12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Lake Effect Snow Belts Discussion Thread

TugHillMatt

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Buffalo - compared to the rest of the eastern US, you live in a snow belt. You don't live in the heart of the snow belt, but you are in the northern part of the Lake Erie one.

Epic pictures and videos, keep them coming!  :snowing:

Fair enough.^_^  If you guys lived here you would know no one considers myself a snowbelt. Just hard to explain I guess.

Buffalo - compared to the rest of the eastern US, you live in a snow belt. You don't live in the heart of the snow belt, but you are in the northern part of the Lake Erie one.

Epic pictures and videos, keep them coming! :snowing:

Ya definitely south of town. Everywhere from east of Cle to Buff and south of the lake gets alot of LES ...and is the "snow belt".

Fair enough. ^_^  If you guys lived here you would know no one considers myself a snowbelt. Just hard to explain I guess.

That's pretty amazing if that's the case.  Maybe there are different perceptions between locals and outsiders but to any reasonable outsider, you're definitely part of the snow belt.

Fair enough. ^_^  If you guys lived here you would know no one considers myself a snowbelt. Just hard to explain I guess.

I can kind of understand that - if you live there and see what happens winter and winter. "Its a local thing"

There's local weather terms (and other types) around here as well. 

Maybe up there by Bo, there is specific area that are considered snow belts and others not, even if they are close to Lake Superior. 

Radar images like these are worth saving. That is a "sick" northern cutoff.

BUF.N0Q.20141118.1645.gif

I can kind of understand that - if you live there and see what happens winter and winter.

There's local weather terms (and other types) around here as well.

Radar images like these are worth saving. That is a "sick" northern cutoff.

BUF.N0Q.20141118.1645.gif

Wow what a cut off! I'd be so mad if i was on the north side lol.

Also, agree...western basin does ice over earlier.

Been snowing good all day here, called off work was planning on firing up the sled until I realized I had 2' plus on my roof already and were going to get more Thursday.

10409264_10202931526748715_845134628216311100_10202931526948720_721389271486534910387486_10202931527108724_6428425809543By the way these were takin a couple hoursr ago, another 3inches has fallen since then.

Awesome pics! You're going to need a larger snowblower. ^_^

Re the date, I remember a couple or maybe three outbreaks like this in Nov 1976 with heavy lake effect snow, and of course an epic cold winter (although short-lived past Feb 10th) followed. There was a big dump of lake effect snow around Nov 22-23 of 1970 at the front end of another good winter. As I recall, small lakes were frozen over in central Ontario in late November in 1976, quite often the freeze date for them is closer to Christmas. However, I can also recall a big lake effect snow storm at the end of Nov 1979 in south town areas (s BUF) and that winter was a total dud afterwards, unless you lived in Virginia Beach where they got rocked on leap year day 1980.

Great pics Josh. Going to take you a while to clear the drive even with a snow blower!

---

Had to share these two images I found from two West Seneca traffic cams.

Use Alternative route - yeah no kidding!

If you look closely enough you can see a semi under the bridge buried!

Great pics Josh. Going to take you a while to clear the drive even with a snow blower!

---

Had to share these two images I found from two West Seneca traffic cams.

Use Alternative route - yeah no kidding!

attachicon.gifwestseneca111814LES.png

If you look closely enough you can see a semi under the bridge buried!

attachicon.gifwestseneca111814LESsemi.png

Ha, I just roof raked my house, pretty tired, may cheat and have my neighbor drop his plow instead :) Currently between two heavy bands, still expect a few more inches today. Thursday is looking pretty good as well.

I always used to think of the western NY state snow belt as running from south end of BUF to just north of Olean, but of course you can get heavy snow squalls further north sometimes in either SW or N-NE winds. I wouldn't say ROC was in the snow belt but they can get heavy lake effect. But I would say SYR and ART are in snow belts. Just a general term anyway, same in south-central Ontario, locals talk of the "snow belt" as being 20-30 miles north of London and north, then generally a bit north of K-W and Guelph to around Orangeville and over towards Lindsay, but heavy snow squalls can sometimes hit south of that zone.

There was some chat on here about where is the best LES in Ontario -- would say the northern half of Simcoe County (Barrie, Orillia and Midland), south Parry Sound and most of Muskoka, also Grey-Bruce can be epic (that would be the part around YVV that separates Lake Huron from Ggn Bay). The Lucan snow belt just north of London is a bit less guaranteed to hit but when it does, also epic amounts. Then in WSW winds they get hit in southern Prince Edward county that sticks out into eastern Lake Ontario, as well as in south Niagara across from BUF. If the winds come around more to SW then Kingston can get very heavy snow but it's not spoken of as being a snow belt area like Watertown NY would be. Of course there's also a heavy snow zone east of Lake Superior.

Nobody would call Toronto-Hamilton a snow belt but when winds are persistently east to northeast then it becomes a temporary snow belt. The Georgian Bay snows usually peter out rather gradually and typically have 100-150 miles of reach inland across Algonquin Park and towards the Ottawa valley, so that snow belt is fairly extensive to the north of Peterborough. I used to live in Lakefield northeast of Peterborough and the locals talked about the snow belt starting just north of there but we would get a lot of light leftover lake effect anyway, it wasn't that sharp a gradient. Around Barrie ON there is often a very sharp gradient, when I lived in that area in 1973-76 I got used to driving in and out of walls of S+ conditions with bright sunshine in between the bands. The ideal snow location in that region would be Midland on Georgian Bay.

Alden NY has reported 48" in 24 hours in a recent Public Information Statement.

..ERIE COUNTY     ALDEN                 48.0  1100 AM 11/18  AMATEUR RADIO                LANCASTER             48.0  1015 AM 11/18  AMATEUR RADIO                1 S EAST LANCASTER    42.0  1000 AM 11/18  NEAR COMO PARK               ELMA                  37.2   820 AM 11/18  COCORAHS                     1 E EAST LANCASTER    37.0  1040 AM 11/18  SOCIAL MEDIA    

That's pretty amazing if that's the case. Maybe there are different perceptions between locals and outsiders but to any reasonable outsider, you're definitely part of the snow belt.

If you live in a snowbelt... at least in ohio, there is the primary and secondary belt. His location is probably secondary in wny.

Archived