Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Massive Nor'easter Disco 10/21-25

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I guess places have to work with what they have...not going to cut trees down in your yard just for measuring water.

But even without wind, even during heavy thunderstorms the most liquid will fall just outside a trees canopy as those big tropical drops explode and bounce out from away from trees, so you get the liquid falling straight down plus the excess stuff coming off the trees. But you can't put it under the canopy as you'll be just as low as the gauge just outside the canopy is high.

Yeah the thing is, you don't get heavy rain from a coastal storm without wind around here. So for a tstm it would work , but otherwise why spend a lot of money for something giving me inaccurate readings?

Can you do like snowfall measuring and set up like three and average them? lol

Measuring is tough too. I do have spots and a whole process I go through to figure it out lol. I've noticed the readings sometimes stick out, but many people who report snow once a day or after the storm will differ by quite a bit.

Yeah the thing is, you don't get heavy rain from a coastal storm without wind around here. So for a tstm it would work , but otherwise why spend a lot of money for something giving me inaccurate readings?

True...you'd have accurate rain readings in the winter maybe when the canopy is down, but who wants to measure winter rain? lol. But yeah with your wind putting whole trees in motion and leaves swaying, that's definitely blowing excess moisture with it.

You really need a good wide open yard to accurately sample rain, just like snow. Like in the winter I don't know how people in cities or densely developed areas measure snow...sure you got 2 feet in your front yard but everyone's roof is blown clean, just wind-loading the small yards and tight streets. I know Dendrites mentioned that...the good ol' city block just buried look as all the snow on the roof-tops is now on car-tops, sidewalks, and roads.

True...you'd have accurate rain readings in the winter maybe when the canopy is down, but who wants to measure winter rain? lol. But yeah with your wind putting whole trees in motion and leaves swaying, that's definitely blowing excess moisture with it.

You really need a good wide open yard to accurately sample rain, just like snow. Like in the winter I don't know how people in cities or densely developed areas measure snow...sure you got 2 feet in your front yard but everyone's roof is blown clean, just wind-loading the small yards and tight streets. I know Dendrites mentioned that...the good ol' city block just buried look as all the snow on the roof-tops is now on car-tops, sidewalks, and roads.

I could put it in the front yard but what a random eye soar lol.

Some of those rooftops are boxed in a bit.

Yeah I guess places have to work with what they have...not going to cut trees down in your yard just for measuring water.

But even without wind, even during heavy thunderstorms the most liquid will fall just outside a trees canopy as those big tropical drops explode and bounce out from away from trees, so you get the liquid falling straight down plus the excess stuff coming off the trees. But you can't put it under the canopy as you'll be just as low as the gauge just outside the canopy is high.

Well a true weenie would............

Our cleared (except for semi-dwarf apple trees) yard plus adjacent road measures about 70' by 100', and is almost fully surrounded by trees 60-80' tall.  My gauge is sited within 20' of some trees to the SW, but much farther from those to the north and east.  Probably loses some windy TS precip, but should be okay for synoptic events with the usual E to N winds.  While I've caught a leaf or two in the funnel at times, never anything clog-worthy.  (It's been a good trap for Japanese beetles, however.) 

sort of exactly like your spot where tree loading adds a lot, Mansfield stake too

sort of exactly like your spot where tree loading adds a lot, Mansfield stake too

Come on up and I'll show you, I think you'll find the sheltered area where snow accumulates straight up to the top of the conifers to be a suitable site. You've seen my pictures, evergreens loaded to the gills with snow...not some wind blasted area. That's what makes it a great spot, snow falls straight down. Upper elevation west side is another story, but upper east side is protected from probably 90% of winter wind which comes with a westerly orientation from SSW to NNW.

roofs blow snow off but trees don't

Well you have to ask yourself the question of...if it's so sheltered, the wind must be blowing somewhere else (ie the ridgeline). I can't comment because I don't know the relationship to wind speed and how far downstream snow will travel.

I can tell you that 3,000ft on the east side is generally blocked, especially in any westerly flow. Snow blows off rooflines and trees if there's wind. Think of where the "roof" is in this case though.

I don't think jspin's elevated measuring table has been touched by wind for decades.

:lol:

I do think a lot of you in eastern New England during the nor'easters get more windy snowfalls than any other spot. JSpin could put that thing 60 ft in the air and it wouldn't matter.

We don't get a ton of snow on east flow, so being just on the east slope, a lot of the snowfalls happen with wind going "over-the-top". Oftentimes at the mountain, the windiest spot is near the base area as that's where the wind can finally mix down again.

I have much more wind issues at the base snow plot than at 3000ft. It's like when you see pics of mine with just caked stark white trees in the upper elevation east side but it's not rime, it's just the part of the mountain not touched by wind in most events. We don't get a ton of strong sustained easterly flow storms up here, so it's hard to gauge.

I agree about the hype from TWC, but if you are going to bash them because you thought the storm was benign, then bash the NWS for putting up FW and HWW.  That wasn't a benign nor'easter.

I think it's fair to say the storm overperformed. We didn't even have gale warnings on the Sound a few hours before the start of the event and wound up with storm conditions. Same deal in E Mass where they went from nothing to advisory to high wind warning mid-event. It was easy to bash them for hyping prior to the storm (where their own story/forecast didn't match the headline hyperbole) but once the storm happened... it turned out that headline was not far off. 

average of 10 measurements for depth, snowboard for accumulation in a open area away from trees houses is the best you can do.

I was joking with that comment but yeah, I usually do at least 6 measurements in an open area, The board is sometimes rendered useless on windy storms

Archived