• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Lake Effect Snow Belts Discussion Thread

TugHillMatt

Another kick arse week on the way for the belters....good luck, enjoy, and safe travels for ya'll.

GRR going to add to an already prolific snow total....awesome sauce gravy for your turkey...

Haha...yeah, looks like another good week! Hopefully the wind won't blow all the snow over my location. It looks like much of the Upper Midwest will get some wrap-around snows from the low pressure before the LES kicks in too.

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, the Governor of NY is saying the Buffalo NWS did not do a very good job with forecasting the LES for the Buffalo area...at least with the first band of snow. I thought they did a great job.  Why are we always blaming others for weather events?

http://www.mychamplainvalley.com/story/d/story/cuomo-critical-of-forecast-as-w-ny-braces-for-floo/32128/Wm0twa0ZVkOj1mcTUl2FSQ

So, the Governor of NY is saying the Buffalo NWS did not do a very good job with forecasting the LES for the Buffalo area...at least with the first band of snow. I thought they did a great job.  Why are we always blaming others for weather events?

http://www.mychamplainvalley.com/story/d/story/cuomo-critical-of-forecast-as-w-ny-braces-for-floo/32128/Wm0twa0ZVkOj1mcTUl2FSQ

That's your average joe for you!!!

What a joke... He's throwing them under a bus to make it look like he's a real "take no bullsh-t kind of governor".

Reminds me of Hurricane Katrina and all the Monday morning QBing that when on afterward.

What a joke... He's throwing them under a bus to make it look like he's a real "take no bullsh-t kind of governor".

Reminds me of Hurricane Katrina and all the Monday morning QBing that when on afterward.

At least the article acknowledges that the NWS was predicting 3-5 inch per hour rates, etc.

Gotta find a scapegoat somewhere

The guys an idiot. You can use our thread on the upstate section to disprove his every thought. This was one of the best forecasted LES events in recent memory.

The guys an idiot. You can use our thread on the upstate section to disprove his every thought. This was one of the best forecasted LES events in recent memory.

Haha. For anybody who has a brain and knows how to look up/research forecasts, it's quite obvious he has no idea what he is talking about. I would be ticked if I was the lead forecaster at the BUF NWS.

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/44955-governor-cuomo-vs-nws-buffalo/

I thought the NWS in Buffalo did an excellent job, actually most NWS's did a great job including my office APX (Gaylord). Buffalo had very detailed forecasts and informative AFD's, A+. This is just a political game for the local government/media, obviously this even twas huge, and Buffalo areas were not prepared enough even though they had plenty of notice. So they are looking for the easiest scapegoat. 

BUF did an excellent job of forecasting the event. They mentioned in their discos several days in advance of the possibility of measuring snow in feet. Jon Hitchcock at BUF knows his stuff about LES. I know him from his days at IWX.

If I were the lead forecaster, I'd tell Cuomo to bite me.

Does anyone know what this little feature is? Meso-Low/Lake Ontario enhancement?

A large meso-low moved SE off of Lake Huron early to mid afternoon, so I wonder if what was left of it interacted with Lakes Erie and Ontario to dump that snow on Buffalo. There were other meso-lows on Lakes Michigan and Huron over the last day or so, and even off of Lake Erie there were a couple of small meso-lows in that developed as a surface trough pushed by, so whatever happened over the last couple of days (probably big temp differentials from air to water and light winds) certainly supported meso-lows.

A large meso-low moved SE off of Lake Huron early to mid afternoon, so I wonder if what was left of it interacted with Lakes Erie and Ontario to dump that snow on Buffalo. There were other meso-lows on Lakes Michigan and Huron over the last day or so, and even off of Lake Erie there were a couple of small meso-lows in that developed as a surface trough pushed by, so whatever happened over the last couple of days (probably big temp differentials from air to water and light winds) certainly supported meso-lows.

Thanks. I thought it looked like one.

• 1 month later...

should start building some more depth in the lake belts in this pattern.  Lower pen is really behind by last years standards.  UP, depth wise, probably really close to average.  the belts east of Munising have been really cashing in, with a few 40+" starting to show up.  32-36" imby, but its a solid snowpack not very susceptible to a thaw like the snows being laid down state will be next week.  Guess we'll see how the warm up goes.

Archived