Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Ending out December with a Potential Pattern Change

CoastalWx

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My god that blows to hell.

It doesn't look as bad or what we had in December, but it's not epic. Under the umbrella of an overall pattern, the little nuances of whether or not a pattern is snowy, simply can't be determined this far out. We still have the time time before NY and into the first half of Jan.

The pattern hasn't even flipped yet, we have two more cutters to go, but the end is in sight. Pissah. The $hit period lasted just over a month. "Good" period, what, 10 days??

Always bad when you start talking relaxation in the pattern and a decent one hasn't even started. Some stats Bluewave was throwing out was not good for nyc...best was 04-05...

The difference in January is sne could be like NNE in December and pick up a decent amount of snow in the relaxation period with the gradient, the end of the euro ensembles showed how that could be done with some gradient and most of on the right side of it.

Yeah like I said...you can't determine the nuances and timing of things, only the overall look. It's not terrible, but it looks like models are really all over the place in the Pacific.

Always bad when you start talking relaxation in the pattern and a decent one hasn't even started. Some stats Bluewave was throwing out was not good for nyc...best was 04-05...

We just have to wait and see.

2004-'05 was my second bes season on record and if you had showed me the seasonal H5 composite, I would have guessed it was a decent season.

No way was that an optimal set up.

Link his post?

We just have to wait and see.

2004-'05 was my second bes season on record and if you had showed me the seasonal H5 composite, I would have guessed it was a decent season.

No way was that an optimal set up.

Link his post?

I'm on my phone not sure how to share link, here is the post. Per bluewave, obv those stats might be better for sne

El Nino Decembers since 1980 when there was no strong -AO December signal

and the NYC seasonal snowfall.

82-83.........27.2

86-87.........23.1

87-88.........19.1

91-92.........12.6

94-95..........11.8

97-98..........5.5

04-05..........41.0

06-07..........12.4

I'm on my phone not sure how to share link, here is the post. Per bluewave, obv those stats might be better for sne

82-83.........27.2

86-87.........23.1

87-88.........19.1

91-92.........12.6

94-95..........11.8

97-98..........5.5

04-05..........41.0

06-07..........12.4

The '86-87 and '87-'88 winters were good in SNE...and '97-'98 wasn't nearly as bad up here as in the M.A....but those early 90s winters were awful.

Don't see a similar N PAC pattern to those winters though, so I'm not thinking we get that type of repeat.

The '86-87 and '87-'88 winters were good in SNE...and '97-'98 wasn't nearly as bad up here as in the M.A....but those early 90s winters were awful.

Don't see a similar N PAC pattern to those winters though, so I'm not thinking we get that type of repeat.

it would be nice not to see a repeat of that, although 04-05 was terrific down here. I just hope to keep the cold air in Canada...losing that at the start of December really set us back a bit. Along with other stuff

What are mets thoughts on the snow event Sunday/Monday?

Meh...anafrontal event without much cold air. I'm not high on it. IF I was up in NNE, I'd be more optimistic.

I've liked the one behind it better for a while...this 12/28 event kind of just appeared a day or two ago and it's before we get a good airmass in here. But can't rule out something from it.

Meh...anafrontal event without much cold air. I'm not high on it. IF I was up in NNE, I'd be more optimistic.

I've liked the one behind it better for a while...this 12/28 event kind of just appeared a day or two ago and it's before we get a good airmass in here. But can't rule out something from it.

So the dates might be 30-31?

So the dates might be 30-31?

Yeah I'd be more optimistic about the event near 12/31.

But honestly, I feel pretty silly talking about events 9 days away. Impatience is really building in here and folks just need to understand that snow doesn't come immediately all the time in the pattern flip. I'm sure we'll have plenty of chances in January too. The relaxing PAC (which looks more like a transient reshuffle) doesn't really bother me as much as some others on here...our climo is getting pretty cold by then and as long as it isn't an all-out death vortex up there, we can get some snow events.

That's kind of what happened in the first half of Jan 2005...we never really flipped the pattern that winter until around 1/15...but we got some snow events before that in an active (but not too cold) pattern...and it actually looks colder than that couple weeks even with the "relaxation".

In addition, the relaxation has been really volatile on the model guidance, so take it all with a grain of salt anyway beyond about D10-11 on the ensembles.

82-83.........27.2

86-87.........23.1

87-88.........19.1

91-92.........12.6

94-95..........11.8

97-98..........5.5

04-05..........41.0

06-07..........12.4

I found that.

Funny he mentioned 1986-'87 because I mentioned to the sne contigent that I was really taking to a couple of new analogs after seeing how December had evolved....the two were 1986-'87 and I think the other was 1965-'66, but I don't have the data in front of me. Will would know....huge January for snowfall.

This was part of my rationale for going really big on January with my seasonal update yesterday.

You can disregard '91 '94 and '06.....the Pacific is much different.

1982 featured the strongest Nino on record and 1997 the strongest.

I think what we are left with is doable.

I found that.

Funny he mentioned 1986-'87 because I mentioned to the sne contigent that I was really taking to a couple of new analogs after seeing how December had evolved....the two were 1986-'87 and I think the other was 1965-'66, but I don't have the data in front of me. Will would know....huge January for snowfall.

This was part of my rationale for going really big on January with my seasonal update yesterday.

Jan '87 had some great coastal storms. I remember those as a kid. One cut right through the barrier island off of Chatham.

Archived