• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Ending out December with a Potential Pattern Change

CoastalWx

Well... hideous is probably an overstatement. I was texting with Scooter who said he didn't think it was that bad. 

Strong +NAO signal and pretty impressive SE ridging. Definitely not very Nino like but I think we're sort of playing with fire in the coastal plain. Some EPO ridging over AK so likely some cold to be bad in CONUS. 

Scott was saying that a positive NAO can be sometimes be a good thing depending on where its positioned. Cutting off surges of warm pacific air. Good to see the EPO there. Perhaps we can stay cold because if it's not an El Nino pattern were in maybe its more like a neutral ENSO pattern like last winter largely driver by a Negative EPO.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 18z GFS looks like the pattern in February 1994, whether or not it produces that good I doubt but it looks very similar

That was a record breaking year for SNE with regard to snowfall.  Great year that was....we'd get a storm a week it seemed.  Then in 95-96 that winter broke the 93-94 snowfall record.  Great years!!

I'm too young to remember the 94 season, I was only five years old.  Anyways 18z GFS is closer to something like the 12z EURO on the 29th storm system.  Time will tell in future model runs.

To bad you are too young James, it was a fabulous year if you were a winter weather lover.  We did have a big January thaw that year..warm windy rain storm or two in January, but then it set back in and continued to "go to town." 

Despite the fact it resembles 1994 that was also a month and a half later and also had a massive PV so odds are this gradient wouldn't setup as far south as that one did

Where does the gradient pattern set up ?. The euro weeklies, I know show a battlezone between the se ridge and the polar vortex being on our side of the globe with the  negative epo ridge Honestly, this pattern is better than the one that was purported before from the Euro which indicated frigid temperatures yes but drier as well and more worry about storm suppression as well.

Archived