joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 8-11th Major East Coast Storm Observation Thread

gkrangers

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Though the temperature is at its low for the day here...34.4 F...only light rain is falling here...as being off to the NE is a distinct disadvantage in this setup (as far as cooling goes...with colder air being drawn in practically from the WSW)....and so much open LI Sound water...with sea surface temperatures in the 7 C to 8 C range, I would think...is not helping matters.   

Though the temperature is at its low for the day here...34.4 F...only light rain is falling here...as being off to the NE is a distinct disadvantage in this setup (as far as cooling goes...with colder air being drawn in practically from the WSW)....and so much open LI Sound water...with sea surface temperatures in the 7 C to 8 C range, I would think...is not helping matters.   

I've been disappointed that the heaviest bands on the radar seem to have been training just a couple of miles to my east, but now I think that is bright banding / melting so I shouldn't be so disappointed.  Its been all snow here for a while and the falling snow has taken on a decidedly more powdery look to it.   A little is starting to slush up on the car top and the windshield, but nothing visible on the grass yet.

All snow where I am in port jeff, 34f

Yeah it went back to mostly snow right after my last post. Wet snow.  The threshold temperatue for accumulations out here seems to be about 33.5 F.

Heading east on 25a now, some parked cars actually have a coating. But the ground is so wet I think you're right, we'll need to be close to freezing.

Its about 33.7 F here...and it has just started to stick in most spots. 

The surface low is well to the east, but the uppers are stacked almost overhead (over western CT).  This lines up well with the swirl on radar:

http://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?rid=OKX&product=N0R&overlay=01100011&loop=yes

If it pinwheels long enough there could be some nice surprises...

...though the 21z RAP spoils the fun rather quickly.

Archived