• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
Dec 9-10 Storm Observation Thread

dryslot

I don't even live there and I find it fascinating lol. That is just strange. Based on what PF said, must be some sort of downsloping/warming.

Yeah, because groomers are saying its heavy snow above about 1,800ft right now...so probably that last 1,000ft is what is causing compressional warming just enough to go from 32F to 34F.  The snow is so wet in town at 32F, that it makes sense at 34F its just a mixture.  The freezing like behind the ridge is just 1,000ft higher than outside of the ridge.

What I'm wondering is, if this is happening here, I'm sure there are a ton of local meso-scale nuances up and down the mountains depending on minor topography factors.  Its just that marginal of a column that small things that normally don't come into play, are making a big difference.  It hasn't been affecting precip intensity, but definitely snowfall/temps.  

I'm just surprised that big frontogenic band didn't even flip everywhere over to snow, that meso-scale feature over-rode that massive lift.

I bet the PNS report of snowfall totals are all over the place tomorrow morning, even within small areas.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've got some pines, but nothing near the home.  Pines are drooping to the ground though, lol.

Got a report of 6" in Morrisville.

Yeah, because groomers are saying its heavy snow above about 1,800ft right now...so probably that last 1,000ft is what is causing compressional warming just enough to go from 32F to 34F.  The snow is so wet in town at 32F, that it makes sense at 34F its just a mixture.  The freezing like behind the ridge is just 1,000ft higher than outside of the ridge.

What I'm wondering is, if this is happening here, I'm sure there are a ton of local meso-scale nuances up and down the mountains depending on minor topography factors.  Its just that marginal of a column that small things that normally don't come into play, are making a big difference.  It hasn't been affecting precip intensity, but definitely snowfall/temps.  

I'm just surprised that big frontogenic band didn't even flip everywhere over to snow, that meso-scale feature over-rode that massive lift.

I bet the PNS report of snowfall totals are all over the place tomorrow morning, even within small areas.

Lol oh its going to be interesting.

Got a report of 6" in Morrisville.

Lol oh its going to be interesting.

Yeah I haven't gone out to measure lately, but wouldn't surprise me if we are close to 6" judging by how hard its been snowing since 8pm.  Band keeps reforming but weaker than before...still moderate though.

I liked Killington's photo...

10857953_10152656461939401_5658373579839

Yeah I haven't gone out to measure lately, but wouldn't surprise me if we are close to 6" judging by how hard its been snowing since 8pm.  Band keeps reforming but weaker than before...still moderate though.

I liked Killington's photo...

10857953_10152656461939401_5658373579839

Not quite I-90 in the Lake Effect ;)  haha

Looking forward to Snow reports up and down the green mountain spine tomorrow a.m.

Pickles you know this area...so get this:

Dumping at home about to verify winter storm warning.

Then it's flooding rains at Topnotch, Northern Lights, Innsbruck Inn, Matterhorn (like literally water ponding in the yards), then it goes to snow with a few inches at 1,500ft.

Stowe may have a wide range tomorrow...like 3-10" from base to summit.

Pickles you know this area...so get this:

Dumping at home about to verify winter storm warning.

Then it's flooding rains at Topnotch, Northern Lights, Innsbruck Inn, Matterhorn (like literally water ponding in the yards), then it goes to snow with a few inches at 1,500ft.

Stowe may have a wide range tomorrow...like 3-10" from base to summit.

Ya it's difficult to imagine.

I mean especially since that meso scale p type phenomena has been going on for hours now.

It's probably snowing at Ye olde English inn (or what used to be prior to closing ) and raining at stowehof (just east of Top Notch)  the last two places I have stayed there. Bizarro and absolutely not what I would expect.

Depending on how long that band parks over Mansfield you may have a bit higher up at picnic tables.

The social media posts in this area are hilarious...one friend makes a post wishing the rain would go away, another person asks if he's joking. No not joking it's pouring. What? I just ran the snowblower through 6-8" and you live higher than me.

Haha. You coastal front guys probably see this type of gradient a lot. We do too with elevation events but not reverse elevation events.

Ya it's difficult to imagine.

I mean especially since that meso scale p type phenomena has been going on for hours now.

It's probably snowing at Ye olde English inn (or what used to be prior to closing ) and raining at stowehof (just east of Top Notch) the last two places I have stayed there. Bizarro and absolutely not what I would expect.

That's exactly what is happening.

6"+ at Old English Inn (800ft) and like 2-3" of waterlogged slush at Stowhof even though it's at like 1200ft.

PF, I saw that happen in the 90's up in Carrabassett. Dumping at my brother's in Kingfield at 800', paste at Sugarloaf Base lodge, slop fest most of the hill from like 2000' to 3500' and powder fest on top!

My buddy was snow making and ski patrol. He offered to take us up on a groomer to stay indoors up high and get first tracks. Two of us in the party, myself included, thought better of it and declined. The four guys that went had an intense trip down the Mt going from powder to shin slicing ice on paste.

Band Over Stowe seems to get re-energized last half hour. Some power issues with that high moisture content paste should be increasing rather quickly.

It's really backed off and even started dropping out of the trees. As precip lightened up I went from 31.8F to 33.4F now. Pretty classic end of dynamic cooling. I'll go take a final measurement as this may start to melt overnight with less OTG in the AM.

Unfortunately not a storm where strong CAA freezes it up and keeps it firm. This is the wettest snow I can remember in some time. Just a soggy mess.

Archived