• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    bowsunski
    Newest Member
    bowsunski
Ending out December with a Potential Pattern Change

CoastalWx

I always thought and will until my dieing day, and proved over and over again, last winter, 2013, 2011, that MJO and tropical forcing is the most overrated misused trendy term being used. Of course it has value but I have witnessed more fails by the brethren who swear by it than successes. It remains very much a difficult forecastable feature. I always take it with a grain of salt when it is brought into the convo especially at low amplitude.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still got to watch the ridge in AK that might retro in early January. This also opens up the door for a major storm. I still think any retro may be replaced by higher heights near the west coast after that towards mid month. You want storms, then you want the battle zone nearby. It also appears we go back to a +NAO, but one like last year that drives cold well into southern Canada. The EC now splits the 50mb vortex over the North Pole keeping a lobe down into Hudson Bay which will probably keep the cold into southern Canada at the very least.

Still got to watch the ridge in AK that might retro in early January. This also opens up the door for a major storm. I still think any retro may be replaced by higher heights near the west coast after that towards mid month. You want storms, then you want the battle zone nearby. It also appears we go back to a +NAO, but one like last year that drives cold well into southern Canada. The EC now splits the 50mb vortex over the North Pole keeping a lobe down into Hudson Bay which will probably keep the cold into southern Canada at the very least.

The se ridge is on both ensemble guidance now...by day 15 the cold to start the month looks pretty traisent....and like you said the -nao is not there for long...that blocking is really not ideal south of Greenland

The se ridge is on both ensemble guidance now...by day 15 the cold to start the month looks pretty traisent....and like you said the -nao is not there for long...that blocking is really not ideal south of Greenland

I'm not too worried up here about it. I don't think it will be a huge deal temp wise overall to New England.

kind of a funky pattern by the end of the ensembles. actually resembles the weeklies with that growing positive height anomaly east of us. 

the position of the vortex over Hudson Bay is going to be important.

Out of curiosity, how did the GFS op and GEFS look? Out with the masses Christmas shopping FTL

They look good...Hudson Bay PV and AK ridge...pretty active pattern it looks like too and plenty of cold. Looks like somewhat of an east-based -NAO late in the period...which would be good with the way the PAC is.

Archived