• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 19-21 Storm Thread

Deck Pic

Those of us reading or posting on the message boards were cautiously excited by Wednesday. The general public, though, was kind of like "?!" Friday morning when the warnings got raised and the 12"+ amounts were officially in all the forecasts.

Even Thursday evening at a large choir rehearsal, most were aware of the WSWatch, but no one else was thinking of the possibility of 20".

I remember leaving my rehearsal that Friday night to go to dinner and checked the warning text; 10-20" for totals. Ahh so crazy.

Snow started around 10pm on Frederick and didn't stop until 9-10 the next night. What. A. Day.

• Replies 914
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know full well the SREF's have been of limited use in the past few years, at least here in the M.A., and the end of the run is a couple % points above useless.....BUT, this 6-hr. precip map at 87 hrs. off the 21 Z run just has love written all over it for the M.A. wrt location, trajectory looking at the 5H and 250mb maps, etc.

should this not come to fruition this time, then maybe soon enough in light of the MR ensembles

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/Image.php?fhr=087ℑ=data%2Fsref%2F21%2Fsref_namer_087_precip_p06.gif&model=sref&area=namer&param=precip_p06&group=Model+Guidance&preselected_formatted_cycle_date=20141215+21+UTC&imageSize=&ps=model

I know full well the SREF's have been of limited use in the past few years, at least here in the M.A., and the end of the run is a couple % points above useless.....BUT, this 6-hr. precip map at 87 hrs. off the 21 Z run just has love written all over it for the M.A. wrt location, trajectory looking at the 5H and 250mb maps, etc.

should this not come to fruition this time, then maybe soon enough in light of the MR ensembles

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/Image.php?fhr=087ℑ=data%2Fsref%2F21%2Fsref_namer_087_precip_p06.gif&model=sref&area=namer&param=precip_p06&group=Model+Guidance&preselected_formatted_cycle_date=20141215+21+UTC&imageSize=&ps=model

Didn't the SREF pull a couple of wins last winter?

you sound like you're at the fat farm for treatment and walking around calling everyone a pig

I guess I just don't why anyone makes a comment when somebody posts a model pic

Mitch, anybody with the seeds to post the CFS certainly can post the SREFS.... :)

Can I say I don't think the NAM would lead to the weak solution of the GFS? Oops, even I know to not look at that model at that range. Oh well, here's to good global runs tonight.

Weren't their glory days 09/10?  That was the first winter I started tracking storms (joined Eastern that year) and I remember thinking the NAM/SREFs were golden.  I'm proudly a weenie now but I was a WEENIE back then.   :)

The end of the SREF run is like 36 hours before the storm moves into the immediate area here. I don't think anyone was looking at SREF in this range in 2009.

Weren't their glory days 09/10?  That was the first winter I started tracking storms (joined Eastern that year) and I remember thinking the NAM/SREFs were golden.  I'm proudly a weenie now but I was a WEENIE back then.   :)

they actually did do well that year, but more so in that they lined up with everything once there was a consensus

I could be wrong, but I don't think they "led the way"

just where I want you      :P

there's a lot lost between a poster's intent and how a post reads...the shortcomings of this "new" medium

I'm glad I'm not young and have to 1) deal with it , and 2) care

I'd actually be kinda interested in seeing the members now as it's pretty wet and north compared to the globals. (you made me look). I don't usually look at SREF till like 36-48 out tho and never really at the members unless they are posted. But... fairly confident it's entirely useless to us right now.

The end of the SREF run is like 36 hours before the storm moves into the immediate area here. I don't think anyone was looking at SREF in this range in 2009.

Right, I think we all know they're useless now, but its something to look at until the GFS shows yet another weak solution probably.  

they actually did do well that year, but more so in that they lined up with everything once there was a consensus

I could be wrong, but I don't think they "led the way"

Yeah, I don't recall them leading the way, but I remember using them as a guide for QPF trends at the very least, I guess similar to how I use them now.  Since it seemed nothing could go wrong that winter and most things trended in our favor, SREFs ended up locked in with most globals.  

Mitch, anybody with the seeds to post the CFS certainly can post the SREFS.... :)

Can I say I don't think the NAM would lead to the weak solution of the GFS? Oops, even I know to not look at that model at that range. Oh well, here's to good global runs tonight.

Its ok to discuss any model, especially if you're doing it with caveats and know the biases/weakness/crapiness of said model.  Model discussion is different that say, using that model verbatim to forecast.

That being said, yeah..it's the NAM..we know it's useless, but I agree with your assessment of it.

Right, I think we all know they're useless now, but its something to look at until the GFS shows yet another weak solution probably.  

Yeah, I don't recall them leading the way, but I remember using them as a guide for QPF trends at the very least, I guess similar to how I use them now.  Since it seemed nothing could go wrong that winter and most things trended in our favor, SREFs ended up locked in with most globals.  

You're thinking of this run 24 hrs. prior to 12/19/09 storm I think

post-821-0-39324600-1418700972_thumb.gif

Haha. Yeah I was just pulling the ultimate weenie move and trying to extrapolate the NAM myself. 

Archived