this is a quick cliff notes version of affairs this morning are:

1. The pattern is still going to change after 12/25

2. The period between 12/30 - 1/4 still looks pretty favorable for some snow chances

3. The period beyond 1/4 looks less cold today than it did yesterday or the day before

4. The period beyond 1/4 is very uncertain due to some conflicting signals in the MJO

5. The period beyond 1/4 may look colder again over the next couple runs...the uncertainty is high

6. This tells us nothing about what a period like 1/10-1/20 might bring

Thanks for the distinction between probabilistic and deterministic. The constant demand for the latter is exhausting and confusing. What seems clear is that we are going into January in a way that is quite different from the way we are ending December (and for that matter, the entire month). Chances for snow are pretty good. "less cold" is not the same as raging warm. Lets take it from there

OK, question:

Why does the period from 12/30 look good for snow?

What does "less cold" after 1/4 actually mean in probable sensory temps?

Are there any (somewhat) reliable analogs to what we are seeing this year?

1) The period around 12/30 should have sufficient cold in place. It looks like a pretty deep trough carves out over the SW US and a s/w ejects from it as it rides along the gulf coast and moves northeast.

2) Well less cold probably means both longevity and the intensity of it. However, I'm not sure how one is rating that or comparing it to. Also, it still could be pretty chilly relative to avg regardless of what happens.

3) Personally I am not aware of any real comparable analogs. Some other might. 

1) The period around 12/30 should have sufficient cold in place. It looks like a pretty deep trough carves out over the SW US and a s/w ejects from it as it rides along the gulf coast and moves northeast.

2) Well less cold probably means both longevity and the intensity of it. However, I'm not sure how one is rating that or comparing it to. Also, it still could be pretty chilly relative to avg regardless of what happens.

3) Personally I am not aware of any real comparable analogs. Some other might. 

The GFS certainly looks like maybe there's good cold beyond 1/04/15 in its latest OP run.

If we finish December with less than 4-5 inches in Boston seasonally theough 1/10 we're ratting.

Man oh man, something about that phrase makes me chuckle.

I think it reminds me of 2006-7 (my last winter in Boston) when we kissed 70 in January ... you were tossing that term around left and right, and I would occasionally see a dead rat behind my building and think, "Jerry warned me about this" (people say NYC has it bad, but certain pockets in Boston were some of the rattiest I've seen).

Of course, that winter turned on a dime WRT cold but never delivered in the snow department in E Ma.

Man oh man, something about that phrase makes me chuckle.

I think it reminds me of 2006-7 (my last winter in Boston) when we kissed 70 in January ... you were tossing that term around left and right, and I would occasionally see a dead rat behind my building and think, "Jerry warned me about this" (people say NYC has it bad, but certain pockets in Boston were some of the rattiest I've seen).

Of course, that winter turned on a dime WRT cold but never delivered in the snow department in E Ma.

There were certainly worse winters, though when all was said and done.

That winter was not a 2011-'12, for instance.

Archived