• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
October Discussion

TalcottWx

Today definitely has that classic cold season WNW flow lake effect streamer/upslope appeal to it with occasional rain showers and gusty winds. If this were winter, we'd probably be getting snow showers instead with an inch or two of accumulation. 49° F, but much cooler in the higher elevations.

I am the process of securing a plot of land up at 2,230' of elevation on the east slope of the southern Green Mountains about 35 miles north of my current location, so it should be a big upgrade in the snow department from where I am now. I'm guessing they probably average between 110" and 120" per year there according to some of the nearby COOP data. I'm hoping to build on it either next year or in 2016.

Righteous, Mitch.  You'll sit pretty unrivaled in SF department (PF at the top of the hill would do better, but not in town I imagine?).

46.1/40

occasional rn-

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Righteous, Mitch. You'll sit pretty unrivaled in SF department (PF at the top of the hill would do better, but not in town I imagine?).

46.1/40

occasional rn-

We'd probably be pretty similar if he was in the 110-120" range. My range since living here at 750ft for 4 winters is from 151" in 2010-2011 to 90" in 2011-2012.

Up at the office at 1500ft would be hard to beat at 160-170". There are two gradients in play up here, elevation and proximity to the Spine axis. It's a sharp gradient as the office at the base of the ski resort gets 4 more feet than town and it's only 4-5 miles away. JSpin and I have joked that it seems like a foot per mile in seasonal difference on the east side where the gradient is sharper than the west slope.

Not along the ocean and nearby coastal plain. I haven't frozen yet and I'm 5 miles inland. BOS-no but yes on uhi, BVY? I think not, PYM? Don't think so yet. Exclude OWD because they along with MVY are among the best radiators around.

PYM had one.

Edit: got to at least 32 for a couple of hours, but don't recall if lower. It's still been mild overall.

:lmao:

And that...is why I chose my profession over the alternative :P

Isallobaric wind equation. In simple terms, it's a wind component that is perpendicular to the isobars and is directed toward the area of greatest pressure falls. It's essentially a response to rapidly deepening low pressure.

Euro is back a little bit for NNE, but looks best for Quebec with the track of the 850 and 700mb lows. VT gets a 2-4 event on the back end if you were to actually believe the clown map.

The 12z GFS would just destroy the Champlain Valley and western slopes.

Point is it wasn't uhi related. PYM must measure in a low spot back from the ocean. Lots of places haven't frozen yet. Average first 32 for BOS is 11/7 in 1971-2000 climo. Not sure if it's different now with the later database.

Most of SE MA away from the beaches gets pretty cold at night. The Cape and SE mA have probably had colder readings than metro west. BOX for whatever reason didn't get the memo, but they have had several frosts and freezes.

But I agree it's been mild overall for night mins.

Wintry weekend and hopefully that GFS depiction of 60 knot winds works out as well 

FRIDAY NIGHT INTO SUNDAY...

STILL UNCERTAINTY WITH HOW AMPLIFYING TROF EVOLVES AND WHERE CLOSED
LOW ACTUALLY DEVELOPS. GFS AND ECMWF IN PRETTY GOOD AGREEMENT ON LOW
CLOSING OFF TO THE NORTH WHICH WOULD LIMIT IMPACT ON SNE...BUT WE
ARE STILL 5 TO 6 DAYS AWAY AND THINGS CAN CHANGE. MODELS KEEP
HEAVIER QPF WELL TO THE NORTH AND WE WILL JUST HAVE CHC RAIN/SNOW
SHOWERS FRI NIGHT INTO SAT
WITH MOSTLY DRY WEATHER SUNDAY. HIGHEST
CONFIDENCE FOR NEXT WEEKEND IS UNSEASONABLY COLD TEMPS AND BLUSTERY
CONDITIONS WITH MAXES ONLY IN THE 40S AND EVEN SOME 30S IN THE
HIGHER TERRAIN.

That's why I chose it. It should capitalize in both situations. Granted I won't get as much of the NW flow stuff as you do, but I should still get some. However, that location should do best with a nice, juicy coastal that has a ripping easterly LLJ that upslopes as it hits the east side of the spine.

In sum, it's far enough south to get in on some of the coastals, but far enough north to still do fairly well in a SWFE pattern like '07-'08, and has enough topography to still get quite a bit of orographic enhancement. It's only 15-20 minutes from North Adams and 45-50 minutes from Pittsfield, so I can get to places fairly easily. I can't wait to spend my first winter up there. I'll definitely take some weenie trips up there this winter.

MITCH!!! that's awesome!!! congrats :) you're the ultimate :weenie::)

Only think keeping me sane are these potent cold shots we've had this month..Days like today with biting chill and wind reminding us it's fall

50F in late October is biting chill? Normal high at ORH is 55...

The appeal is fall though for sure, just gotta remember normals are dropping almost daily at this point.

Archived