• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April Discussion..Mild overall..and really not wild

Damage In Tolland

This time of year everything above freezing feels really warm, haha.

It reminds me of this sketch:

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

That's about right. I had shorts on today. Those images are a little disturbing though.

I usually go long until it's about 80F out then I just carry a light coat with me just in case

Wiz you are skinny as a post man I was wearing shorts and a t shirt during the day today.

Went with the long sleeve for practice because it dropped into the high 30's. Got a little hot at times.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's just for pavement? You would also have to take into account excavating the road bed and replacing it with material that drains well, fabric that keeps the road bed stable, ditching and other prep required for paving. If a road isn't prepped correctly, pavement will be gone within a few years and, finally, 2" of asphalt isn't enough for much more than a "skim coat", I believe you need more than that for new paving. I'm not a road guy but know plenty of town and state road crew guys and have been on town boards where we had to learn a little about construction requirements. It sounds easy to just pave a dirt road but there is a lot that goes into it. I replied here because this is where the conversation was but Mods please feel free to move to the banter thread.

yeah 2" wouldn't last a year lol. 2" is enough for a base course, then a wearing course of at least an 1" would go on top of that, most towns do 4" total thickness. Mass dot is 7", your tax dollars at work.

Keeping a lazy eye on the 10th still.

The 8th-9th storm is looking too far west at the moment...don';t think its going to come back east enough.

But the EPO goes into steroid mode again, so amazingly, that might not be our last chance at snow either. PV gets locked in near Hudson Bay again...so there could be some more cold intrusions. At least this is what the Euro ens showed.

I don't really buy that at all. The wear and tear they're putting on their vehicles by driving thru that mud holes, ruts, slop all year far outweighs the cost of paving it or at least laying some gravel down. You don't live on Little House on the Prarie

But I thought no one lived up here?

Anyway, not going to flog the dead equine but it really does comes down to money.  There just isn't enough to pave all the winding town roads around here.  Plus, paved roads come with their own host or problems already mentioned:  potholes and particularly frostheaves.  The frostheaves are as bad around here this year as they have been in a very long time.

I've even seen a couple town roads that were once paved get ground up and returned to gravel because it's easier for the towns to maintain them.  Gravel can be graded and smoothed, pavement not so much.

I thought it was May 12th? Anyway, here is the link to the story:

http://www.newhampshire.com/article/20140326/NEWHAMPSHIRE03/140329495/0/newhampshire03

Heres all the May ice outs on Winni. Last time was 2001. Prior to that one it hadn't happened since the 70s.

May 2 XXXXX 1899,1911,1926,1972,2001

May 3 X 1944

May 4 XX 1939,1940

May 5 X 1956

May 6 X 1971

May 7 X 1887

May 10 X 1893

May 12 X 1888

Heres all the May ice outs on Winni. Last time was 2001. Prior to that one it hadn't happened since the 70s.

May 2 XXXXX 1899,1911,1926,1972,2001

May 3 X 1944

May 4 XX 1939,1940

May 5 X 1956

May 6 X 1971

May 7 X 1887

May 10 X 1893

May 12 X 1888

2001 was really cool in April after a cold March....I'm actually kind of surprised that 2003 isn't on there, that was a cold April after a cold winter...though perhaps we had a torch near the end of the month.

It will be interesting to see how this year does with the near record cold March...basically the ice didn't degrade at all this past month, so the starting point is pretty late. Still, it only takes one stretch of 3 or 4 75F type days to really get the ball rolling.

2001 was really cool in April after a cold March....I'm actually kind of surprised that 2003 isn't on there, that was a cold April after a cold winter...though perhaps we had a torch near the end of the month.

It will be interesting to see how this year does with the near record cold March...basically the ice didn't degrade at all this past month, so the starting point is pretty late. Still, it only takes one stretch of 3 or 4 75F type days to really get the ball rolling.

2003 went out on April 25. I'm not sure what kind of ice pack they had that year going into April.

This year it was still 30" in places on March 31, the last day of ice fishing up there. So its still in good shape. We'll need to avoid a warm stretch like you said or a heavy rain event up there in order to make it to May. The ice down here took a beating after the last rain event, but its still probably a week or more away from going out.

There should be a real energetic and possibly stormy pattern around mid April. It looks like a pretty tight temp gradient will set up along the nrn tier near or just above 40N.  That PV has some nasty cold trying to move south, but a pretty stout SE ridge too. I don't know if we break out into the warmth, but that's going to be a battle royale.

Sandy River ice in Farmington/New Sharon still looks tight; even the rapids by the Route 2 bridge in NS haven't lost whatever ice that formed in midwinter (they never close over completely).   This is the first year since my commute included the river in Augusta (thus 2003 on) that the Kennebec remained ice-covered into April.  It's open below the Gardiner-Randolph bridge, thanks to two CG icebreakers, and there's an open patch above the low (Cushnoc) bridge in Augusta, but that hole opened during the January cutters and never refroze.  Lake ice hasn't even hinted about pulling away from shore yet.

There should be a real energetic and possibly stormy pattern around mid April. It looks like a pretty tight temp gradient will set up along the nrn tier near or just above 40N. That PV has some nasty cold trying to move south, but a pretty stout SE ridge too. I don't know if we break out into the warmth, but that's going to be a battle royale.

That will at least provide some interesting weather to track.

Started at Age 22 in December 2005 @ eastern. All because of the Dec 9th 2005 storm.

Now I'm 30..sickening.

Going to be nice and cold for the first few weeks of Softball..but hoping it's not a muddy disaster.

Joined at 17 in 2007 and now 24 and finishing my second year of law school. Nothing like checking The NCEP website in the middle of class when tracking haha

Mentioned this yesterday and it still appears so. It's like we crossed a seasonal threshold. ... I wonder if perhaps a temporal boundary in the modeling. But the cold side of boundaries eased off, while the warm thickness overall, expanded; this took place incrementally 2 nights ago and hasn't changed since. Interesting

The 8th-9th storm is looking too far west at the moment...don';t think its going to come back east enough.

But the EPO goes into steroid mode again, so amazingly, that might not be our last chance at snow either. PV gets locked in near Hudson Bay again...so there could be some more cold intrusions. At least this is what the Euro ens showed.

I was more referring to the second wave on the 10th, Euro tried to spin up a cold one for the fish. Unlikely though, I know.

Another triple point deluge next week? The Sultan's duties are endless.

At least for us in SNE it wont' be accompanied by snow melt.  So, the now thawed ground will allow for short-lived mud.  Once the several inches we have here goes, that is.

Deep, deep winter flying over Ontario this morning.  Pouring rain in DTW.  Beauty.

49.0/24 at the Pit.

Archived