CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
October Discussion

TalcottWx

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One thing is for sure, the sun light at noon is really taking on that "we shoveled snow in these same exact shadows last February" is really true right now.  The sun angle change from 9/1 through 10/30 is what I call the "cliff fall" from reasonably late summer lighting, to entry level snow shoveling / winter lighting.

Jesus... looking on BUFKIT the GFS supports 60+ knot wind gusts at BDL Saturday lol

Big time isallobaric wind burst signaled ...  Huge DPVA and obscene mlv wind acceleration in the day requires some serious q-vector forcing/and low pressure genesis beneath, and as that implosion moves off there's got to be some cross-isobaric restoring force there one would think...

Hhehhh, given that solution, that is...  Ams2001glos-Ie17.gif  for the win   :lol:

Yeah there have been big storms in every month of the year and that 1950 one was a monster.

I can think of more large October storms in the past 10 years than Nov ones is all. 2005, 2008, 2011, Sandy, but nothing major comes to mind in November except for the one after Sandy. October seems to get more tropical mixed with synoptic storms or tropical transitioning extra tropical.

For what it is not worth the 00z UKMET free-chart looks very ominous for D6:

post-904-0-49706900-1414337281_thumb.jpg

After looking things over, it appears the southern stream component in all this is a bit weaker in all guidance compared to what was depicted during the runs/trends from 24 hours ago.  The consequence of that seemingly minor discontinuity is a bigger ramification for deterministic mid/extended range forecaster headaches...  (as though that range did not always come along with migraines anyway).

The GFS shows remarkable consistency with the N/Polar stream, showing powerful incursion of mid and upper level wave dynamics through the Lakes on a very impressive meridional trajectory. Due to the lacked southern stream, better baroclinic zone is not detected by these incredible dynamics until this is scooting east of New England, but not too fast that there cannot be wrap around ...fledgling CCB activity into CNE.  That's the gist of 00z/06z oper. GFS blend...

Okay... But, looking back out over the Pacific upon the 00z initialization... the dynamic interplay between vestigial TC Ana and mid-stream S/W was just beginning to take place out around 40N/160W.   I'd like to see that resolve its self and/or get sampled more discretely then sat -derived/assimilated grid population.

Here's the problem with that... Should a strong southern component S/W evolve out of that integration out over the Pacific then you get a more up-down trough orientation [eventually] in the east, with a less progressive GFS-like result. The reason why is because more southern stream induces the phase sooner ...blah blah more intensity slows the whole thing down/carves out feed-back amplitude, and so on.  With less southern stream, however, ...it's kind of metaphoric to a rock skipping off a pond -- the N stream comes down and zips east off the top of the latent southern geopotential medium.. It's just that the current GFS idea has soooo much overwhelming mechanics with the N stream, it's still managing to bring interesting aspects in those depictions.

The Euro seems weaker with the N stream, as well as not really doing much with the Ana aspect of all this... Yesterday, the Euro was quite strong with N stream, however, but has since backed off.  It seems easier to go with the Euro, simply because it is less anomalous (where "anomalies" are rarefied - duh).  But, I caution that back ground teleconnectors still support something largely perturbed in the flow during the time frames in question, but also ... the Euro is presently the model with the most continuity issues...    

Ginxy this is what I was looking at for 1200ft at MPV...850 is below freezing but thick low level warmth below that until the good NW flow develops.

Powder',

fwiw - I don't think that MPV clown graph would verify given the synoptics.  I have no idea how that product is derived, but that column up there crashes like Value Jet and that graph has way to many liquid hours given the extremeness of synoptic appeal here.  Just my opinion ..

Powder',

fwiw - I don't think that MPV clown graph would verify given the synoptics. I have no idea how that product is derived, but that column up there crashes like Value Jet and that graph has way to many liquid hours given the extremeness of synoptic appeal here. Just my opinion ..

I was just going by the thermal profile there...the liquid matches the thermal profile the model is spitting out. Maybe it would be different in real life but at that point you can just go by the soundings.

Do you see how thick the warm layer is on the thermal time series? The second chart in my post...is that sounding different on other products like twister data?

For what it is not worth the 00z UKMET free-chart looks very ominous for D6:

ukmet.jpg

After looking things over, it appears the southern stream component in all this is a bit weaker in all guidance compared to what was depicted during the runs/trends from 24 hours ago. The consequence of that seemingly minor discontinuity is a bigger ramification for deterministic mid/extended range forecaster headaches... (as though that range did not always come along with migraines anyway).

The GFS shows remarkable consistency with the N/Polar stream, showing powerful incursion of mid and upper level wave dynamics through the Lakes on a very impressive meridional trajectory. Due to the lacked southern stream, better baroclinic zone is not detected by these incredible dynamics until this is scooting east of New England, but not too fast that there cannot be wrap around ...fledgling CCB activity into CNE. That's the gist of 00z/06z oper. GFS blend...

Okay... But, looking back out over the Pacific upon the 00z initialization... the dynamic interplay between vestigial TC Ana and mid-stream S/W was just beginning to take place out around 40N/160W. I'd like to see that resolve its self and/or get sampled more discretely then sat -derived/assimilated grid population.

Here's the problem with that... Should a strong southern component S/W evolve out of that integration out over the Pacific then you get a more up-down trough orientation [eventually] in the east, with a less progressive GFS-like result. The reason why is because more southern stream induces the phase sooner ...blah blah more intensity slows the whole thing down/carves out feed-back amplitude, and so on. With less southern stream, however, ...it's kind of metaphoric to a rock skipping off a pond -- the N stream comes down and zips east off the top of the latent southern geopotential medium.. It's just that the current GFS idea has soooo much overwhelming mechanics with the N stream, it's still managing to bring interesting aspects in those depictions.

The Euro seems weaker with the N stream, as well as not really doing much with the Ana aspect of all this... Yesterday, the Euro was quite strong with N stream, however, but has since backed off. It seems easier to go with the Euro, simply because it is less anomalous (where "anomalies" are rarefied - duh). But, I caution that back ground teleconnectors still support something largely perturbed in the flow during the time frames in question, but also ... the Euro is presently the model with the most continuity issues...

Interesting, thank you.

Archived