joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 8-11th Major East Coast Storm Observation Thread

gkrangers

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That really heavy rain has had a hard time making it west of the Hudson River, looks to finally be making progress now, almost to the GSP.

Dry slot trying to work NNE as well-nice squeeze play right around the city as the band try to move west.  If this doesnt stall, heaviest will be over by 2pm in many locales.

Dry slot trying to work NNE as well-nice squeeze play right around the city as the band try to move west.  If this doesnt stall, heaviest will be over by 2pm in many locales.

The NAM has most of the heavy stuff done by 1pm with less than a half inch thereafter, but the city on up into Westchester is definitely getting pummeled at the moment

East is least west is best old maritime saying in the fishing fleet it also applies with marginal sst's .Strong system no banana high the coast never stood a chance i know a simple observation but it is what it is. Minor flooding in whitestone near the bay leaves choking up the sewers.see ya

The dry air is really eroding the western side of the precip shield, but that looks to be staying more towards NE PA and far NW NJ. Our area should be under the gun for awhile. The latest HRRR keeps precip over the area for at least the next 6 hours and after that it's really out of its reliable range.

Moderate flooding in parts of Long Beach-the first couple of streets in from the bay are underwater as are some areas near the beaches. I was just on the boardwalk to look at the waves and the conditions are NASTY-probably some 50 mph gusts. I had to turn my car around near the bay-water was too deep. Luckily for my house the water doesn't seem to be advancing too much more. 

strange...only like an inch of rain has fallen.  Coastal related..?

1020 AM     FLOOD            EAST NEWARK             40.75N  74.16W

For what it's worth, I live in Glen Ridge and my backyard floods every time we get over 2" of rain in a day or even 1/4 inch per hour rainfall.  My home is situated at the bottom of a very long hill that unfortunately ends at my property.  When I left my home for work this morning at 6:20 EST, it was already flooding.  I'm guessing the 1.5 inches we got 48 hours ago, combined with the inch we received by 10:00 this morning that fell on frozen ground, is not allowing the soil to absorb much moisture.  I personally never saw it so bad in my backyard after what was reported to be .41 inches by the time I left.

Thats not Avenel. TWC was posting that for JM

That's a couple of streets from my house. That area can flood sometimes but it's been worse since Sandy. That's the direction the water came from when Sandy's surge hit-it was actually worse coming from the bay where I am than the ocean. The water today doesn't seem to be high enough to get into anyone's homes but it's close.

Archived