amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
December Banter

mackerel_sky

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, 27,000 homes without power from lightning in a snowstorm. That must have been some wicked lightning. Never heard of lightning in a snowstorm causing power outages.

What's normal depends on where you live.  Lightning is lightning.  If you get ground strikes they can cause outages.

Read from the beginning of the winter thread starting in December. Every time a good pattern has been showing up, its been for one run on an OP model 10+ days out or 384 hours on an ensemble model.

Pretty typical for a AMWX weather discussion in winter. Weenies should not be able to have access to any data from the models over the hr 240.

Read from the beginning of the winter thread starting in December. Every time a good pattern has been showing up, its been for one run on an OP model 10+ days out or 384 hours on an ensemble model.

Mets have constantly been saying the pattern won't really get good until around Christmas and that is still on track. 

I'm saving this post. Watch when Christmas comes,then we are going to be waiting for the New years, and so on. The timeframe keeps getting pushed back.

The trough is going to try and take root into the Eastern USA after some transient stuff right after Christmas into the beginning of Jan.

It's becoming comical with all this torch talk etc.  What's happening is it's worked in from other regions, twitter, and some on forums... for their back yards.. JAN-March = best shot at Winter weather in the SE.

There you go, being bullish again about winter.

I swear, the headquarters for the Legion of Gloom must be in Georgia with you and metalic.

Again,  one can be bullish about an entire season and still recognize we aren't there yet.  I still maintain that Jan & Feb will be rocking.  We may even end up with that fab Feb JB was calling for. Just a few years late.

There you go, being bullish again about winter.

I swear, the headquarters for the Legion of Gloom must be in Georgia with you and metalic.

No,we are just being realistic. Come on. Why is it that whenever heat shows up on the model 6-16 days out,the models aren't having a good handle on it? Then when the models are showing cold,everyone jumps on it. You got excited yesterday from one run of the Euro and threads were created,now it looks like a severe weather threat.

Again,  one can be bullish about an entire season and still recognize we aren't there yet.  I still maintain that Jan & Feb will be rocking.  We may even end up with that fab Feb JB was calling for. Just a few years late.

I find it funny that many were all in yesterday when the Euro showed the fantasy snow into NC/NE GA.. now it took it away at 0z and the other models are meh for it.. and now it's "pattern isn't going to change" etc.

The Euro's Winter weather solution was the perfect scenario that most should have known wasn't going to happen as modeled.  It could even come back, we'll see.

No,we are just being realistic. Come on. Why is it that whenever heat shows up on the model 6-16 days out,the models aren't having a good handle on it? Then when the models are showing cold,everyone jumps on it. You got excited yesterday from one run of the Euro and threads were created,now it looks like a severe weather threat.

Was that run for the week of Christmas or before? Yes, that was exciting to see. But the mets have consistently said even from the beginning of this month that the real change won't happen until around Christmas. 

Is it just me or has this December been sunnier than normal ? Day after Day of sunshine. I seem to recall Decembers being on the cloudy side normally.

Also, is it typical for December to be dry in an El Nino year ? Atlanta has 0.35" of rain this month, over 1" below normal.

Not here. It's been predominately cloudy until the last couple of days. Cloudy and chilly.

Actually, just saying something about others talking about the models changing from what it showed yesterday. Guess what? It changed again. They always change a lot this far out. But the big picture still looks great for the pattern from around Christmas to the new year. There's no reason to be so pessimistic. 

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/45020-december-banter/?p=3186550

Archived