Newest Member
    Toothache
Massive Nor'easter Disco 10/21-25

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lol yes.

But man no downslope issues in the CT valley of Mass...only the NE flow downslope of I-84 in CT off the southern ORH hills.

We will get some leftovers up here, This one closed off further south so it is more of an open wave up here, Not to say we don't see more qpf but i don't see it to the extremes it was last night further south with the convection

Are winds more NE in the lowest 2-4kft?

I'm always fascinated in the minute details of why some east flow events cause such a downslope problem while others are no issue.

Yeah.  Hard to say.  In some cases, like Feb 2013 and the Octobomb for example I think it's just a matter of lucking out with a well placed N-S deformation band that ignores terrain to some extent, perhaps with a standard deduction compared to the surroundings.  The tightly wound, stacked up nuke S of LI seems to be the worst for real downsloping but it's mostly anecdotal. 

Last night we might have got some enhancement from that bent back front shown in the sat pic.

Why is that? I would have guessed it would be the opposite?

The LLJ is still there, but you lose the cooling effect of precipitation. Sometimes rains have strong winds at the onset of heavy bands, but then go almost calm while in the middle of it. I also noticed the winds increase a bit on the VAD profile at the TDWR.

I was going to comment yesterday when you mentioned the convection that was firing around NJ, That can work in a couple different ways and most of the time i know up here it has been in a negative one

The hires models were a disaster for a time early yesterday. Actually handled things poorly. Had to wait a few hours as the little features of the storm got going before they had any clue.

Yeah.  Hard to say.  In some cases, like Feb 2013 and the Octobomb for example I think it's just a matter of lucking out with a well placed N-S deformation band that ignores terrain to some extent, perhaps with a standard deduction compared to the surroundings.  The tightly wound, stacked up nuke S of LI seems to be the worst for real downsloping but it's mostly anecdotal. 

Last night we might have got some enhancement from that bent back front shown in the sat pic.

There was some elevated instability driving some of the heavier precip last night as well (this is why we had thunderstorms embedded) which isn't affected as much by terrain.

To get the real CT Valley screwjobs, we typically are looking for a more deep layer ENE flow in the boundary layer up to around 850mb with frontogenetical forcing at a minimum...that is when the terrain will be most efficient.

nice Beantown clearing shot

Just arrived here in along Rt 2 east of Fitchburg... Brightened and actual splashes of sun now... Dry slot punching west -- this is a seriously core wrapped mongrel.  

I was thinking ... though we have had some impressive winters (some ...less so) over recent years, we haven't really witnessed one of those good old slow crawling closed low menace.  Everything seems to be progressive.  That last serious cut off monster I remember was 1997 ...though some may find those in the annals there were close.  1992, 1997... 1978...etc...  Seems there's something about the atmospheric integration of mechanics overall that favors some years for hornet stings and other years of transient bombs... Interesting

Jay did. Should be able to blow some leaves this afternoon in CT

My post from 8:30am :

"We have this dryslot move in now with a lull, but another plume of moisture arrives near the cape and islands this afternoon and brings another round of rain to eastern mass. 12z hrrr has it. 12z rap does to. Worst is well over, just looks to be additional rainfall."

Archived