• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
December Banter

mackerel_sky

Unofficial reports of 30" of snow at Emerald Isle and Cherry Point. Maybe due to the effect of the ocean ? Looking at this map there is no way those areas got 30" of snow.

That map is pretty wrong actually IMO, I live in Greenville and they show 16" for us but the truth is it was so drifted and wind blown that it would be impossible for them to have gotten a accurate reading. All I know is we had a yard stick and could only find a few spots in the yard where the snow was less than 26-30" and many places had 4-8ft drifts. The road in front of my house was 3-4 ft lower than the yard and after the storm it was all level and we had 3 ft of snow on the front porch and had to go out the side door to get out of the house.

I wont ever see a storm like that here again most likely, I suspect most of eastern NC had 20-30" east of I 95 and places up in the NE corner may have had 30+" it snows hard for 18-24 hrs with thunder and lightning etc.....and it was cold temps were in the teens during the storm in March no less.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am quickly becoming very skeptical about any upcoming pattern change over Xmas, we have been talking about this for over a week and all these great looks are still at 360+ hours.  Hopefully in the next 7-10 days we can get it inside 300 hours.  Granted, in 3 more days the 384 hour GEFS will have us to January.

This is 294 hours, the -EPO is starting to get going, so that's a start.

gfs-ens_z500a_nhem_50.png

I am quickly becoming very skeptical about any upcoming pattern change over Xmas, we have been talking about this for over a week and all these great looks are still at 360+ hours. Hopefully in the next 7-10 days we can get it inside 300 hours. Granted, in 3 more days the 384 hour GEFS will have us to January.

This is 294 hours, the -EPO is starting to get going, so that's a start.

gfs-ens_z500a_nhem_50.png

What are other people looking at that seem excited in the discussion thread, that you are not seeing? Like Larry and Bob Chill and such, they seem excited and even said things look to be changing a little sooner now!?

What are other people looking at that seem excited in the discussion thread, that you are not seeing? Like Larry and Bob Chill and such, they seem excited and even said things look to be changing a little sooner now!?

Fairly simple, let's see the good look maps approach day 10. I would defer to Bob/Larry, they know better than me, it's why I posted in the banter thread.

I'd assume it's about time to see some kind of SE Winter weather on an OP run today.

we've come close so I wouldn't be surprised. Like I mentioned when people were canceling December (probably wasn't the only one) around the 2nd we would start seeing fantasy storms around mid month. Only 4 days away or so but we are already seeing close calls and ice storms on some runs. It just takes time.

I think business is going to be picking up big time the week of Christmas, and next week is going to be the beginning of some excitement with following the models. 

It might take a little while for us all in the SE.. but the pattern does look to flip right when we need it to (for the core months in the SE)

The fantasy snow maps will be comical.  Also, wonder how long it will take someone to post them to facebook and make it seem like it's a certainty?  lol

Looking at some of the thicknesses, no it wouldn't all be snow I would assume for many.  But.. there are some bigger amounts shown on the clown that shouldn't be believed.

Really though, there is a serious signal that something is going to pop around the time-frame.   Looking like the clown wants to put around 7 inches in CLT.

Archived