Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
December Banter

mackerel_sky

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it's been stated like 1000 times that we are not wasting anything in December ! Greater than 90% of snow and ice events have happened in JFM, in my area!

QFT.

December is not typically a wintry month around here. Chilly, yes.  Overcast even without rain, often.  Frost on the windshield in the morning sometimes, yes.  Winter storm warnings, quite rare. 

Winter cancel because it's not gonna drop 4" of white stuff before Christmas?  Here have a binky.  :baby:

JF, early March and to a lesser degree late March, are where it's at.  IDK what the pattern's doing in December, as long as it changes by January so I get some snowflakes in the birthday month.  :snowing:

I was looking at Atlanta's average snowfall by month and they are as follows : 

December : 0.2"

January :       1"

February:    0.5"

March:         0.5"

So December, February, March are all pretty much the same. Heck, even January only averages 0.8" more than December. But I guess when you're talking about a city that averages 2.2" per winter, that can be a big difference. It should be noted that this source ( The Southeast Regional Climate Center) says that starting in 1988 hail is also included under snowfall, so that could be one reason why March is showing more snow than December.

Anyway, I would at least like to get to our average 0.2" for December. I would hate to end December below normal for snowfall  :snowing:

Interestingly, I noticed that Cape Hatteras and Wilmington average as much snow in December as any other month and in Cape Hatteras' case they average more snow in December than any other month. 

I know everyone has said that there is more snow in March than December, but I wonder if the same is the case for ice storms ? 

Almost certainly not.  Ice storms are pretty rare in March, though they're not too common in December, either.  That being said, March was a good month for ice storms IMBY last year.  The biggest ice storm in over a decade occurred in March and we got another moderate ice event in mid-March.  You just never know!  I believe Larry has mentioned an ice storm that affected Atlanta in late March in the 1980s, too.

Interestingly, I noticed that Cape Hatteras and Wilmington average as much snow in December as any other month and in Cape Hatteras' case they average more snow in December than any other month. 

When averages for a month are low, they get skewed by big storms.  In Cape Hatteras' and Wilmington's case, it is probably due to December 1989.

accum.19891224.gif

Almost certainly not.  Ice storms are pretty rare in March, though they're not too common in December, either.  That being said, March was a good month for ice storms IMBY last year.  The biggest ice storm in over a decade occurred in March and we got another moderate ice event in mid-March.  You just never know!  I believe Larry has mentioned an ice storm that affected Atlanta in late March in the 1980s, too.

I know there was a huge snowstorm in late March in the 80's in ATL but not sure about an ice storm. Ice storms are almost unheard of in March this far south.

Speaking of ice storms, that reminds me of last February when there were predictions of a catastrophic ice storm in Atlanta and North Georgia. At least where I live, it turned out to be almost a non-event. More sleet than freezing rain and a touch of snow at the end. I really think that storm was way over hyped, possibly because of the snow we had in January. 

Good memory though one decade off: 3/25/1971 which also caused heavy snow from NE GA into the W Carolinas.

I know everyone has said that there is more snow in March than December, but I wonder if the same is the case for ice storms ? 

James is correct. Dec. has had more major ZR's. For ATL, I count 6 in Dec. vs. 4 in March. 2 of the 4 were a week apart in March, 1960!

Speaking of ice storms, that reminds me of last February when there were predictions of a catastrophic ice storm in Atlanta and North Georgia. At least where I live, it turned out to be almost a non-event. More sleet than freezing rain and a touch of snow at the end. I really think that storm was way over hyped, possibly because of the snow we had in January. 

For N GA, I blame the overhyped SN more on the dreaded silly Euro clowns being discussed on FB (and Twitter) . Clowns and FB do not mix too well. Don't forget that Euro clowns count all precip. with a temp of 32 or colder as accumulating SN! So, their clowns are clowns in more way than one lol.

Dunwoody and nearby ended up with their greatest sleetstorm since 1/1988. Also, the south and east ATL burbs east to Augusta/Columbia were all hit very hard with ZR. It even caused the Eisenhower Tree at Augusta National to meet its demise! That was very sad as I had become quite attached to that tree. :(

For N GA, I blame the overhyped SN more on the dreaded silly Euro clowns being discussed on FB (and Twitter) . Clowns and FB do not mix too well. Don't forget that Euro clowns count all precip. with a temp of 32 or colder as accumulating SN! So, their clowns are clowns in more way than one lol.

Dunwoody and nearby ended up with their greatest sleetstorm since 1/1988. Also, the south and east ATL buirbs east to Augusta/Columbia were all hit very hard with ZR. It even caused the Eisenhower Tree at Augusta National to meet its demise!

Hard to believe Dunwoody had more sleet in February than in January 2005. I know in my area, January 2005 was the most sleet I've ever seen. Or at least the most that I remember.

Hard to believe Dunwoody had more sleet in February than in January 2005. I know in my area, January 2005 was the most sleet I've ever seen. Or at least the most that I remember.

1) Where were you during the great Tony storms of 1/1988 and 2/1979?

2) Dunwoody got maybe as much as about 0.5" of Tony during the January of 2005 major ZR. OTOH, they got a couple of inches of the Tony stuff in Feb. of 2014 in addition to ~1" of SN and ~~0.20" of ZR early.

1) Where were you during the great Tony storms of 1/1988 and 2/1979?

2) Dunwoody got maybe as much as about 0.5" of Tony during the January of 2005 major ZR. OTOH, they got a couple of inches of the Tony stuff in Feb. of 2014 in addition to ~1" of SN and ~~0.20" of ZR early.

I wasn't alive in 1979 and too young to remember 1988. Actually I do remember one storm in the 80s when I was like 4 and my front yard was like a skating rink. I just don't know what year it was. It's a shame that I was so young in the 80's. It sounds like that was a good decade for snow/ice in Georgia. Maybe this decade will end up topping the 80s.

It would be quite funny if we just had nothing for the entire winter.  Average to above, no Winter weather.  I wonder how many mets would just retire?

Remember, we are at Dec 11th.  Originally, 2nd week of December was going to be the start.  Now it's going to be around Christmas.  Heh

It's been chilly, but I don't see this ripe pattern yet.  Outside of models long hr forecasts that keep getting pushed.

Not being a downer on the Winter.  Might just be expecting it too soon at this point. 

Archived