Newest Member
    joxey
Dec 9-10 Storm Observation Thread

dryslot

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice dumpage

West Longitude was your friend, what is your elevation?

It sure was, the flakes were massive, I don't think I have seen that size flakes at that intensity before.

I am down in the valley at 450', usually being bummed as a mile up the road gets twice the amount or snow instead of rain.

Snow starting to taper off now as the deformation band reorganizes and pivots further... we might continue to get off and on snow, but the heaviest stuff is probably over with. We probably have a touch more than 3" total. Not bad for something that looked like a complete bust 3 hours ago.

Temp: 32.8 F

Dewpoint: 32.8 F

Storm 2 of 2 where poo poo Powderfreak gets nailed after all. I like that nick name.

I said 5-10" for this first wave... we'll hit the low end of that.  I'm happy with it.  We aren't getting the 10-14" though first forecast by BTV through 15z Wed.

The perspective is definitely different between "no snow" and "5-6 inches".  Obviously this is "getting nailed" for this storm, but you can't say its any more impressive than first thought.  Its reaching forecast not a positive bust.

Its still raining 2 miles up the road at a higher elevation. I do not understand.

I'm going to try to put this on a map or something. Its incredible the local differences from the bar I was at to my house...I dropped in elevation down the road 2 miles and the snow tripled.

Two things I can think of. One is that the heavier echoes further southeast in the beginning dynamically flipped you to snow. Second, some funky things going on at the Worcester range from deep Easterly flow. Maybe a subsidence issue up the road. You can get weird **** with marginal temps , and deep erly flow.

Giving up....it's the best band some have seen all season. You could prob take a ten minute drive and see it. Good luck hope you flip.

Actually some of it is I have all season (don't have the money for snow tires) and I would normally borrow my dad's subaru but he is about ready to go bed at this point :)

not on the Euro

True, depends on what model you believe. NAM's +3C at the start but then cools, but total precip is less, probably 0.3" post 850 cooling. GFS is +2C then cools Wednesday evening with probably 0.4" post cooldown in the real wave, and then hundredths for days after that haha.

Two things I can think of. One is that the heavier echoes further southeast in the beginning dynamically flipped you to snow. Second, some funky things going on at the Worcester range from deep Easterly flow. Maybe a subsidence issue up the road. You can get weird **** with marginal temps , and deep erly flow.

I think I've figured it out... I'm putting up a map in a second.  This is wild.

Folks are posting that its pouring at Stowe Forks too which is further up the road.

Here's what is happening and has been happening all evening.

Craziest thing I've seen since living here.

950ft its +RN, sometimes mixing with snow, closer to Mt Mansfield (picture).  Note low accums on car windshields.  

At 750ft its +SN with 4"+ down.

This map corresponds to current observations and photo sites.  Even up at the 1,500ft base area its a mix of rain and snow.  I've never gone from dumpage in town to not at the mountain.  Never.  But it is dumping all snow above 2,000ft at the mountain.

The only thing I can think of is NE wind is downsloping off the Sterling Ridge to the north, whereas in town its not.

Here's what is happening and has been happening all evening.

Craziest thing I've seen since living here.

950ft its +RN, sometimes mixing with snow, closer to Mt Mansfield (picture).  Note low accums on car windshields.  

attachicon.gifrain.jpg

At 750ft its +SN with 4"+ down.

attachicon.gifsnow1.jpg

This map corresponds to current observations and photo sites.  Even up at the 1,500ft base area its a mix of rain and snow.  I've never gone from dumpage in town to not at the mountain.  Never.  But it is dumping all snow above 2,000ft at the mountain.

The only thing I can think of is NE wind is downsloping off the Sterling Ridge to the north, whereas in town its not.

attachicon.gifmap.jpg

downslope?

Archived