Newest Member
    amirah5
Ending out December with a Potential Pattern Change

CoastalWx

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bingo it looks dry after Xmas with seasonable temps

No, no it does not. All long range operational and ensemble guidance suggests an active pattern going forward, active doesn't mean snow(Could be cutters, could be whiffs, could be hits, etc.), but I don't see dry whatsoever from the pattern going forward.

No, no it does not. All long range operational and ensemble guidance suggests an active pattern going forward, active doesn't mean snow(Could be cutters, could be whiffs, could be hits, etc.), but I don't see dry whatsoever from the pattern going forward.

Well, if its whiffs, then it's dry.. .does look active, though...

Well, if its whiffs, then it's dry

What I'm saying is that overall, it doesn't look like a dry look going forward. Could it end up dry due to bad timing/bad luck/incorrect modeling? Sure, but I'd say the odds favor precipitation chances continuing at least for the rest of 2014 and probably into Jan as well.

What I'm saying is that overall, it doesn't look like a dry look going forward. Could it end up dry due to bad timing/bad luck/incorrect modeling? Sure, but I'd say the odds favor precipitation chances continuing at least for the rest of 2014 and probably into Jan as well.

Yea, I know haha...I edited. Just bustn'....

Yea, I know haha...I edited. Just bustn'....

Lol I saw that edit but figured I'd let it stand.

Give us an active pattern and late Dec/Jan climo and I think we'll all be happy. Don't need a perfect pattern or even a good one to produce this time of year, just need to not have a bad one and I don't see any signs of a bad pattern coming up.

LongIslandWx14 is not optimistic of the pattern going forward, Euro Ensembles actually like 12/29 but I can't tell how much spread there is.

They've been all over this threat big time for several days. It's a real threat..probably bigger threat is to mix than OTS..since the cold push doesn't come in until after the storm leaves

Oh I see, two different events...one the 28-29th and one near the 1st.

EURO looks real amped and ugly for the New Year storm, but luckily that's a Day 10 prog.

Thats exactly how it looked with the now virtually nonexistent wave for the 26th-27th 6-7 days ago...its been blowing stuff up all month and was sort of doing that the last few winters. 

Thats exactly how it looked with the now virtually nonexistent wave for the 26th-27th 6-7 days ago...its been blowing stuff up all month and was sort of doing that the last few winters.

The GFS has had a system though around the 31st the past few days...some runs it's looked warmer than others. 12z GFS took it over New York State.

The EURO has a wave developing off the front towards the 29th period, while the GFS does not.

I posted earlier I'm not so sure I doubt the wave developing as I do it being near the coast, my hunch would be to say its a miss due to the wall of arctic air approaching the East Coast and the pattern out west being progressive still...these wave formations tend to only work out when the pattern out west is stable, when its still transitioning they usually end up out to sea.

I posted earlier I'm not so sure I doubt the wave developing as I do it being near the coast, my hunch would be to say its a miss due to the wall of arctic air approaching the East Coast and the pattern out west being progressive still...these wave formations tend to only work out when the pattern out west is stable, when its still transitioning they usually end up out to sea.

Yeah I read your thoughts previously, I think you may be right, I think towards the 30th and 31st is when the real storm occurs.

The cold push isn't until after that first storm. It's more likely to cut or mix than ots

Models have two separate shortwaves developing into surface waves of low pressure.  One goes into the ST Lawerence River Valley, while the second shortwave spawns a secondary low along the cold front as it stations itself over the Gulf Stream.  One model likes the solution of the secondary wave intensifying rapidly up the coast, while the GFS says nope.  The GGEM says the EURO might be onto something.

The cold push isn't until after that first storm. It's more likely to cut or mix than ots

Mix yes, cut no...that would be a virtual impossibility...the only thing that would cut is the 26th-27th event which is now pretty much dead in the water...the GFS still wants to do something with it but even its losing it, the Euro pretty much now has it as only a dying weak piece of energy scooting from the Midwest to the ERN Lakes.

Archived