amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
December Banter

mackerel_sky

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like how it went from wall to wall Dec-Mar epic winter to "oh it's cool if we lose December, we don't get much snow in December anyway."

I wonder if come January and it still hasn't snowed south of DC everyone's like "most of our big snows in recent memory have come in Feb-Mar anyway."

Then Feb passes and everyone's like "remember Mar last year?"

Then it's April and we see a -NAO with massive nor'easter rainstorms and we're all like ":("

lolz

All going according to plan! muahahaha

Now I know it's going to snow --

No not snow, blizzard, in Gainesville, Fl.

Just heard some audacious terrible noise on the front porch.

Went outside. Biggest 'possum I've ever, ever seen. He's looking at me. Had that "let me in" gander and grin.

We stared at each other for a minute. He then slowly ambled into my woodpile. He came out a second or three later though, walked right back up on the porch and gave me that 'possum look of "let me in".

Best analogue I've seen this winter.

:bag:

(yes - unfortunately - firearm response - I'd need a lawyer - city limits)

Lmao, you shot him. I would have too though, can't blame you. If the cops show up just say he came at you like a rabid maniac opossum and you had no choice but to shoot. Considering what has been in the news recently I'm sure they can relate and will believe you.

Isn't there some saying like big opossums in December means Gainesville gets snow in January?

Lmao, you shot him. I would have too though, can't blame you. If the cops show up just say he came at you like a rabid maniac opossum and you had no choice but to shoot. Considering what has been in the news recently I'm sure they can relate and will believe you.

Isn't there some saying like big opossums in December means Gainesville gets snow in January?

:lmao: :lmao: Wow.

so yesterday saw a lot about 50-50 low. have heard that a lot but never really knew what it meant.  not a whole lot of hits on google, but best I can tell 50/50 is just its lat/long coordinates, roughly a big low around Newfoundland.  So I'm reading this storm thread for the 21st and dd is mentioning cad, which I understand, or at least thought I did.  So is a good setup to have the 50/50 low  handing off the cold air to a big high southwest of it in NE and thus funneling cold air all the way down to hopefully meet up with a low cutting from the gulf across N. Florida and then up the coast in the Atlantic.    Just wondering if all the buzz yesterday was the 50 50 low, the CAD, or both. 

Went outside. Biggest 'possum I've ever, ever seen. He's looking at me. Had that "let me in" gander and grin.

We stared at each other for a minute. He then slowly ambled into my woodpile. He came out a second or three later though, walked right back up on the porch and gave me that 'possum look of  "let me in".

Best analogue I've seen this winter.

:bag:

(yes - unfortunately - firearm response - I'd need a lawyer - city limits)

My dog chased a possum up a tree last week. I thought nothing of it....but now it seems to be yet another sign that this will be snowy winter as this is the first winter that has happened at the house. Granted this is only our second winter at the house but we all know the old tale, "When a Possum comes up to thee...a major winter storm there will be in three". 

so yesterday saw a lot about 50-50 low. have heard that a lot but never really knew what it meant.  not a whole lot of hits on google, but best I can tell 50/50 is just its lat/long coordinates, roughly a big low around Newfoundland.  So I'm reading this storm thread for the 21st and dd is mentioning cad, which I understand, or at least thought I did.  So is a good setup to have the 50/50 low  handing off the cold air to a big high southwest of it in NE and thus funneling cold air all the way down to hopefully meet up with a low cutting from the gulf across N. Florida and then up the coast in the Atlantic.    Just wondering if all the buzz yesterday was the 50 50 low, the CAD, or both. 

From the Capital Weather Gang blog they do a good job of explaining it. When combined with a split flow pattern usually fireworks appear in the south. 

The Newfoundland, or 50-50, low, so named because it often occurs at 50N latitude and 50W longitude, is an upper level low pressure system with closed circulation that spins off the coast of Newfoundland. Coupled with the Greenland block as described above, the 50-50 low keeps cold high pressure from sliding out to sea and helps force storms to cut below our area and up the coast, often resulting in whiter rather than wetter conditions for our area. But what if we don't have any cold air in place to lock in? This is where the polar vortex, essentially our cold air supplier, plays a major role.

This was tweeted out by the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Library. The photo is from a collection in the carolina room downtown. It depicts the square in Charlotte(intersection of trade and tryon) in 1890 during an ice storm.

attachicon.giftumblr_inline_nfx8ysiXBX1r0e5lz (2).jpg

Those are some serious powerlines. Imagine if just one snapped. 

My dog chased a possum up a tree last week. I thought nothing of it....but now it seems to be yet another sign that this will be snowy winter as this is the first winter that has happened at the house. Granted this is only our second winter at the house but we all know the old tale, "When a Possum comes up to thee...a major winter storm there will be in three". 

.....you've spent too much time in cleveland county.

http://metro.co.uk/2014/12/12/forget-the-weather-bomb-here-comes-thundersnow-4984434/

Forget the weather bomb – here comes Thundersnow!

Britain is still reeling from the ‘weather bomb’ this week – now people are going to have to get to grips with another outlandish weather term, after ‘Thundersnow’ battered Scotland yesterday.

What next? Stomdrizzle? Hail bullets?

Yesterday, Thundersnow – a rare phenomenon where thunder and lightning appear during a snowstorm – was spotted near Glasgow.

It came as a new wave of bad weather left large parts of the North of England were battered by snow.

Lightning storms in the Highlands left up to 27,000 homes without power.

As long as things are on track for the pattern change the week of Christmas, then it's all good. I saw Bob Chill say anything we get before then would just be a bonus, and I agree. It still looks like the real fun comes around Christmas and beyond. As long as that holds, we should be happy.

I'm saving this post. Watch when Christmas comes,then we are going to be waiting for the New years, and so on. The timeframe keeps getting pushed back.

Archived