Newest Member
    joxey
December 8-11th Major East Coast Storm Observation Thread

gkrangers

For the uninitiated:

Visibility greater than 1/2 mile: Light snow

Visibility between 1/4 mile & 1/2 mile: Moderate snow

Visibility under 1/4 mile: Heavy snow

Now sometimes the rate at which the snow accumulates can be a gauge of snowfall intensity...the general rules of thumb in this area are as follows:

Light snow: Snow accumulates at less than 1 inch per hour

Moderate snow: Snow accumulates at about 1 inch per hour

Heavy snow: Snow accumulates at greater than 1 inch per hour

Very heavy snow: Usually when snow accumulates at greater than 2 inches per hour

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So far the highest snow totals with this storm seem to be from LI.  That's a little ironic.

I didn't see an OKX PNS from Upton...but with 1.0 inches being recorded Monday afternoon at the Mt Sinai co-op...your statement may have verified...but I'm not sure. 

For the uninitiated:

Visibility greater than 1/2 mile: Light snow

Visibility between 1/4 mile & 1/2 mile: Moderate snow

Visibility under 1/4 mile: Heavy snow

I feel like the above can't be repeated enough. If you typically make observations from the same location- find some landmarks that are 1/4 mile and then 1/2 mile away from you. I use specific telephone poles when I am at my house. 

With that said- I am currently at work at 7 world trade and I can still make out some buildings on the other side of the Hudson- so its light snow.

Have gone through mt Sinai twice monday, I think it's generous to say that 1" must have been extremely localized.

I absolutely agree.  I'm not far away from the station and if I had half that amount it was a lot.  I think the observer just rounds things off on his reports...though he usually rounds them off in the other direction. 

I absolutely agree.  I'm not far away from the station and if I had half that amount it was a lot.  I think the observer just rounds things off on his reports...though he usually rounds them off in the other direction. 

I had 0.1"  We fell a few flakes short of a robust 0.2".

If you are tracking, season total is a whopping 0.1"

Perhaps this is just some quirk of the radar, but:

Overzealous observer: "I'm getting heavy snow now!"

<an hour later>

"I'm getting incredibly heavy snow now!"

<an hour after that>

"I'm getting the heaviest snow ever!!!  Total blizzard!!!"

Dispassionate inquiry at the end of the 3 hours:  "How much did you get total?"

Overzealous:  "Almost 1/4 of an inch!!!!"

I had 0.1"  We fell a few flakes short of a robust 0.2".

If you are tracking, season total is a whopping 0.1"

I was at work and was unable to get a precise measurement...but there was an accident and a detour on my way home and I was re-routed all the way out to a town called "Middle Island"  (surprisingly hilly!) and there did seem to be a pretty fair covering in the rural areas. 

Now sometimes the rate at which the snow accumulates can be a gauge of snowfall intensity...the general rules of thumb in this area are as follows:

Light snow: Snow accumulates at less than 1 inch per hour

Moderate snow: Snow accumulates at about 1 inch per hour

Heavy snow: Snow accumulates at greater than 1 inch per hour

Very heavy snow: Usually when snow accumulates at greater than 2 inches per hour

You forgot Lake effect snow: accumulates at 3-6" per hour  :snowing:  Seriously though, thanks for your contributions to this forum lately. You certainly add a great deal of insight to the discussion and analysis.

Some light snow here in Poughkeepsie with a coating on the ground, 31 degrees

You forgot Lake effect snow: accumulates at 3-6" per hour  :snowing:  Seriously though, thanks for your contributions to this forum lately. You certainly add a great deal of insight to the discussion and analysis.

Some light snow here in Poughkeepsie with a coating on the ground, 31 degrees

Thank you & thanks to Ray J as well.

Mixed rain & snow continues to fall in the Mt Sinai area of north central Suffolk at the moment...once again symptomatic of the almost dual problematic nature of getting good snows out here...especially prior to about mid January...the fact that the low has lingered rather than quickly pulled away has allowed the moisture to remain, but concurrently *not* allowed cold air to be drawn in on the backside...had the low moved away rapidly, colder air would have been brought down much faster...but the moisture would have been quickly shunted off to the east...as they say, damned if you do; damned if you don't. 

Archived