joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Banter

mackerel_sky

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With all seriousness, being a Sat night and all, is anyone really staying up for the Euro run tonight? I guess it may depend on the GFS ? If it looked good and snowy, we could ride that high to the Euro!?

Definitely some people staying up for the Euro tonight guaranteed. I won't, though. I'm getting old and can't do it anymore it ruins my whole day the next day...wake up late...don't get anything done...all my meals are off...I'm confused and get lost easily in public places, etc.

Definitely some people staying up for the Euro tonight guaranteed. I won't, though. I'm getting old and can't do it anymore it ruins my whole day the next day...wake up late...don't get anything done...all my meals are off...I'm confused and get lost easily in public places, etc.

I'm still pushing for a law changing the Eastern time zone to the same as Mountain time as well as to ban Daylight Saving Time for the sake of the happiness and well-being of the typical SE wx weenie. Wouldn't you love to get the completed Euro by midnight? I'm already in my own time zone . So, I already get it by midnight. I can assure you that it is a fantastic feeling.

Do you live in GA? Because it has been cooler than forecast most of the last 10 days in upstate SC.

Easley. I'm using GSP as my reference point, and I just remember week before last was warm with most days being above forecast. Last week was much closer. But I know yesterday forecast was for 60 or 61 and it was 64. Today forecast was for 63 and it made it to 68. In my long-term observations, these winter warm-up often verify warmer than anticipated and linger a few more days than anticipated. Another benefit of being in the Lee. :)

We are still going back and forth between steps two and three.

2. Models that do not agree are outliers.

3. A model that shows a good hit can not, by definition, be an outlier.

This is true.  I'm going to mix the GFS and the Parallel GFS, throw in some magical cold that comes in by magical "dynamics", and we're going to be golden!  Winter Storm Almost is a go!

Those are lovely shots, Hvward! What were the settings?

Here are my shots from last few hours. Tonight was my first attempt at astrophotography using my mom's Canon and I didn't get much outside one faint meteor and a plane due to luck of my camera's placement. Nevertheless, I had a blast while seeing over 50 meteors :)

xcpjusJ.jpg

Sebj9kA.jpg

SxjyTAM.jpg

Those are lovely shots, Hvward! What were the settings?

Here are my shots from last few hours. Tonight was my first attempt at astrophotography using my mom's Canon and I didn't get much outside one faint meteor and a plane due to luck of my camera's placement. Nevertheless, I had a blast while seeing over 50 meteors :)

Thanks man, I just got a new Nikon D7100 but the key is to have a lens that can go to f 2.8 or lower.  I used my tokina 11-16mm and did long exposure shots with a handheld remote.  They were both around 25 sec exposures with the iso set to 3200 and the f stop at 2.8.  Yours look good too man, what lens did you use and what iso setting were you on?

Thanks man, I just got a new Nikon D7100 but the key is to have a lens that can go to f 2.8 or lower.  I used my tokina 11-16mm and did long exposure shots with a handheld remote.  They were both around 25 sec exposures with the iso set to 3200 and the f stop at 2.8.  Yours look good too man, what lens did you use and what iso setting were you on?

It's my mom's Canon EOS Rebel T3 with 18-55 mm lens. I had light from street lamp behind a house to my back so I was able to go as low as 400 (although those shots were at 800 and at 18-20 mm range) and managed f stop of 3.5 (I knew about 2.8< was good, but I couldn't get lower on Canon). The one with trees was at 10 seconds, while the one with meteor and plane were at 25 seconds. Considering what I had to use, I was impressed with my shots since it was my first attempt at night skies but I could always get better for even more epic WNC night skies.

It's my mom's Canon EOS Rebel T3 with 18-55 mm lens. I had light from street lamp behind a house to my back so I was able to go as low as 400 (although those shots were at 800 and at 18-20 mm range) and managed f stop of 3.5 (I knew about 2.8< was good, but I couldn't get lower on Canon). The one with trees was at 10 seconds, while the one with meteor and plane were at 25 seconds. Considering what I had to use, I was impressed with my shots since it was my first attempt at night skies but I could always get better for even more epic WNC night skies.

Yeah man those are great!  It is really a trial and error thing.  The street light I bet really effected a few shots.  That is why I had to get behind a rock up their because the city lights (and there wasn't much) keep flaring out my photos.

Archived