joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Banter

mackerel_sky

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now that it is about 5 days away, I took a look. Where is the cold air coming from?  Unless you're in a nice mountain location, it's going to rain.  JMO, which is why this in in the banter thread.

Good thing you put your logical post in banter.  Too many facts and doubts in the other threads could cause some pitchforks to be hoisted.

Now that it is about 5 days away, I took a look. Where is the cold air coming from?  Unless you're in a nice mountain location, it's going to rain.  JMO, which is why this in in the banter thread.

Cold air is coming from a High coming down out of Canada over the Lakes. With the weak low this is allowing enough cold air in. That being said there isn't much but with that low bombing that can help funnel more in. 

I think we are looking at a couple of weeks in out neck of the woods.  Looks very step downish...  Could be a quick step down deal though.

I'm looking forward to it. Will be nice if we do get snow either end of the month or early January with established cold air already. January 2011 was great since the ground was so cold and the snow stuck right away. Don't see that too often.

neither is nc or tn for that matter. But this is supposed to be an epic winter, and an epic winter means snow even in the deep south, right ? This isn't your ordinary winter is it ? In a normal winter, we may not get any snow. But not this winter.

Atlanta had about 5" of snow/sleet last winter and from what I've been hearing, this winter will be just as snowy. So I expect nothing less than 5".

Who are you going to blame when your 5" and nothing less ends up busting?

GFS parallel looks wild for Christmas at 5h has a huge trough over the southeast and snow showers from it in NC. Not likely to verify but man its a crazy look.

Has the GFS parallel been relegated to banter?  How in the world is this thing going to take the place of the current GFS when it seems to be off it's rocker comparatively speaking?

Has the GFS parallel been relegated to banter? How in the world is this thing going to take the place of the current GFS when it seems to be off it's rocker comparatively speaking?

Lol its just such a crazy look it deserves to be in banter. I see the problem really being how much energy it wants to throw in the Conus... Could be the Nino pattern wrecking havoc on its resolution.

The only one listed is the GFS Parallel.  So just click on "GFS" and that's the parallel version.  You can't get the regular/old GFS from that site.

So, how is it identified on the maps once you choose one?  In other words, how would I know that I'm looking at the Parallel GFS if you hadn't just informed me that it was the case?  I just assumed it was the old version under the "GFS" link on the NCEP page.

And, it appears they have already officially rolled out the new version if the main model page doesn't even offer the old version anymore.

So, how is it identified on the maps once you choose one?  In other words, how would I know that I'm looking at the Parallel GFS if you hadn't just informed me that it was the case?  I just assumed it was the old version under the "GFS" link on the NCEP page.

And, it appears they have already officially rolled out the new version if the main model page doesn't even offer the old version anymore.

They're two different sites.  You can get the Parallel GFS from this site:

http://mageval.ncep.noaa.gov/

The regular/standard GFS can be gotten here:

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/

As you said, there's nothing on the map itself to distinguish the two, however.

Here's the 18z Parallel GFS at hr 96, for example:

gfs_namer_096_850_temp_mslp_precip.gif

Compare it to the 18z "Regular" GFS at hr 96:

gfs_namer_096_850_temp_mslp_precip.gif

I always love it when the first storm sets the table for the next one, cause, ya know, that always works out. Gotta get the cutter out of the way to shake the pattern up. That Miller Screw nor'easter will pump up heights in the NAO region. We need that Apps runner to put down a good snow pack and force the next one south. You bet!

This is from Atlanta met Glenn Burns:

Warm or cold winter ?

I was speaking with a good friend of mine tonight about this winter. He owns an energy forecast company. He and several other meteorologists and physicists developed long-range weather models and are so far beyond anything the government puts out. They are extremely accurate. So here's the deal. He says Dec 27 through about Jan 3rd we will have colder than normal temps. Then he surprised me by saying mid 60s would return in the middle of January ! Karen Minton's ( another Atlanta met) FB followers raise bees and they say all signs from the bees point to a mild winter.

Archived