Newest Member
    joxey
Lake Effect Snow Belts Discussion Thread

TugHillMatt

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Over 6". Just relentless today just nonstop I'm thinking 8-9" for a total

My house is about 12 miles north east of you, north west St Clair county south of I-69. Checking the radar for the past few hours, it looked like our area was getting hit pretty good with that main band from lake MI for a while. When I left this moring around 5:00 there was about 3" or so on the ground. Sounds like there might be twice that by the time I get home tonight. I'm going to have to plow for the first time this season tonight. I don't remember the last time I plowed snow at home in Nov.

So how did Harry do...or still doing.   Western MI has had nonstop streamers all week.  Gotta believe some records have gone down in the GRR area.

There have been some daily snowfall records.  GRR is at #3 snowiest November ever before today's snow.  The snow has been very banded with some areas getting more than others.  Right along Lake Michigan the amounts are a lot less.  The winds have been so strong everything has gone inland further.

There wouldn't be much need for snow clearance in Toronto by the weekend, so maybe the Ontario government could co-ordinate something with New York state and send an army of snow clearance machines and experienced operators across the border, they could get in there as far as possible and help out before the rain hits.

Once that rain hits on Sunday night and Monday, the south towns are going to be under massive assault from snow load and urban ponding issues. Would have to imagine that either no clearance has taken place in some areas, or else huge mountains of snow around plowed parking lots will be natural barriers holding back meltwater.

Too bad this snow couldn't all be trucked down to Lake Mead and dumped in there.

I just got in from plowing, I measured in a few different spots and we got a hair over 6". This is the most lake effect snow from lake Michigan that I have ever got at my house here in St Clair county. We get it from lake Huron now and then but todays snow was very unusual. It was a narrow band, south of 30 mile road and north of I-69 have much less.

Hey Bo, thanks, yes those are wood pellets :) We have a pellet stove we use as alternate heat to our furnace. 

I have one too, so I wondered.  I use soft wood pellets, rather than hard that you can buy at lowes or home depot.  a bit more expensive but they burn more efficient and cleaner so the glass door stays soot free. 

snow looks January deep already in NW lower, bet you're loving it! :D

I have one too, so I wondered.  I use soft wood pellets, rather than hard that you can buy at lowes or home depot.  a bit more expensive but they burn more efficient and cleaner so the glass door stays soot free. 

Where do you get the soft pellets at? How much more are they hen the normal?

Regarding snow, snowpack depth is anywhere 20" - 30" plus, average is around 24". Looks like mid January!!

Hopefully the rain doesn't hurt it to bad.

Regarding snow, snowpack depth is anywhere 20" - 30" plus, average is around 24". Looks like mid January!!

Love both of your pictures!

I have a pellet stove too. I'm switching to hard/soft mix. I have been using straight hard. Didn't know that soft was cleaner. Hmmmm. I get mine at Family Farm & Home.

Just been an incredible LES day here. Looks like mid-winter right now.

I know. What a day. I have seen LES million times around here usually its on the range 1-4" the exception was back in 2005 that gave Lake Orion near 6"... at that time it was special but last night and today was epic for LES stand point. We may never see that amount of snow from Lake Michigan again in our lives but then again the last 15 winters has been proving me wrong.

they're anywhere from .30-.50 cents more a bag.  I get them from a pellet stove dealer south of Marquette in Gwin.

I just got a text from my cousin who has a place 6 miles north of Paradise half way up to white fish point. He said there is 36" on the ground at his place.

From Gaylord north, and all through the UP is buried... minus the southern part of the UP in the banana belt :D

some 3'+ areas in the west UP near Ontonagon as well.

Snowblowers are for washed up old men. I'll show you lake effect belters how to dig snow! Pile it up as high as possible, ON THE NORTH SIDE of sun-blocking objects! Paths need to be at least 8 feet wide. I want to see all of your cars dug out with at least 5 feet of clearance around them.

Can You Dig It ?????

Don't make me have to come up there and show you how to shovel lake effect snow!

Jeb, is that really you? lol I remember reading your posts when I was in college 10 years ago. :)

It looks like it was quite the Lake effect week for many on the forum. Awesome! I had more snow from the lake the previous week than this past week. The winds were just too stinking strong, skipping over the lakeshore areas.

I had about a foot of snow on the ground up to yesterday. Now, the warmup is already putting a dent into the snowpack.

Ready to do it all over again next week? :)

Archived