CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Lake Effect Snow Belts Discussion Thread

TugHillMatt

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You may wanna do the quick route to those areas just south of Lake Michigan when we get a north flow event. Ofcourse i am not sure if any event off this lake has come close to this? Guessing it is possible to get similar results if the flow were to hold long enough?

I doubt there's been a north flow event off of Lake Michigan that comes close to what's happened around Buffalo.  I can say that I've never found one when researching past events.  It can snow 2-4" or more per hour in the most intense setups, so that's not the issue... but as you said, it's getting the flow to hold steady long enough without wobbling.  

There was a pretty sharp cutoff in the 1/21 event in Lake county IN last winter.  My mom had like 5" and 2 miles east had 12+ with some amounts near 2 feet a couple miles east of that.  I thought that was impressive, but then I look at what's happened today (2" to 50"+ in about 5 miles) and just shake my head in disbelief. 

One of our professors who lives near Wanatah had 37" in the December 2010 event, but I think that's pretty much the maximum.  As you said, it's almost impossible to sustain due north flow for that long.  Usually 12 or so hours and it's over.

I do not know where the University of Buffalo is in relation to Buffalo, but their football team has a game tonight.

It is located north of the city and northwest of BUF in Tonawanda NY, which had been outside the really heavy snow zone until the bands shifted north. However, surely the opposing team won't be able to get there anyway, even if no snow fell on their campus how would anyone other than maybe Niagara Falls University get there?

Unrelated point, attention should maybe be turning to the risks of stream flooding and roof collapse issues with the milder temperatures and rain expected by Sunday night and Monday next week. Incredibly, most of this huge dump of snow in western NY will be gone by about Tuesday morning of next week. Less dramatic but similar issues for lower Michigan at least southwestern portions, doubt that the snow pack will be greatly eroded north of Grand Rapids.

It can't compare to Buffalo, but for southern Lake Michigan, it's not bad...

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NORTHERN INDIANA
1044 AM EST WED NOV 19 2014

..TIME... ...EVENT... ...CITY LOCATION... ...LAT.LON...
..DATE... ....MAG.... ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....
..REMARKS..

1040 AM HEAVY SNOW 5 NNW DOWAGIAC 42.06N 86.14W
11/19/2014 M16.3 INCH CASS MI COCORAHS

STORM TOTAL FOR ENTIRE EVENT.

I'm going with 50 inches for round 1 here, Here is round 2

StormTotalSnowFcst.png

Good luck this time around. Radar looks like some heavier snow is heading your way pretty fast. The biggest snowfall total I could see from this side of the border is in the Parry Sound region where 36 inches has fallen and another 12 inches is expected tonight/tomorrow.

Just two weeks ago I was tailgating in Orchard Park and now they don't even know if the game can be played. Too bad this didn't happen when I was down there for the game, had a hotel room and would have just sat back and enjoyed the snow.  

Nice band over Howell right now... Ripping pretty good, probably 2-3 inches.

Heading up to Gaylord at 8am.

attachicon.gif20141119_222227.jpg

Will be another fresh 12" when you get here in the A.M. and another 7-10 to fall throughout the day. I have to work (sigh) maybe I'll take a personal day :) Gonna have to rake the roof again, twice before December crazy. Last year we didn't get one snowfall over 18" , this year we already will have had two before December!

Winter Weather Advisories have been issued for Livingston and Oakland Counties.

Total snowfall of 2-4", including an additional 1-3" of snow overnight.

EDIT: The total snowfall doesn't include the synoptic snowfall from earlier today.

It's funny seeing Livingston and Oakland counties on a WWA island for lake effect snow.

Archived