wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
December 2014 Banter Thread

H2O

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tom arrives at a hotel in a Scottish village on a cold, grey, drizzly day. The weather remains the same for two weeks. Exasperated, Tom stops a little boy in the street. ‘Does the weather here ever change?’ he asks. ‘I don’t know,’ replies the boy. ‘I’m only six.’

NW England and most of Scotland are cold and snowy right now. Must be that Scandinavian ridge. Really gorgeous there. I could prob live there.

You may just get the second part of that anyway. They had a great chance to win the World Series last season and totally choked. Now they are getting poached.

I think some are prematurely freaking out. If healthy, they might have the best infield in the AL next yr w Machado, Hardy, Schoop, Davis and Wieters. Still have Jones in CF and aside from Miller, the pitching staff is intact. And I agree hes a big loss, but they were already in first place when they got him. Him going to the yankees is better than him going to Boston or Toronto. Cruz leaving hurts, but I think most realized he was a one year rental. Markakis is slow and his bat is going downhill. Of the three losses, hes the easiest to replace. The parts in place are good. No reason they can't contend again.

I think some are prematurely freaking out. If healthy, they might have the best infield in the AL next yr w Machado, Hardy, Schoop, Davis and Wieters. Still have Jones in CF and aside from Miller, the pitching staff is intact. And I agree hes a big loss, but they were already in first place when they got him. Him going to the yankees is better than him going to Boston or Toronto. Cruz leaving hurts, but I think most realized he was a one year rental. Markakis is slow and his bat is going downhill. Of the three losses, hes the easiest to replace. The parts in place are good. No reason they can't contend again.

We still have a good team. How good will rely on pitching as always. A few moves will be made to solidify the bullpen. The question will be whether Gausman becomes a true number 1 or 2 and give us 14-18 wins. I think we know what we have in Chen and Tillman and the rest of the crew so will see who else can step up. Also don't forget that all of Duquette's big moves last year were made at the last minute.

Yep. There's been a much higher than average amount of weenieness on this forum from some people who should really know better (and yeah I blame this on last year). 40's and rain followed by clear skies and a freeze is.... a typical December around here.

the funny part is i used to think i was weird and on my own with this hobby until the internet came about.  i used to wonder what was wrong with me for thinking about the chance of a snowstorm while sitting on the bench in high school waiting for the coach to call my name lol.  i think the thread is fine, though.  it's good for educational purposes anyway.  but yea, we're not a big snow town and haven't been since record keeping started.  we are capable of big storms, but most of the time we are pretty lame and end up with scraps.  i really try not to track storms too far out now.  i find it to generally be a waste of my time because that's not what i get paid to do and i don't want to eat up time i can spend on hobbies that i have some control over.

my expectation is a normal winter.  i don't think we'll bust simply because the trend has been chilly for a long while now.  unless something dramatic changes, i think we'll score a couple decent snowstorms.

Who said there was going to be a torch here for December?

Hmmm, speaking of getting torched! Rams blanked the Skins.... And Jeff Fisher pulled a priceless move on coin toss.. Fisher's Rams were trade partners with Washington when they moved up to grab Robert Griffin III. They got a pile of picks in exchange, including six active starters for Sunday's game. And Fisher sent them all out for the coin toss.

http://mweb.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24873195/jeff-fisher-sent-out-rams-players-acquired-in-rg3-trade-for-coin-toss?v=1&vc=1

I'm not even going to be greedy this year. I would be happy with 50% of what I got last year. I just don't want it to be warm/wet. We have to deal with that enough during the other 9 months of the year. I don't want it in winter. 

agreed. I want my kid to have another white winter

Thank God they didn't predict a cold start to December.  We'd all be popsicles.

I'm always for calling people out who use bad meteorology but honestly I'm having trouble remembering who said it would be a torch here. Seems most conversation centered around the true torch being not super close and us on the edge of warm anomalies, a spot which can easily see cooler intrusions. Not to mention we already had plenty of precedent recently for "warmer" patterns to have cold spells in them.  Pattern is still  bad for snow for a great majority of the month.

Let's keep tearing apart the torch straw man

Just depends on how you define "torch" I suppose. Several level-headed posters noted that we were going to get into warmer regime, and the temps are running +2 at the airports right now, so that has verified. But I suppose it isn't a "torch" since we haven't really had a succession of days with highs in the 60s, say.

I know that one interloper from NJ was screaming torch, but that may have been tied to his global warming agenda dealie.

Let's keep tearing apart the torch straw man

All I ever said was the pattern sucks for organized snow chances and it will be a seesaw with temps. We're benefiting from cooler highs through shallow hp and clouds. It's still ugly. The plains are going to put up some decent +departures and I also think we'll score some warm days going forward as well. But that's typical. The bottom line is the first 2-3 weeks of Dec look bad for snow. Temps are secondary.

Archived