amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Ending out December with a Potential Pattern Change

CoastalWx

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do see what he sees. I don't think he said it was bad, he mentioned how it could work against us and I don't disagree. It looks like almost some sort of a SWFE at the end and then more cold perhaps after it leaves. All I am saying is that it looks decent to me. 

yeah i didn't even say it was bad...just implied it was somewhat borderline depending on how things go. geez. lol.

i'd still take my chances with it anyway. 

There is limited Atlantic blocking for sure. We had bascially no Atlantic blocking last year but the PAC side was good so we still did fine...but you saw how when the PAC goes through relaxations without the ATL blocking, you can get cutters like we did several times last year.

That said, the ensembles perhaps hinted at some more east-based ATL blocking developing late in the run...but I usually want to see that get closer before actually assuming it will happen. We saw that a bunch of times last year too where we kept getting false east-based -NAO signals.

yeah i didn't even say it was bad...just implied it was somewhat borderline depending on how things go. geez. lol.

i'd still take my chances with it anyway. 

I did like seeing the vortex at 50mb split near the North Pole and a piece dive into SE Canada while a ridge developed near AK again. Not that I expect a direct coupling with the troposphere and immediate response, but to me it seemed that something like that occurring can help promote the same pattern anyways. 

Also, everything I see regarding MJO activity brings it to the maritime continent and to a position similar to last winter west of the dateline. I can't see this -EPO breaking down. It can waver around which ultimately has an impact on our sensible weather, but it still looks more of a Nina like pattern to me.

There is limited Atlantic blocking for sure. We had bascially no Atlantic blocking last year but the PAC side was good so we still did fine...but you saw how when the PAC goes through relaxations without the ATL blocking, you can get cutters like we did several times last year.

That said, the ensembles perhaps hinted at some more east-based ATL blocking developing late in the run...but I usually want to see that get closer before actually assuming it will happen. We saw that a bunch of times last year too where we kept getting false east-based -NAO signals.

yeah the ensembles have resembled last winter quite a bit over North America. basically all pacific driven and very little assistance from the atlantic side. 

might be a tad east but still blocked, also the PV looks in a pretty good spot but as you know 11-15 scores are low so it's basically a semantic disagreement

yeah i wasn't trying to be a debbie or a dinkus....was just making an observation. like i said before...area could certainly do well in that type of set-up. i was only pointing out a pronounced SW to NE flow from TX to NE and a few noticeable ripples in the flow...that combined with the PV lifting a bit...*could* be messy storms. that's all. 

could also easily be the kind of deal where cold press is solid and we have waves running out south of us. 

to me, just not a dead ringer of a perfect pattern. 1000x better than current set-up, however. 

yeah i wasn't trying to be a debbie or a dinkus....was just making an observation. like i said before...area could certainly do well in that type of set-up. i was only pointing out a pronounced SW to NE flow from TX to NE and a few noticeable ripples in the flow...that combined with the PV lifting a bit...*could* be messy storms. that's all. 

could also easily be the kind of deal where cold press is solid and we have waves running out south of us. 

to me, just not a dead ringer of a perfect pattern. 1000x better than current set-up, however.

Yeah, if we had been able to stick a good NAO block in place, the pattern would have been nearly perfect.

As is, we take it for sure. Hopefully some east-based blocking gets going, but I will noy count on it until it gets closer. The base pattern out there has been lower heights in Davis Straight for quite some time going back to last winter.

never meant to imply you were.

Yeah, if we had been able to stick a good NAO block in place, the pattern would have been nearly perfect.

As is, we take it for sure. Hopefully some east-based blocking gets going, but I will noy count on it until it gets closer. The base pattern out there has been lower heights in Davis Straight for quite some time going back to last winter.

Yeah it's kind of amusing - tough to even get a transient block. That area of low heights (sometimes lowest in entire NH) has been very persistent...thankfully it's in a favorable enough spot relative to the EPO domain to keep the arctic air flowing.

Steve, what would be so great about a cold and dry 1989 type pattern? I'd basically consider week in the tropics if I'd have to endure that kind of cold with not much snow. Remember I don't care about the pack but want the big storms.

? I just said that analog was more prevalent but encouraging on that point the days analoged were around the 15 th were a 8-12 away from the coast took place

I was a little excited going into this season with all the hype that I've read on here and the Cohen report and all the rest but I came back to the one thing that has always worried me. It's been a really, really long time since Boston has had three consecutive seasons of substantially above normal snowfall in row.  I think it goes back 35+ years? That's  a trend and as has been stated on these boards (and on others) the trend is your friend when it comes to forecasting.   Personally I think this will not be three in row  but that's just pure speculation.

Reading some of the suppression posts from last night... I'm the one that always worries about that, and I doubt you guys in SNE have anything to worry about regarding a pro-longed surpressed pattern.

Without a strong block and -NAO, any of these systems that turn the corner in the southeast could just slingshot up the coast tuckie-tuckie style.  I wouldn't worry about a significantly suppressed pattern, at least not in SNE.  Just gotta time it with some big Canadian high moving across the north.

Archived