joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 8-11th Major East Coast Storm Observation Thread

gkrangers

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a couple of streets from my house. That area can flood sometimes but it's been worse since Sandy. That's the direction the water came from when Sandy's surge hit-it was actually worse coming from the bay where I am than the ocean. The water today doesn't seem to be high enough to get into anyone's homes but it's close.

The weakness with the LB storm drain system into Reynolds Channel is that the water first starts backing up 

into the streets even though the bulkheads rise higher. Too bad when they were originally filling the

barrier island they didn't make the whole strip as high as areas of PT Lookout and Atlantic Beach

that stayed above water in Sandy.

The weakness with the LB storm drain system into Reynolds Channel is that the water first starts backing up 

into the streets even though the bulkheads rise higher. Too bad when they were originally filling the

barrier island they didn't make the whole strip as high as areas of PT Lookout and Atlantic Beach

that stayed above water in Sandy.

And I bet it's even worse this morning out near the Hospital and Canals-that area floods even more frequently. The ocean actually didn't look that terrible-the water went a fair amount up the beach but not enough to where I'd be worried about the ocean pushing onto the streets. 

Power just flashed a couple of times here.

And I bet it's even worse this morning out near the Hospital and Canals-that area floods even more frequently. The ocean actually didn't look that terrible-the water went a fair amount up the beach but not enough to where I'd be worried about the ocean pushing onto the streets. 

Power just flashed a couple of times here.

I never understood how they could build the hospital in one of the lowest points in town with a basement

where many of the functions were carried out. You would have thought they would have filled the

area and built up a hill. A bunch of people saved their cars in Sandy by parking on the hill where the

buses are in Lido.

I never understood how they could build the hospital in one of the lowest points in town with a basement

where many of the functions were carried out. You would have thought they would have filled the

area and built up a hill. A bunch of people saved their cars in Sandy by parking on the hill where the

busses are in Lido.

It seems like most things built pre 1950 were built right on to the beach/marsh with very little fill. Post 1950 like lido they came in with tremendous amounts of fill and built up the land before building.

It's especially noticeable in south Merrick, Bellmore an Wantagh. Where large tracks of marsh were filled in around 1960 and huge developments of high ranches built at an average elevation of 6'. These houses did well during Sandy as water only made it on to lawns and streets despite being right on the bay. Areas further inland that were developed earlier and not built on fill flooded worst. It's super apparent today as the fill developments have no flooding at all and the older areas further north and inland do.

I just drove up to New Hyde Park and roads were in good shape. Rates are just under the threshold

buses are in Lido.

we do dumb things

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/11/17/us-storm-sandy-newjersey-railway-idUSBRE8AG0K220121117

Northern state Parkway closed due to flooding. Southern State is flooding in some areas. Meadowbrook Parkway is starting to flood (lake on southbound side is rising )

Yeah at 106/107 west of there it's fine. I thought the meadow brook was fine. The literal meadow brook did seen high but I highly doubt it goes out of it's banks. The rain event this summer was much more extreme do to the incredible rates. This is more of a run of the mill heavy rain event

Yeah at 106/107 west of there it's fine. I thought the meadow brook was fine. The literal meadow brook did seen high but I highly doubt it goes out of it's banks. The rain event this summer was much more extreme do to the incredible rates. This is more of a run of the mill heavy rain event

I've seen it overflow before. Scary when it does. The Meadowbrook had patches of flooding in the right lane. The highest water I saw in Freeport was bumper height.

Archived