• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
Ending out December with a Potential Pattern Change

CoastalWx

Jan '87 had some great coastal storms. I remember those as a kid. One cut right through the barrier island off of Chatham.

That season, and Jan 1966 (I think) are the two seasons that provided the impetus for me to update yesterday.

Whether the season is just solid or epic will be decided by what February and March does.

They didn't do very much in those two seasons....maybe the fact that the nIno is weaker will help, but who knows...

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking ahead, the -EPO tries to break down as a similar MJO wave that happened in late November to end that cold, may do the same again. So, increased PAC jet possible after the 5-10 or so. No sign of any real -NAO yet.

I thought you said the other day that the ePO is going to be sticking around for awhile. Screw the mjo

The biggest failure in the medium term that so many expected to happen was the wave-breaking event on Christmas to induce a -NAO block...looks totally different than 7-10 days ago. Almost a complete failure now. Just a really transient ridge that never even closes off briefly.

That's the kind of stuff that can screw up confidence in the long range. That -NAO would have been awesome for the pattern...but it's not going to happen except a briefly useless transient ridge there.

We'll be relying on the PAC for a while.

The biggest failure in the medium term that so many expected to happen was the wave-breaking event on Christmas to induce a -NAO block...looks totally different than 7-10 days ago. Almost a complete failure now. Just a really transient ridge that never even closes off briefly.

That's the kind of stuff that can screw up confidence in the long range. That -NAO would have been awesome for the pattern...but it's not going to happen except a briefly useless transient ridge there.

We'll be relying on the PAC for a while.

That grinch storm is just the absolute embodiment of the term. It couldn't even grinch right.....not only does it cut and ruin xmas, but it won't even blow up and give the midwest wennies a blizzard, while altering our pattern.

Utterly useless...I wish that fuc*ing sw would just evaporate.

I remember asking Scott if that could fook the duck and we was pretty dismissive of that occurrence.

I thought you said the other day that the ePO is going to be sticking around for awhile. Screw the mjo

It doesn't go away verbatim. Just weakens. You guys have to let real met disco flow and not somehow take words out of context. For instance, if someone says the pattern may not be great, don't interpret it as 2006-2007. There is too much of that going on and it really takes away from people putting their honest thoughts out on the board.  

In any case, it doesn't look bad. But, that amplitude of the -EPO ridge won't last. Maybe forcing can move closer to the dateline near mid month..a distinct possibility too. Snow has too many nuances and intangibles to see this far out, especially in New England where we don't need the planets to align like they do down in the MA. I wouldn't worry too hard right now. 

The biggest failure in the medium term that so many expected to happen was the wave-breaking event on Christmas to induce a -NAO block...looks totally different than 7-10 days ago. Almost a complete failure now. Just a really transient ridge that never even closes off briefly.That's the kind of stuff that can screw up confidence in the long range. That -NAO would have been awesome for the pattern...but it's not going to happen except a briefly useless transient ridge there.We'll be relying on the PAC for a while.

When things like that happen you know that this winter isn't going our way. Oh well

LR voodoo, just because it happened in Dec does not make it predictable in two weeks.

You can predict it with reasonable confidence. Don't use those stupid RMM dynamic progs. The difference is that composites for December vs January have different outcomes so that's where it can get tricky. 

It doesn't go away verbatim. Just weakens. You guys have to let real met disco flow and not somehow take words out of context. For instance, if someone says the pattern may not be great, don't interpret it as 2006-2007. There is too much of that going on and it really takes away from people putting their honest thoughts out on the board.

In any case, it doesn't look bad. But, that amplitude of the -EPO ridge won't last. Maybe forcing can move closer to the dateline near mid month..a distinct possibility too. Snow has too many nuances and intangibles to see this far out, especially in New England where we don't need the planets to align like they do down in the MA. I wouldn't worry too hard right now.

great post, but I am just going to let the bridge jumpers and the All Snows of the world carry on.

Nah too many things that should've happened by now aren't for instance the SSW looks to be a failure. It's one of those things where Last winter nobody really expecting the -EPO to be a huge player in the wx pattern. It's ok I expected a pretty lame winter anyway

Nah too many things that should've happened by now aren't for instance the SSW looks to be a failure. It's one of those things where Last winter nobody really expecting the -EPO to be a huge player in the wx pattern. It's ok I expected a pretty lame winter anyway

You aren't adding anything of substance with posts like these. You honestly have no idea what the rest of winter will bring.

If you have some actual meteorological insight as to why it will suck other than "too many things should have happened by now that didn't", then bring it on. Otherwise we should avoid filling this thread with emotional hyperbole about a crappy 3 weeks in December.

when did I say Epic? Looks like winter to me. Oh well

lol...am I in the right dimension this morning? I never used "epic"...but you just did to me.

Anyways...I feel confident up here wrt snow going forward. Even an early Dec pattern repeat gets me some decent chances with climo norms continuing to drop.

At this point in the game, it might be best to let the professionals speak here and just follow along with intelligent questions. Emotion just messes things up since it has no effect on the weather. Most of us WANT monster snowstorms and great cold, but I'd really like to understand the meteorology of what's going on. Who cares if we have some great event on the Euro ten days out only to see it disappear a few days later. The actual pattern, however seems somewhat more predictable. We've been told for a month that it might not come until Christmas or even after and it seems the pros were right. Its coming just after Christmas. Now its time to listen for the details.

It's funny how happy people would be if they saw the Feb 2010 500mb pattern. :lol:  And look what that did. Just too many nuances to determine snowfall so far out. All you can do is comment on the hemispheric pattern which for the most part can shed light on the potential...but the final outcome can be quite different than what you first thought.

Archived