• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
October Discussion

TalcottWx

I was just going by the thermal profile there...the liquid matches the thermal profile the model is spitting out. Maybe it would be different in real life but at that point you can just go by the soundings.

Do you see how thick the warm layer is on the thermal time series? The second chart in my post...is that sounding different on other products like twister data?

Yeah I can't atone for that honestly ... Although, those intervals are based on modeled perception of things ... so, intrinsically we question the veracity of those warm (or cool) layers -- at least I do -- given to the violence aloft.  It could be correct in early times frames, but perhaps just too slow to modulate the lower levels during the trough amplitude...

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Saturday fantasy GFS solution is already getting too much attention on twitter.

My tweet was more in humor for fellow Met's too laugh with. Also I always like to say how this is "technical discussion, not a forecast". Too many people take the 186hr output and take it to heart. Way to many things to change between then and now. I use to brush anything over 120hrs right out of the convo. Just like the 386. I now look at 120-200ish just to talk technical with fellow met's. It is for sure interesting

My tweet was more in humor for fellow Met's too laugh with. Also I always like to say how this is "technical discussion, not a forecast". Too many people take the 186hr output and take it to heart. Way to many things to change between then and now. I use to brush anything over 120hrs right out of the convo. Just like the 386. I now look at 120-200ish just to talk technical with fellow met's. It is for sure interesting

I didn't mean your tweet....there was some other BS on there.

This would be a wrist-slitter track in January on the GFS.  A cold rain for SNE--maybe a couple of flakes at the tail-end for high elevations (Pete).

Looks a bit gusty through Saturday night.  I'll be sitting in the cold at Lane Stadium cheering on VT for a win over BC while you folks might be having a bit of a breezy rain storm.  Winds die down by the time I land at 2:00pm. at BDL.

Of course, the storm may not materialize at all.  :)

Nice fall day now though.  Cloudy and breezy.

47.9/39

Today definitely has that classic cold season WNW flow lake effect streamer/upslope appeal to it with occasional rain showers and gusty winds. If this were winter, we'd probably be getting snow showers instead with an inch or two of accumulation. 49° F, but much cooler in the higher elevations.

I am the process of securing a plot of land up at 2,230' of elevation on the east slope of the southern Green Mountains about 35 miles north of my current location, so it should be a big upgrade in the snow department from where I am now. I'm guessing they probably average between 110" and 120" per year there according to some of the nearby COOP data. I'm hoping to build on it either next year or in 2016.

Today definitely has that classic cold season WNW flow lake effect streamer/upslope appeal to it with occasional rain showers and gusty winds. If this were winter, we'd probably be getting snow showers instead with an inch or two of accumulation. 49° F, but much cooler in the higher elevations.

I am the process of securing a plot of land up at 2,230' of elevation on the east slope of the southern Green Mountains about 35 miles north of my current location, so it should be a big upgrade in the snow department from where I am now. I'm guessing they probably average between 110" and 120" per year there according to some of the nearby COOP data. I'm hoping to build on it either next year or in 2016.

That's awesome, Mitch! Which town in SVT? 

Yeah 2200ft on the east slope of the southern Greens should work, lol. A weenies paradise, high elevation, east of the crest for CAD, but still able to get NW upslope before it dries out, and easterly upslope jackpot.

that ship sailed, only uhi spots left

Not along the ocean and nearby coastal plain. I haven't frozen yet and I'm 5 miles inland. BOS-no but yes on uhi, BVY? I think not, PYM? Don't think so yet. Exclude OWD because they along with MVY are among the best radiators around.

Yeah 2200ft on the east slope of the southern Greens should work, lol. A weenies paradise, high elevation, east of the crest for CAD, but still able to get NW upslope before it dries out, and easterly upslope jackpot.

That's why I chose it. It should capitalize in both situations. Granted I won't get as much of the NW flow stuff as you do, but I should still get some. However, that location should do best with a nice, juicy coastal that has a ripping easterly LLJ that upslopes as it hits the east side of the spine.

In sum, it's far enough south to get in on some of the coastals, but far enough north to still do fairly well in a SWFE pattern like '07-'08, and has enough topography to still get quite a bit of orographic enhancement. It's only 15-20 minutes from North Adams and 45-50 minutes from Pittsfield, so I can get to places fairly easily. I can't wait to spend my first winter up there. I'll definitely take some weenie trips up there this winter.

Not along the ocean and nearby coastal plain. I haven't frozen yet and I'm 5 miles inland. BOS-no but yes on uhi, BVY? I think not, PYM? Don't think so yet. Exclude OWD because they along with MVY are among the best radiators around.

There are still a decent amount of spots that haven't had a frost/freeze...not a ton but even NNE spots like Lake Winni, Gene's hill, that poster Lava Rock in Maine, PWM, BTV...so likewise I'm sure there are spots in SNE, especially some hilltop or coastal sites.

Archived