northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Ending out December with a Potential Pattern Change

CoastalWx

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So 12/29, which should make it our last shot at salvaging December.....nothing before then, so....

Depending on the timing of shortwaves, we could get one last shot on 12/31 for the year 2014. That one has looked the best to me for snow since a few days ago...but the timing is uncertain...it could be more a 1/1 system too. At times, it has been 12/30 too.

Well the pattern overall is serviceable for SNE. It may actually be a good thing that the NAO is showing signs of last winter. Massively +, but in a position to help try and keep it cold. We are certainly playing with fire, but given what we have to work with...it could be a hell of a lot worse. 

Well the pattern overall is serviceable for SNE. It may actually be a good thing that the NAO is showing signs of last winter. Massively +, but in a position to help try and keep it cold. We are certainly playing with fire, but given what we have to work with...it could be a hell of a lot worse. 

We may be paralleling 2005 in the sense that the NAO begins to cooperate at the half way mark, not that I'm going to see 107.5" of snow. :lol: If you recall, the Jan blizzard-archimbault event was a manifestation of the modality responsible for that shift in the base state of the NAO. 

It is really a La Niña pattern over North America. Probably why we can get away with a +NAO as it appears on guidance. Usually Canada is warmer in El Niño so a +NAO kills us. But we'll see how long this La Niña regime lasts. I definitely still expect a transition to more typical El Niño with less gradient and more split flow as we go deeper into the winter. When that happens, we are going to need the -NAO to appear.

Anyway, for more short term in the next week or two, we should have a few chances. But we'll be rolling the dice with the shortwave nuances with fast flow and no downstream blocking. But given there should be pretty good cold around, there's a good chance of cashing in on one of these chances.

We may be paralleling 2005 in the sense that the NAO begins to cooperate at the half way mark, not that I'm going to see 107.5" of snow. :lol: If you recall, the Jan blizzard-archimbault event was a manifestation of the modality responsible for that shift in the base state of the NAO. 

My only concern is that I keep seeing these punches to the strat vortex, but the fooking thing is like Gumby. It bends, breaks, but then regains composure. Just has that feel of not getting a SSW event, but those events usually come on quick, so it would be dumb of me to say that. However, it's very tenacious, so I have some reserves.

I forgot: are SSWs the overrunning type events? 

Also, forget about the massive storms most of us want; what are the realistic chances of relatively frequent light frozen events in the pattern change that is upon us. They count for something and certainly make for a better winter ambiance than frozen and green/brown.

Also, forget about the massive storms most of us want; what are the realistic chances of relatively frequent light frozen events in the pattern change that is upon us. They count for something and certainly make for a better winter ambiance than frozen and green/brown.

Sudden Stratospheric Warming. 

You are thinking of Southwest Flow Event

No...lol. That term you refer to is a SWFE (SouthWest Flow Event) That's when the 850-500 flow is out of the SW and you get those overrunning events of snow and/or mixed precip. 

SSW means Sudden Stratospheric Warming. 

Jeez I thought the 29 was at risk of going west..lol. That changed. Although I would rather some winter temps if it were to be suppressed. With the low track being dependent on what happens a few days prior, I wouldn't really write anything off.

The EPS members are all over the place on that thing. 

Archived