• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April Discussion..Mild overall..and really not wild

Damage In Tolland

I don't really buy that at all. The wear and tear they're putting on their vehicles by driving thru that mid, holes, ruts, slop all year far outweighs the cost of paving it or at least laying some gravel down. You don't live on Little House on the Prarie

Well I can tell you that's the reason whether you believe it or not, haha. It's about money.

They are really only an issue for 2 maybe 3 weeks in the spring. Rest of the time it's fine.

Ask your boys @TollandWorks or whatever your plow guy twitter name is why your neighbors in Union doesn't pave all their roads. I'm sure he'd say because it's expensive.

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I can tell you that's the reason whether you believe it or not, haha. It's about money.

They are really only an issue for 2 maybe 3 weeks in the spring. Rest of the time it's fine.

Ask your boys @TollandWorks or whatever your plow guy twitter name is why your neighbors in Union doesn't pave all their roads. I'm sure he'd say because it's expensive.

My plow guy on Twitter.. Huh?

Everytime it rains in the summer it's a mud pit and if not muddy it's a constant dust storm with dust flying thru air into homes, windows and filthy vehicles. I understand it's rural etc,, but that's just not for me

My plow guy on Twitter.. Huh?

Everytime it rains in the summer it's a mud pit and if not muddy it's a constant dust storm with dust flying thru air into homes, windows and filthy vehicles. I understand it's rural etc,, but that's just not for me

Haha, just joking on the twitter, but I thought you always post Twitter comments from some TollandWorks or is that the department of public works?

Anyway, yeah on the money side, just a quick google search on paving 1 mile of road with 2" of asphalt would be the following:

$3.50 per square foot for a 2" overlay...20 foot wide rural road, at 1 mile (5,280ft) gives us 105,600 square feet...at $3.50 a square foot you are looking at $369,600 (so over a third of a million dollars) just to pave that one mile.  Now think about that multiple mile long road with only 100 residents.  Those residents would get one heckuva tax assessment for that project, they'd probably pass on it.

It would be cheaper for each of those residents to purchase a new vehicle each year than it would be to pay for the cost of paving, and that's not even counting re-paving every couple years or something.

But we are waaaaay off-topic, Moderators feel free to move this to a banter thread for April.  Just slow weather day.

Haha, just joking on the twitter, but I thought you always post Twitter comments from some TollandWorks or is that the department of public works?

Anyway, yeah on the money side, just a quick google search on paving 1 mile of road with 2" of asphalt would be the following:

$3.50 per square foot for a 2" overlay...20 foot wide rural road, at 1 mile (5,280ft) gives us 105,600 square feet...at $3.50 a square foot you are looking at $369,600 (so over a third of a million dollars) just to pave that one mile. Now think about that multiple mile long road with only 100 residents. Those residents would get one heckuva tax assessment for that project, they'd probably pass on it.

It would be cheaper for each of those residents to purchase a new vehicle each year than it would be to pay for the cost of paving, and that's not even counting re-paving every couple years or something.

But we are waaaaay off-topic, Moderators feel free to move this to a banter thread for April. Just slow weather day.

A. you would get economies of scale, it probably wouldn't cost as much per sq. foot as a smaller job, and more relevantly,

B. gravel.

The seabreeze is literally ticking my neighborhood. Took a walk down the street heading north and could smell the ocean and it cooled off. Turned around to head home and winds were SSW.

It made it all the way to my house up here, temp dipped about 5 or so. It hit MHT last hour. I swear you can smell the ocean even 25-30 miles inland, especially right when it hits.

It made it all the way to my house up here, temp dipped about 5 or so. It hit MHT last hour. I swear you can smell the ocean even 25-30 miles inland, especially right when it hits.

Sometimes on days like today it flies NW into SNH, but yet barely makes it here like 2 miles inland. Those srly wind days sometimes keep it at bay here on the srn side of Boston harbor. However, backdoor fronts come through here and show no mercy.

I don't really buy that at all. The wear and tear they're putting on their vehicles by driving thru that mud holes, ruts, slop all year far outweighs the cost of paving it or at least laying some gravel down. You don't live on Little House on the Prarie

Ha! You obviously don't know much about dirt roads. They will grade that road and dump gravel in it, probably a couple of times over the next few weeks. The first 10 cars that drive over will be very pleased with the results, a few days later it will be back to ruts. Our towns generally maintain the dirt roads reasonably well, it's just the cost of maintain paved roads is more than it is for gravel. Besides, it keeps the riff raff out ;)

$3.50 per square foot for a 2" overlay...20 foot wide rural road, at 1 mile (5,280ft) gives us 105,600 square feet...at $3.50 a square foot you are looking at $369,600 (so over a third of a million dollars) just to pave that one mile.  Now think about that multiple mile long road with only 100 residents.  Those residents would get one heckuva tax assessment for that project, they'd probably pass on it.

But we are waaaaay off-topic, Moderators feel free to move this to a banter thread for April.  Just slow weather day.

That's just for pavement? You would also have to take into account excavating the road bed and replacing it with material that drains well, fabric that keeps the road bed stable, ditching and other prep required for paving. If a road isn't prepped correctly, pavement will be gone within a few years and, finally, 2" of asphalt isn't enough for much more than a "skim coat", I believe you need more than that for new paving. I'm not a road guy but know plenty of town and state road crew guys and have been on town boards where we had to learn a little about construction requirements. It sounds easy to just pave a dirt road but there is a lot that goes into it. I replied here because this is where the conversation was but Mods please feel free to move to the banter thread.

I don't really buy that at all. The wear and tear they're putting on their vehicles by driving thru that mud holes, ruts, slop all year far outweighs the cost of paving it or at least laying some gravel down. You don't live on Little House on the Prarie

The first 2,000' of my commute is on gravel, and as long as it gets timely plowing (like it did not on 3/13, requiring 45 minutes of shoveling) I have no problems.  The bad part of my drive is State Route 27, the main link between Augusta and Farmington (and Sugarloaf beyond), paved all the way and including some of the worst - and most numerous - frost heaves of my experience.  This morning I made the mistake of buying coffee a mile from home; one cannot safely consume hot beverages while traveling Route 27 this season.  It's probably worse heading back north, with craters forming in the pavement just where one tips over onto the long downgrade that gives Mile Hill its name.

I'm with PF on this.  Of course, my job has often involved driving many miles on gravel logging roads, which might explain my bias.

This season paved roads have probably been worse than dirt roads. Hit a massive pothole the other day and lost a hubcap.

Literally a week after one of my friends spent $1200 on a new transmission and a few other repairs he hit a pot hole which screwed up his car...had to spend another $1000 to fix it.  

Potholes in taunton have been dreadful as usual. My road got paved last fall so it hasn't had any, but man some roads are almost not driveable

Not to turn this into a "Potholes" thread, but Route 138 from Taunton to Raynham is like driving on the moon.  I won't even go on that road in my jeep.   

Definite Spring feel today...Kids all over the neighborhood playing like it's the middle of summer

Not to turn this into a "Potholes" thread, but Route 138 from Taunton to Raynham is like driving on the moon. I won't even go on that road in my jeep.

Definite Spring feel today...Kids all over the neighborhood playing like it's the middle of summer

That stretch is one of the worst around. Down by the green is horrendous as well. The problem with taunton is so many roads need to be done, but they can only do a few a year.

Was nice out today though, really noticed it tonight. Just had that early spring feel out...... Finally

Just to chime in on the "pothole thread"- yeah that 138 stretch is horrendous. Not that Fall River is much better. I've hit more than enough teeth rattling craters. Is it really shorts and shorts-sleeve wx? I need at least 70 to throw on the shorts. Any thoughts on when we see our first 70?

Archived