joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 19-21 Storm Thread

Deck Pic

• Replies 914
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't really have words for this solution except there is no way it can be right...lol...just weird....this is far from settled....

Yeah, the way the new run sets everything up is a little sketchy...definitely more on the table. Interesting to see what the ensembles say.

What's stopping the progression of the Northern Vort? I can't find anything that'd cause it to react like that.

I don't know, but it is pretty strong and it messes everything up...lol....you actually end up with a low off the cape.....congrats Syracuse and Congrats Blacksburg...how often does that happen from the "same" system....

One of the reasons why the system sliding off the Carolina Coast and bringiS  a significant snowstorm to Western North Carolina and Virginia and eastern portions of West Virginia...  iIs that there is a upstream feature or piece of energy that is located over California Nevada  on 12/ 20.  

The   building Ridge  in the jet stream  towards the British Columbia Coast  FORCES  the  weak shortwave over CAL. NV to amplify and move more rapidly to the east.  This in turn acts as an upstream "kicker "   which prevents the system coming up from Alabama and Georgia to make a sharp turn up the coast.

As a result the track is along the Carolina Coast which is   t good snowstorm that for eastern  WVA  Virginia  mrns of Western NC but bad for everybody north of DC

One of the reasons why the system sliding off the Carolina Coast and bringiS  a significant snowstorm to Western North Carolina and Virginia and eastern portions of West Virginia...  iIs that there is a upstream feature or piece of energy that is located over California Nevada  on 12/ 20.  

The   building Ridge  in the jet stream  towards the British Columbia Coast  FORCES  the  weak shortwave over CAL. NV to amplify and move more rapidly to the east.  This in turn acts as an upstream "kicker "   which prevents the system coming up from Alabama and Georgia to make a sharp turn up the coast.

As a result the track is along the Carolina Coast which is   t good snowstorm that for eastern  WVA  Virginia  mrns of Western NC but bad for everybody north of DC

Nice...thanks for the explanation.

00z Euro ensemble was good and bad.

The good:

- MUCH better agreement amongst the ensemble members this run. The 500 mb pattern is more tightly clustered and has only several major outliers.

- Despite weaker solution, still has a decent trough at 500 mb that is deeper, more consolidated than the Op.

- Still has decent snow a ways N+W of I-95, and the I-81 corridor remains the focal point for the bigger snow totals.

- Everyone has 0.5"+ QPF.

The bad:

- Much weaker low in the means (we're talking 8-10 mb weaker... a significant shift).

- The weaker storm caused QPF to drop by a guesstimate of 0.2-0.3" for most spots.

EDIT to add: - Naturally, with the weaker+drier storm, surface temps bumped up a little.

00z Euro ensemble was good and bad.

The good:

- MUCH better agreement amongst the ensemble members this run. The 500 mb pattern is more tightly clustered and has only several major outliers.

- Despite weaker solution, still has a decent trough at 500 mb that is deeper, more consolidated than the Op.

- Still has decent snow N+W of I-95, and the I-81 corridor remains the focal point for the bigger snow totals.

- Everyone has 0.5"+ QPF.

The bad:

- Much weaker low in the means (we're talking 8-10 mb weaker... a significant shift).

- The weaker storm caused QPF to drop by a guesstimate of 0.2-0.3" for most spots.

Thanks for posting this.  The thing that jumped out to me at first looking at the  EPS was the much weaker low in the means, too.  

The timing between the OP and EPS looks off.  For example, at hour 138, the OP low is 1012 SE of Hatteras while the EPS mean low is due east of Ocean City and due south of the tip of LI.  At hour 144, the OP's low is 1012 just off OBX.  The EPS mean at hour 144 is well NE of there (due east of Ocean City and due south of Cape Cod).  Thoughts?

Thanks for posting this.  The thing that jumped out to me at first looking at the  EPS was the much weaker low in the means, too.  

The timing between the OP and EPS looks off.  For example, at hour 138, the OP low is 1012 SE of Hatteras while the EPS mean low is due east of Ocean City and due south of the tip of LI.  At hour 144, the OP's low is 1012 just off OBX.  The EPS mean at hour 144 is well NE of there (due east of Ocean City and due south of Cape Cod).  Thoughts?

I have no thoughts. I'm not terribly concerned with the exacts of the Euro Op (or any Op) solutions at this point.

I'm not sure its gone yet.  The gfs members at 6z had probably their best look yet.  The SREFS (I'm already ducking) show a slower and slightly deeper progression at h5.  Slower would have to be better wouldn't it?

Trying to be optimistic.  Still 4 days to go.

It'll shift back a little to tease us, for sure.

I'm not sure its gone yet.  The gfs members at 6z had probably their best look yet.  The SREFS (I'm already ducking) show a slower and slightly deeper progression at h5.  Slower would have to be better wouldn't it?

Trying to be optimistic.  Still 4 days to go.

Fwiw WPC likes a blend of the Euro op and ens. At this point its a decent bet some place in the region will see a minor to moderate event. Best chance would be where heavier precip coincides with elevation obviously, given marginal temps. I suppose at this point the higher elevations of W VA would be a decent spot to be.

The PGFS showed a pretty weak low, but a much more organized precip shield.  In that sense, it's a victory, simply because the GFS (and I assume it's little brother) history has precip shield issues with Miller A or Bs.  

Not sure why so glum here too, every major model shows some type of snow falling in the cities,  Not to mention, we are not talking about some type of hail mary here to turn this into a moderate impact event...with 4.5 days out the EPS is still spitting out nearly triple the QPF of the deterministic for JYO.  We all know how this goes, the ensembles are still very useful and telling up to about 84 hours from an event.  While the super amped up solution seems very unlikely, i'm not sure we wanted the low to track that far west to begin with.

Call it a hunch or decorated weenism, but this may trend stronger over the next 48 hours.

The PGFS showed a pretty weak low, but a much more organized precip shield.  In that sense, it's a victory, simply because the GFS (and I assume it's little brother) history has precip shield issues with Miller A or Bs.  

Not sure why so glum here too, every major model shows some type of snow falling in the cities,  Not to mention, we are not talking about some type of hail mary here to turn this into a moderate impact event...with 4.5 days out the EPS is still spitting out nearly triple the QPF of the deterministic for JYO.  We all know how this goes, the ensembles are still very useful and telling up to about 84 hours from an event.  While the super amped up solution seems very unlikely, i'm not sure we wanted the low to track that far west to begin with.

Call it a hunch or decorated weenism, but this may trend stronger over the next 48 hours.

I love the word weenism - LOL! I too think it will trend stronger.. I hope we see some model consistency starting at 12z even if it sucks for MBY..

Archived