• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Dec 9-10 Storm Observation Thread

dryslot

That band over Albany doesn't look to move very much over the next few hrs as it just sorta pivots / changes orientation without much change in mean position.  Someone could pick up some really steep accums while someone 10mi east gets shafted.

Classic signal for giant aggregates falling in Albany now on radar. 60 dbz pixels showing up with low CC and high ZDR. 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Classic signal for giant aggregates falling in Albany now on radar. 60 dbz pixels showing up with low CC and high ZDR. 

Probably a decent water coating on them as well. Also, an extreme dendritic growth signature is present with KDP up to 1.5 deg/km NE of KENX. You can even see some spikes in ZDR beyond 50 km range that may be depolarization streaks due to ice crystals oriented by an electric field.

post-869-0-44611000-1418165233_thumb.png

You'll probably flash over to big aggregates and pound for a while when the good lift gets in there...that's what happened down south in Killington, Sunapee and Mount Snow...they were kind of ugly early on and now have been piling it up just hammering down aggregates.

Yeah that's what I'm hoping...try to salvage a few inches out of this.  Its coming down pretty steadily out there in the form of like chunky rain with about 1.5-2" of material down.  Its accumulating something, likely sleet or frozen cores because shoveled areas are a crusty white again.  

I'll tell you what, I was shoveling that little amount and it felt heavier than a foot of upslope, haha.  Will be awful ALC-tearing skiing but I guess its good for the base.

Is that the lowest elevation in MPV

MPV has some low elevations, in fact the actual city on the Winooski River is pretty low.  The Winooski doesn't drop that much from MPV to BTV...I'd bet most of Montpelier proper like where the Capital buildings are 500-580ft, so he's a little higher than the city itself. The ASOS and airport though is almost 1200ft.

Square is now shut down.

Always has been the Flood Capital in SNE, just keeping face.

Loop this: http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/east/eaus/flash-avn.html

focus on the area 300 mi ESE of the Carolina's coast.. That is a zygote baroclinic leaf there and probably the first signs of the 2nd wave the models have been developing... Note it's different that the convective elements farther N out over the G-string.

Another Freudian slip. Does this mean we get orgasmized later? 

At 5:45 there was about 1" of new snow in Clifton Park - accumulated in about half an hour.  Roads were annihilated in a matter of minutes.  Just monster, 3" diameter aggregate bombs.  Albany is a touch warmer and slightly less accumulation so far.  The western hills must be getting clobbered.  Those spots could easily pick of several inches with a little elevation so long as the heavier bands hang around a little bit.

Ahh, the dreaded rainer. Early december, all the weenies in sne have their sight on a white start to the season, all hopes are dashed and morale is low. Now we see the deform band setting up over the berks/alb/some moose out west that gets so buried in dendrites that he can't move. All the weenies are trying to research new hobbies or distract themselves at the pit patter of rain on their windowsill. Undoubtedly, there will be a few more classic meltdowns in the coming weeks ahead as the pattern will tease us before flipping into a fantastic winter. I remember storms like these as a kid staring at the weather channel radar when I couldn't believe the 21F degree air had flipped to a 50F windy rainstorm @ Logan. No fun, especially when you have no clue why it happened.

It's still so early really, especially at the CP. Of course we have had storms come earlier, but it's really not even close to the heart of winter yet for a place like Boston next to the harbor. Keep cooling that ocean down and give me a stalling storm track in late january.

Buddy of mine just texted that it's nuking at exit 5 on I-89 in VT....that it went from rain/sleet to like 3"/hr snows with 50ft visibility in like a matter of a couple miles.

That must be that heavy band lifting north.

That stretch of 89 gets up over 1600' and gets pretty rugged at times. Hopefully it pivots through here.

Archived