• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Thanksgiving Weekend Weather (Wed-Sun)

ORH_wxman

Pandemonium over one model run? REALLY? I say you get what you get and enjoy it.

OT

I was just out disassembling my instruments from off the roof. Another causality of being forced to move. The sensors are literally fused to the pole. GONE... Climbing ladders, barely able to walk is not fun, paying big time.

I figure its November and have no expectations what-so-ever.    

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haha to be fair the Upstate NY threads do not see as much traffic (outside of the Lake Effect snow threads)... wish we did have a more active user base up here!

Too early to be giving us the congrats for the upcoming event! The ECMWF ensemble spread still had the majority in the weaker event camp (< 6") at 00z for ALB, so I'd very much like to see the ensemble distribution shift more in the operational run's direction before I start increasing confidence about this event. Still some pretty large differences between the GFS and ECMWF at this venture, although I'd certainly rather have the EC on my side for obvious reasons ;)

It looks like most of the GFS ensemble members have at least some QPF for ALB. Interestingly, the first EOF of the GFS ensemble is comprised of a midwest/coastal mid-atlantic dipole pattern, perhaps indicating a relationship between the clipper and coastal systems. Timing differences between ensemble members obviously also play a role in the modelled variance.

I'll be in Albany for this system so hopefully we get at least a few inches.

EOF_4fig_NCEP.gif

It looks like most of the GFS ensemble members have at least some QPF for ALB. Interestingly, the first EOF of the GFS ensemble is comprised of a midwest/coastal mid-atlantic dipole pattern, perhaps indicating a relationship between the clipper and coastal systems. Timing differences between ensemble members obviously also play a role in the modelled variance.

Looks like the 12z is updated, now the majority of the variance is explained by a high pressure monopole off of Cape Cod.

Yeah it looked more like 2-4/3-5 there before the flip. But I feel silly for obsessing over these verbatim outputs when it is still 84 hours out...it feels like this thing is 48 hours out instead, but there's still a ways to go.

I think there's more precipitation than indicated due to that massive VV thump, past experience tells me that's a good .35 more before the flip, but it's so early

I just realized the OP gets ALY to 0C at H7 but after most precip is through...but man that 700mb warmth gets inland, almost up to here too.

Ahh that's a good point. It should be noted there really isn't a very intense high in place before the cyclone rides up the coast, so we have to keep an eye on the upcoming trends, especially if there continues to be more phasing between the upstream clipper shortwave and this southern stream shortwave. There is certainly still room for this to come further west.

EOF_4fig_NCEP.gif

Very interesting... EOF 1 screams that the largest uncertainty related to this synoptic event is related to the phasing of the upstream clipper shortwave and downstream subtropical shortwave that will be providing the initial surface cyclogenesis. Basically the more separated the leading and trailing s/w rounding the base of the longwave trough are... the less phasing and less amplified solution (as seen in the parallel GFS). 

The warm air probably punches in first above 850mb...I'd probably use the -2C line.

The ECM gets ridiculously warm...looking at Wunderground maps, the 850 line is near High Point, NJ just southeast of the Catskills by 87 hours. Most of the Hudson Valley, NJ, and all of southern CT/RI/Mass is rain! Temperatures crash quickly but it gets really toasty as the 850mb is ashore. 

That euro solution is probably like 3-4 for you before a flip

Flip to what?  ip, rn, zr?  all of the above?

Haha to be fair the Upstate NY threads do not see as much traffic (outside of the Lake Effect snow threads)... wish we did have a more active user base up here!

Too early to be giving us the congrats for the upcoming event! The ECMWF ensemble spread still had the majority in the weaker event camp (< 6") at 00z for ALB, so I'd very much like to see the ensemble distribution shift more in the operational run's direction before I start increasing confidence about this event. Still some pretty large differences between the GFS and ECMWF at this venture, although I'd certainly rather have the EC on my side for obvious reasons ;)

It's great to have a met in the capital district to opine on things--and hopefully weenie out at times with those of us living where no one lives.

The 700mb warm push gets basically to Saratoga springs would be ironic if the bullseye is the southern dacks to NNE

Lake Placid ftw.

Archived