12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Lake Effect Snow Belts Discussion Thread

TugHillMatt

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have been watching that band... It must be CRANKING there.

Yes dropped in inch in about 30 Mins so far, probably get 2 inches out of this band alone, looks to settle down, but more bands are aligning off the lake.

There does appear to be a meso low in Superior north of Newberry, could drop some serious totals when then comes on shore.

Most of the snow staying west of 131 along the I-94 corridor.

Looks like Harry and I may miss out on most of the "rippage".

Starting to look that way. Needed a wnw flow and this is west to wsw and with the moisture not as robust as models etc suggested it is not helping either. Always something with LES. Models are useless..

By personal experience, the greatest totals I ever witnessed were last winter near Grand Marais.... I also like the remoteness of the area, it's far less traveled than the Keweenaw.

Munising is a good town, but they seem to fall behind Grand Marais based on experience. Livability, Munising owns Grand Marais though.

1. Keweenaw/Calumet

2. Munising

3. Mancelona

4. Gaylord

5. Kalkaska

6. Maple City/Leelanau County

In Michigan:

1:) Keweenaw

2.) Huron Moutnains (Around Bo)

3) Grand Marias

4)Gaylord (Hey already live here : :snowing:

Western New Your (Most Preferred just to see a 3-4' storm once)

1:) Oswego (Tug Hill Area)

2:) South of Buffalo

Hope you get some thundersnow. Nothing beats it!

Thanks! I experienced it during the Blizzard of 1993 at my home in Lancaster, PA. I probably did a "Jim Cantore" move... lol

Models have good banding making it all the way to me.... Supposed to make it out this way after 2am.

I hope you get it! Did you guys get some today? How much is on the ground there?

The Tug is the king of LES, but its a bit warmer and more prone to melts. That's a knock... But its definitely the king of LES.

This is the same thing I have thought about. The U.P. gets many less "Warm" Low Pressure systems. I haven't looked at any climo maps, but my guess is that the U.P. is probably 10 degrees colder, if not more, than the Tughill. I'd probably get my wife to live int he Tug before the U.P. though. It's closer to our families in PA and isn't as "close to the North Pole" as she would say. haha

Thanks! I experienced it during the Blizzard of 1993 at my home in Lancaster, PA. I probably did a "Jim Cantore" move... lol

I hope you get it! Did you guys get some today? How much is on the ground there?

This is the same thing I have thought about. The U.P. gets many less "Warm" Low Pressure systems. I haven't looked at any climo maps, but my guess is that the U.P. is probably 10 degrees colder, if not more, than the Tughill. I'd probably get my wife to live int he Tug before the U.P. though. It's closer to our families in PA and isn't as "close to the North Pole" as she would say. haha

Jan 2014 was 10F degrees colder in Marquette than Watertown.

Since LES is the big topic tonight and everyone has discussed the best places on the US side for snow. What areas in Ontario get the best LES? I would imagine downwind of Lake Huron holds the best spot somewhere.

4km NAM snowfall in the next 48 hours.

nam4km_asnow_neus_17.png

Since LES is the big topic tonight and everyone has discussed the best places on the US side for snow. What areas in Ontario get the best LES? I would imagine downwind of Lake Huron holds the best spot somewhere.

4km NAM snowfall in the next 48 hours.

Lots of good places since we're surrounded by lakes, so very dependent on wind direction. Here's a TV graphic from tonight showing one of the hotspots for tonight's WSW winds.

B2sVjT0CEAAhmIV.png

I lived in the Muskoka region of Ontario for two years, and they got some pretty nice lake effect snow bands off of Georgian Bay there. It is also very cold there, so the snow cover pretty much lasts the whole winter.London, Collingwood, Barrie, Bracebridge, and Huntsville all do well. I lived between Bracebridge and Huntsville. They also get nice uplift because they're a higher elevation and also have Algonquin Park (higher hills) for orographic lift.

Archived