Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Central PA & Fringes - Fall 2014

Eskimo Joe

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty much over here now.  Got about 2.5" but it was tough to measure due to the compacting and melting on my snowboard.  It has a southern exposure which aids in that process during the daytime.  The board only reached 1.8" but the front of my house on the northern exposure had between 2.0" and 3.0".  I'm splitting the difference and going with 2.5".

Earlier I was questioning the liquid output from last night's models and how it looked like they were way high.  However, I just melted down the snowfall and it contained 0.66" of water.  That produces a ratio of 3.78 : 1.  Really wet snow.  Combined with my 0.17" of rainfall before the changeover and my storm liquid total is 0.83" which really isn't that far away from last night's runs.  Just wish it could have been a few degrees colder.  But we'll have a white Thanksgiving tomorrow...first one in 12 years since 2002.  That season produced a white Christmas, a white New Year's Eve (that changed to rain), and of course what would turn out to be PD II in February.

Have a nice (white) Thanksgiving everyone and safe travels to those who will be on the road.

Lol!!! I agree though would have been 10 inches without compaction!

Same story here, it would snow for an hour, I would measure a new inch on the deck where I cleared it, and then on the ground it only increased a quarter inch.  Then during a lull it would pack down.  It was like treading water all day after the steady heavy band of snow this morning.  3 degrees colder and we would have had a foot.  Although I also got a bit unlucky and ended up between two bands in a dry slot for much of the afternoon.  Right now after more packing down I have about 5" on grassy surfaces.  At least with all the water content it should last a few days. 

This was a nice event for pretty much everyone. I feel bad for the Harrisburg crowd and Voyager. Those areas just caught a snow hole. It happens unfortunately, but hopefully this is just one in many other chances. I'll be around to track it all and look forward to conversating with everyone throughout the season!!

Archived