Newest Member
    joxey
December 2014 Banter Thread

H2O

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lol.... 06-07 was anything but a 40N winter

It was a decent winter for the I-70 and I-68 corridor. It was my first winter in WV, and the 26" that I measured added up to average for this area, but felt like a snowy season to me. If 2-13/14 had done better than 3" of snow followed by 3" of sleet, it would have been an above-average year here.

From 1/20 to 2/20, I recorded only three 40+ high temps, 12 single digit lows, and besides the VD Storm, Berkeley county also met WSW criteria on 2/7, 2/26, 3/7-8, and 3/16-17. I would be happy with a two-month stretch like that again this winter.

It was a decent winter for the I-70 and I-68 corridor. It was my first winter in WV, and the 26" that I measured added up to average for this area, but felt like a snowy season to me. If 2-13/14 had done better than 3" of snow followed by 3" of sleet, it would have been an above-average year here.

From 1/20 to 2/20, I recorded only three 40+ high temps, 12 single digit lows, and besides the VD Storm, Berkeley county also met WSW criteria on 2/7, 2/26, 3/7-8, and 3/16-17. I would be happy with a two-month stretch like that again this winter.

It was certainly one of the more interesting and unique winters we've had in the past 10 years... the first half of it was absolutely horrendous, worse than 01-02, and for a while, StormchaserChuck's forecast for the warmest winter ever didn't seem unreasonable.

But then the pattern flipped, almost like 1989-90 in reverse. I loved the second half, and other than last winter I think it was the best cold stretch we've had in the past 10 years. Especially into February, I just couldn't believe the kind of cold we were getting and how persistently it held on. It was BWI's coldest February since 1979, colder than Feb '03.

From the VD storm, my area got 5" of cement from that VD storm.... on one hand I was really bummed that it didn't turn out to be a MECS, but once it happened, it ended up being something I had never seen before and just as crippling as a KU storm. It was also the winter that I learned how to ski, and several times we arrived to snow falling at the resort. Great times.

It seems to want to be a sleety pattern and sleety month. I think the storm next week could be a pile of.sleet.

Sleethead Leesburg is happy as sleet right now

Feels good to be a sleet town again

It seems to want to be a sleety pattern and sleety month. I think the storm next week could be a pile of.sleet.

Sleethead Leesburg is happy as sleet right now

I'm going to the mall and asking Santa for sleet for Christmas....if I have to sit on his lap to get it....eh...so be it

If you extrapolate the 6z nam it looks to be a coastal hugger...do we dare. Well someone had to do it. Euro keeps throwing backend light snow to parts of MD .

yes it would.  Just checked but I still think rain even if it hugged at least for me.  perfectly positioned lows with no cold air would be a real kick in the chestnuts if that becomes the theme for winter.  

During her weather segment this morning, Ava said she was watching the Monday/Tuesday time period. That the system we get this weekend may stall and a low could form from it, then combine with the system out west.

GFS is still totally different than the Euro.  Euro has a strong 500mb closed low pass right over head basically, but it only gives us flurries/sprinkles. 

Archived