Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
December 8-11th Major East Coast Storm Observation Thread

gkrangers

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Way too much water.  I drove past a bunch of different reservoirs on the Croton system today and the biggest ones have the floodgates wide open and the water was shooting 75 feet high out of the bottom of the dam at the two biggest ones I went by.  The overflows are raging and the Croton river system is totally overwhelmed in spots.  Great show!  

Through 4 pm, 2.54" precipitation had fallen in Central Park. That breaks the daily rainfall figure of 2.19", which was set in 1973. It is also the 3rd highest daily precipitation figure for December. Only December 13, 1909 with 3.03" and December 13, 1941 with 2.97" saw more precipitation. Interestingly enough, both 1909 and 1941 saw pattern changes to colder evolve in the medium-term following the excessive precipitation event.

Today was the second day this year on which 2.50" or more precipitation fell. The historic average is 1.1 such events per year. The 1970-2014 average is 1.7 such events per year.

Total precipitation for 2014 is 52.29". That ranks 28th on the all-time annual list. Records go back to 1869.

Spoke to a guy recently who lived on W Bay Drive during Sandy. He said the force of the water and wave action

busted in his picture window with a really loud crash. When came downstairs after the storm was over the

whole first floor was covered with dead fish.

I'm on Fulton Street two blocks away and I can definitely speak to the force of the water when the surge arrived. What cars were around were picked up and floated away like bath toys. 

I'm on Fulton Street two blocks away and I can definitely speak to the force of the water when the surge arrived. What cars were around were picked up and floated away like bath toys. 

The few video clips from the Reynolds Channel side like this one near the hospital show just how scary things

got for the people that stayed. 

Kind of confused - why is Upton saying there will be up to 4 inches of snow  in their AFD for  NYC and their forecast has no mention of it ? Or did they post this in the wrong link ?

http://kamala.cod.edu/nj/latest.fxus61.KOKX.html

Lets be happy to just break the ice and get the 1", sometime during the next 24 -36 hours.

NYZ072-100915-

NEW YORK (MANHATTAN)-

759 PM EST TUE DEC 9 2014

.TONIGHT...CLOUDY. RAIN LIKELY...MAINLY AFTER MIDNIGHT. BREEZY. NEAR

STEADY TEMPERATURE IN THE UPPER 30S. NORTH WINDS AROUND 20 MPH WITH

GUSTS UP TO 30 MPH. CHANCE OF RAIN 70 PERCENT.

.WEDNESDAY...RAIN. BREEZY. NEAR STEADY TEMPERATURE IN THE UPPER 30S.

NORTHWEST WINDS 15 TO 20 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 35 MPH. CHANCE OF RAIN

80 PERCENT.

.WEDNESDAY NIGHT...CLOUDY. A CHANCE OF RAIN AND SNOW SHOWERS IN THE

EVENING...THEN A CHANCE OF SNOW SHOWERS AFTER MIDNIGHT. BREEZY WITH

LOWS IN THE LOWER 30S. WEST WINDS 15 TO 20 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO

30 MPH. CHANCE OF PRECIPITATION 40 PERCENT.

.THURSDAY...CLOUDY. A CHANCE OF SNOW SHOWERS IN THE MORNING...THEN A

CHANCE OF RAIN SHOWERS IN THE AFTERNOON. HIGHS IN THE LOWER 40S.

WEST WINDS 10 TO 15 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 25 MPH. CHANCE OF

PRECIPITATION 40 PERCENT.

.THURSDAY NIGHT...CLOUDY WITH A 20 PERCENT CHANCE OF SNOW SHOWERS.

LOWS IN THE LOWER 30S. WEST WINDS AROUND 10 MPH.

Archived