EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
Dec 9-10 Storm Observation Thread

dryslot

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's what is happening and has been happening all evening.

Craziest thing I've seen since living here.

950ft its +RN, sometimes mixing with snow, closer to Mt Mansfield (picture).  Note low accums on car windshields.  

attachicon.gifrain.jpg

At 750ft its +SN with 4"+ down.

attachicon.gifsnow1.jpg

This map corresponds to current observations and photo sites.  Even up at the 1,500ft base area its a mix of rain and snow.  I've never gone from dumpage in town to not at the mountain.  Never.  But it is dumping all snow above 2,000ft at the mountain.

The only thing I can think of is NE wind is downsloping off the Sterling Ridge to the north, whereas in town its not.

attachicon.gifmap.jpg

I think my theory may have something PF. There are some terrain effects going on. Unless there is some weird channeling of cold in your valley?

Want my guess?

Blocked east flow. The Froude Numbers are 0.50 or so on east flow right now. That's pretty blocked (the equivalent of snow making it back into the eastern part of the CPV on west flow). So perhaps the best upslope ascent is actually being felt well east of the mountains (over the village) since its so blocked, and the highest precip rates are there (hence the snow) rather than along the mountain chain itself like you'd expect.

I think my theory may have something PF. There are some terrain effects going on. Unless there is some weird channeling of cold in your valley?

Yeah it appears to be a NE wind doing it.  Stowe Village would be done on an east wind as there's higher terrain to the east (not in this topo map) which is the Worecester Range.  However, on a NE wind, the Sterling Ridge there comes into play so although the road elevation is getting higher as it goes towards the mountain, the downslope becomes more severe because the ridgeline also gets higher.

Its truly one of the most interesting meso-scale things I've ever seen here.  I'll remember this storm for that already.

Want my guess?

Blocked east flow. The Froude Numbers are 0.50 or so on east flow right now. That's pretty blocked (the equivalent of snow making it back into the eastern part of the CPV on west flow). So perhaps the best upslope ascent is actually being felt well east of the mountains (over the village) since its so blocked, and the highest precip rates are there (hence the snow) rather than along the mountain chain itself like you'd expect.

Is it east?  I figured it was NE and coming over the Sterling Ridge.

Want my guess?

I'm gonna weenie out on this because its the most absurd thing I've seen...not like a difference of a half inch but like 3-4" in 2 miles.

Wouldn't a blocked east flow be on the otherside of the Worecester Range (the ridge where Putnam State Forest is), and then downslope into Stowe Village?  Or could it downslope and then blocked again in the little valley between the Spine and Worecester Ridge?

Is it east?  I figured it was NE and coming over the Sterling Ridge.

It is northeast (I was simply referencing east vs. west). It could be downsloping off Sterling Ridge too. Stowe Village is open to the northeast, with the spine just west, so I would be okay saying its either since I don't have any better explanations lol.

I'm gonna weenie out on this because its the most absurd thing I've seen...not like a difference of a half inch but like 3-4" in 2 miles.

Wouldn't a blocked east flow be on the otherside of the Worecester Range (the ridge where Putnam State Forest is), and then downslope into Stowe Village?  Or could it downslope and then blocked again in the little valley between the Spine and Worecester Ridge?

attachicon.gifmap2.jpg

Depends on how mesoscale we're talking. And on a northeast wind, Stowe is open to the Northeast so that's a pretty good fetch it could get without coming over the Worcester Range. it might just as easily be downsloping off Sterling too. I'm totally speculating.

Depends on how mesoscale we're talking. And on a northeast wind, Stowe is open to the Northeast so that's a pretty good fetch it could get without coming over the Worcester Range. it might just as easily be downsloping off Sterling too. I'm totally speculating.

But yes you would usually think of downsloping into the village of Stowe on an East wind.

Want my guess?

Well you would still have upslope at the mountain no? What about the range to the east? Isn't there a 10 Mile wide difference? I could see the blocked flow if there were no terrain to the east, but not sure if that's the car with the terrain right there to the east as well?

Well you would still have upslope at the mountain no? What about the range to the east? Isn't there a 10 Mile wide difference? I could see the blocked flow if there were no terrain to the east, but not sure if that's the car with the terrain right there to the east as well?

If its blocked enough, there wouldn't be as much actually at the mountain as in the valley. The mountain is "felt" further east. But yeah the terrain to the east should add some downsloping. Perhaps since its Northeast winds it could be missing the Worcester range and coming in through the opening in the mountains through Morrisville? Funneling between the Worcester Range and Green Spine.

This has got to be microscale haha.

Is that Sterling range tall? Maybe it's just enough to boost temps a degree or so. I have to look at the terrain. Would a northeast wind gently upslope from that area to the village? I mean it must be a temp thing since it sounds like precip rates are good in both places.

Is that Sterling range tall? Maybe it's just enough to boost temps a degree or so. I have to look at the terrain. Would a northeast wind gently upslope from that area to the village? I mean it must be a temp thing since it sounds like prexy rates are good in both places.

Yeah the Sterling ridge sits between 2000-3500ft as it gets closer to the real Spine near Mansfield.

It truly is crazy.  The fronto band overhead is heavy at both spots.  And there is a definite transition zone from no snow on the road to like 3-4" and horrible road conditions.

Probably never know for sure, but I think its downslope compressional warming.  My car was saying 34F up there and 32F at home.

Gray Maine  Public info statement shows

8.0 as of 830 pm  In Gorham, NH

Albany Reports 12.0 in Wilmington, Vt as of 6pm.

8.5 in Woodford at 345 pm so ya well over a foot there i'm sure.

Burlington Public info statement shows

Mt. Holly with 13 and Killington with 12.0 as of almost 8pm.

Is that Sterling range tall? Maybe it's just enough to boost temps a degree or so. I have to look at the terrain. Would a northeast wind gently upslope from that area to the village? I mean it must be a temp thing since it sounds like precip rates are good in both places.

Yeah the Sterling ridge sits between 2000-3500ft as it gets closer to the real Spine near Mansfield.

It truly is crazy.  The fronto band overhead is heavy at both spots.  And there is a definite transition zone from no snow on the road to like 3-4" and horrible road conditions.

Probably never know for sure, but I think its downslope compressional warming.  My car was saying 34F up there and 32F at home.

Yeah it certainly could be downslope off the Ridge (especially now that you note its heavy precip at both locations). I guess you'd have to see just how localized the effect is. Does the warm temp and snow minimum follow the spine down or is it solely just downwind of Sterling Ridge.

Yeah it certainly could be downslope off the Ridge (especially now that you note its heavy precip at both locations). I guess you'd have to see just how localized the effect is. Does the warm temp and snow minimum follow the spine down or is it solely just downwind of Sterling Ridge.

Tomorrow will be interesting.

Anyway, we are now getting damaging snow.  I've seen some friends post they are without power.  This is a huge tree that just came down on Park Street in the Village.

One helluva lucky homeowner right there.  That tree would've totaled that house.

Anyway, we are now getting damaging snow.  I've seen some friends post they are without power.  This is a huge tree that just came down on Park Street in the Village.

One helluva lucky homeowner right there.  That tree would've totaled that house.

attachicon.gifTreesdown.jpg

Wow, Scott any trees in your yard that threaten

That tree looks rotted pretty bad mixture of heavy wet snow and wind? Also maybe the mountain is stuck in a warm wedge and your getting just enough of a cold inflow kind of like how it can snow in nyc and rain here just on a way smaller scale lol

Anyway, we are now getting damaging snow. I've seen some friends post they are without power. This is a huge tree that just came down on Park Street in the Village.

One helluva lucky homeowner right there. That tree would've totaled that house.

Treesdown.jpg

Archived