Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
December 8-11th Major East Coast Storm Observation Thread

gkrangers

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They clearly say it's across western areas. The bottom line says closer to the coast it will take longer to change but even they could see a dusting.

Heaviest amounts should be out over northern Long Island...where they invariably are.

They clearly say it's across western areas. The bottom line says closer to the coast it will take longer to change but even they could see a dusting.

The thing I love most about many local mets is their total inability to think outside the box; they are rigidly devoted to one dimensional outlooks with misunderstood climatology at the forefront of their shortcomings. 

In fairness, I have not watched a tv news weather broadcast in over a decade, so I may be out of step when it comes to the current crop of on air weather people.

The thing I love most about many local mets is their total inability to think outside the box; they are rigidly devoted to one dimensional outlooks with misunderstood climatology at the forefront of their shortcomings. 

In fairness, I have not watched a tv news weather broadcast in over a decade, so I may be out of step when it comes to the current crop of on air weather people.

I'll cite an example:  When an offshore cyclone with plenty of cold air is forecast to move east of the region and the form of precipitation is not in question, the standard forecast will invariably be "heaviest amounts over the Twin Forks of Long Island & SE CT"...this tends to verify about as often as the Jets win the football championship...and yet, the notion...along with the low probability of verifying forecast...will be trotted out the next time a similar scenario presents itself.  I'm not going to go into the reasons why this specific forecast seldom comes to pass (though things like the stabilizing impact of all the surrounding water are factors)...but the point is, no attempt to learn from past errors seems to manifest and the mistake is repeated time w/o number due to either intellectual laziness or just some innate fear of steering away from long held & "safe" forecasting axioms that have long proven themselves utterly w/o merit. 

Do you know how to read a model? Euro shows light snow for a long duration. Did I say accumulating snow? SV snow map does show some accumulation. Euro has this Wednesday night into Thursday .

I just want to take a moment to say that in my entire life I have never encountered anyone whose banality is so extraordinary that they have elevated it to an art form in the fashion you have. 

Precip starting to form. HRRR shows this continuing to develop over the hudson valley/SW CT/Northern LI. Will have to see if it is cold enough for snow though.

Currently 36F

The latest HRRR looks a bit too far East, I'm under that developing band in Bergen County. It's just sprinkles currently, 39F. Not going to snow with these surface temps. Perhaps things cool tonight if precip is still around.

Archived