e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Dec 9-10 Storm Observation Thread

dryslot

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

in NYC.  moderate snow and the radar looks like something out of a 09-10 freak show.

Brings nightmares of the late Feb storm (round 2) that year, cold rain in Maine and snow in NYC.  At 3 PM, AUG was reporting mixed precip (a stray pinger?) with 35/33, and that's the coldest obs in Maine south of CAR.  Updated forecast has my zone with up to 1" thru tomorrow.  I'm at the SE edge of the zone, and would be surprised if the vehicles get re-whitened.

how how long is it going to take for those radar echoes to rotate further north and east ?it seems like they're almost sitting over Southwest Connecticut NYC and southeast New York

After 7:00 or so. Look for everything to kind of blossom or fill in. See those echoes in ECt moving west? It will all just kind of fill in statewide into a steady light snow

Yet another classic PF snow dumpage when you were negative yesterday :lol:

don't move to the cp, i don't know if you would survive :lol:

Ha, well I think a lot of you misinterpret the negativity a lot. I'm actually hemming and hawing over these forecasts for the mountain and it's not just some weenie emotional issues. I look at forecasting like you start setting expectations a few days out for a given scenario. Then I want to stick with that but I have to look at what could go wrong for said scenario to bust. The assumption is the forecast should be right, so I look for reasons why it won't be right.

Also the expectations between someone on the CP and say up here is different. And I can see where folks not expecting snow in this forum view it as negativity (ie any snow is better than no snow), I've got folks in operations thinking 2 feet is coming when all the sudden it falls apart a little on the models, that's what I want to discuss. Not just yay it's going to snow.

But it's like yesterday in Burlington...the forecast went from 5-10" then 4-8" and it was really struggling. Eyewall got 3.5", which is less than forecast, but in the eyes of this forum 3.5" is better than 0.0". So folks say he complained his way to a good event...but it's still less than expected a couple days ago.

lol. For this storm I'm starting to feel like ORH does in SNE, far enough in any direction to get something fun.

But we've been lowest relative to average in New England the 3 of the past 4 winters, so it works out over time.

How much total iNBY so far? Mountain looks like its getting croaked, 2 feet at 3000? by tomorrow? whats this put you at for the season?

This whole system has been like a Feb 2010 lite and just a bit further east to get VT/Berks in on it instead of all central NY.

Steady nice snow.  Definitely getting colder, snow starting to blow around just a bit.

Dec10_zpsdvscrjtz.gif

Also a 100 kt upper-level easterly jet streak is progged to develop across southern QC tonight, coincident with low-level northerly and northeasterly WAA in the vicinity of the trowal axis. Very reminiscent of the 25-28 Feb 2010 and even to some degree 2-3 January 2010. 

We're pushing 9" here just north of ALB with a warning finally issued by the NWS. 

Spotted a couple flakes on the windshield a half hour ago. Very misty...but right after I crossed tovthe south of 95, had some snowflakes mix in. Don't see that often. Looks like black ice could be an issue in spots overnight? Did see a dot truck out along route 1 pretreating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived