12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Lake Effect Snow Belts Discussion Thread

TugHillMatt

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can kind of understand that - if you live there and see what happens winter and winter. "Its a local thing"

There's local weather terms (and other types) around here as well. 

Maybe up there by Bo, there is specific area that are considered snow belts and others not, even if they are close to Lake Superior. 

Radar images like these are worth saving. That is a "sick" northern cutoff.

BUF.N0Q.20141118.1645.gif

I just saw this post, Geos.  IMO, and from what I've seen and read, the entire shoreline of Superior in the UP, and also the eastern shore of L MI as well are considered "snow belts" in general terms.  I get where Josh is coming from because there are definitely snow belts inside snow belts.  And it's really more or less something locals (and weather weenies) of particular areas understand.  The general public can't distinguish the difference in snow belts. 

So In the case of Josh, locally, he is probably not considered to be in the main belt.  But damn, after today, that should be examined closer! :D

One day when I'm married, can afford it, etc I want to move to a LES belt location, I need to experience this once in my life before I pass. 

You got this all wrong.

Move... Then get married...

If Kids come into the equation, you might not be able to afford to move again.

I just saw this post, Geos.  IMO, and from what I've seen and read, the entire shoreline of Superior in the UP, and also the eastern shore of L MI as well are considered "snow belts" in general terms.  I get where Josh is coming from because there are definitely snow belts inside snow belts.  And it's really more or less something locals (and weather weenies) of particular areas understand.  The general public can't distinguish the difference in snow belts. 

So In the case of Josh, locally, he is probably not considered to be in the main belt.  But damn, after today, that should be examined closer! :D

That's a good way of putting it... "snow belts inside snow belts".

If I had to pick a snow belt to live in I'd probably take the one you lived in northern lower. 

Great picture. Actually a handful of times my yard looked close to that!

Can't wait for the end of the day when I can look at all the reports from this event.

---

Roger, nice post on the Canadian snow belts!

That's a good way of putting it... "snow belts inside snow belts".

If I had to pick a snow belt to live in I'd probably take the one you lived in northern lower. 

Great picture. Actually a handful of times my yard looked close to that!

Can't wait for the end of the day when I can look at all the reports from this event.

---

Roger, nice post on the Canadian snow belts!

nw lower is an awesome belt.  If you live close to the coast, you get the nw, wnw,w,wsw, and sw and  nnw flows are decent as well.  And if you lived inland some like Josh in Gaylord, you have an elevation rise from 600 to 1400 in 25 miles or so.  Negatives are, N lake MI is pretty shallow and can freeze up by Feb.  But I've seen it snow there to some degree for 10-14 days nonstop.  100-150" is a great seasonal snow total... and the thaws aren't too bad either.

I prefer the raw wilderness of the UP and was looking for 200+"....

Buffalo officials are worried that people stranded on 90 near Lancaster that they might get buried and trapped in their cars!

Yeah it is going to be bad there, none of them should have been on the road to begin with though. It might end up being a situation like what happened on the 402 east of Sarnia last year or the year before where people were stuck in their cars overnight and were snowmobiled out because the highway was impassable from lake effect snow and drifting.

How the heck do you guys who live in this area deal with these kinds of snow totals? Do you miss work for 2 weeks? I mean wth. I guess its a different world there. 

It's not always like this. I work 3 miles from my house, my wife works from home. I am in training currently and they already canceled today and tomorrow. WNY takes this in strides.

nw lower is an awesome belt.  If you live close to the coast, you get the nw, wnw,w,wsw, and sw and  nnw flows are decent as well.  And if you lived inland some like Josh in Gaylord, you have an elevation rise from 600 to 1400 in 25 miles or so.  Negatives are, N lake MI is pretty shallow and can freeze up by Feb.  But I've seen it snow there to some degree for 10-14 days nonstop.  100-150" is a great seasonal snow total... and the thaws aren't too bad either.

I prefer the raw wilderness of the UP and was looking for 200+"....

Can;t go wrong up here for sure, NWL is a great spot, you will see many 2'+ events, sadly probably never close to 4-5' like Western NY, but in my opinion the snow is better used up here for winter sports especially snowmobiling.  A lot less thaws up here with more consistent temps. There are many good spots to live in NWL but you have to be able to make it work financially. Another consideration is where you would like to live, I chose the gaylord area because I love being near the "Big" city for the modern conveniences. Where Bo was is Elsworth is a very small town with not much besides a couple mom n pop shops etc. Everyone has their preference but I live about 7 miles South West of Gaylord so I get the woods and isolated feel, but only a couple minutes from a home depot or Applebees etc. Not to mention I am a almost lock for 150" a year good year 200".

As Bo said, the lake does usually freeze up mid-late winter which we lose our LES guns, if not for that Gaylord would probably hit 200" a year pretty easily, the almost 1500' sea level helps immensely. IF it was my choice I would move out West in the mountains just because I love powder and free ranging on my sled, but couldn't get the wife to move that far :) Was lucky enough to move to Gaylord. I have no complaints I love this area and will retire here but have a condo in the deep south.

Archived