joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Thanksgiving Weekend Weather (Wed-Sun)

ORH_wxman

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes...but I expect the ensembles to shift west. I still believe the OP is too amped, but I am definitely less confident in that idea after 3 consecutive runs pretty far west with this run being the most amped yet.

But if they stay about the same within 25 miles then we can have higher confidence op is too west/amped?

Mets.. If the ens stay the same do we think the op is too amped? But if the mean shifts west, does that give the cutter idea more credence?

Credence to a cutter comes from western ridging and how that translates downstream. I would pay attention to that the next couple of days. If heights are higher than modeled on the ensembles then maybe we have a western solution.

True, but even some mets seem to love it...but like you said I hear it more in reference to why the east coast could get crushed when lows are well off-shore. Like the pro hypsters like to use that.

It is a true and accurate term when used properly. I have said it before. But, I see some poeple (not you) use it to describe a solution they do not like. 

Credence to a cutter comes from western ridging and how that translates downstream. I would pay attention to that the next couple of days. If heights are higher than modeled on the ensembles then maybe we have a western solution.

Watch us run full circle back to a cutter up to Montreal...remember last week when this week looked warm and there were a couple cutters out at day 8-10? lol

It is a true and accurate term when used properly. I have said it before. But, I see some poeple (not you) use it to describe a solution they do not like.

I should've clarified I wasn't thinking convective feedback but more if there was something happening early on in the Gulf that was causing differences. But you mets have explained it well that it's more the western ridge position.

Watch us run full circle back to a cutter up to Montreal...remember last week when this week looked warm and there were a couple cutters out at day 8-10? lol

It'll be tough to do that unless the trough can dig so far as to turn negative before it really crosses the Mississippi.

The irony of his statement too considering where he lives. :lol:

Haha to be fair the Upstate NY threads do not see as much traffic (outside of the Lake Effect snow threads)... wish we did have a more active user base up here!

That's an ongoing joke--some posters ignore the fact that appealing weather may take place outside of high populated areas. 

Congrats.  :)

No thoughts of snow out there today, 52.9/36

Too early to be giving us the congrats for the upcoming event! The ECMWF ensemble spread still had the majority in the weaker event camp (< 6") at 00z for ALB, so I'd very much like to see the ensemble distribution shift more in the operational run's direction before I start increasing confidence about this event. Still some pretty large differences between the GFS and ECMWF at this venture, although I'd certainly rather have the EC on my side for obvious reasons ;)

It's a problem. Once a model shows a snow event, people forget all the other solutions that were once on the table.

At least with the 00z GEFS, there was little variance to the spread on the eastern envelope. Unfortunately, I don't have access to the Euro EPS, so I can't say what kind of variance was going on there.

Haha to be fair the Upstate NY threads do not see as much traffic (outside of the Lake Effect snow threads)... wish we did have a more active user base up here!

Too early to be giving us the congrats for the upcoming event! The ECMWF ensemble spread still had the majority in the weaker event camp (< 6") at 00z for ALB, so I'd very much like to see the ensemble distribution shift more in the operational run's direction before I start increasing confidence about this event. Still some pretty large differences between the GFS and ECMWF at this venture, although I'd certainly rather have the EC on my side for obvious reasons ;)

I just realized the OP gets ALY to 0C at H7 but after most precip is through...but man that 700mb warmth gets inland, almost up to here too.

Archived