wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
April Discussion..Mild overall..and really not wild

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not going to be close to freezing rain at this point...just started raining a little bit at 42F.  Dew point at MVL is 22F though, so maybe we wet bulb.  No one up here is really anywhere close to freezing though...although the summit is at 30F but that's about it.

Sometimes I forget how young relatively speaking a lot of you are, you probably had over a foot in columbia

My dad used to talk about getting snow on his birthday on May 9th one year, no idea which year though.

The cold is still lurking around, but we would need absolute perfect timing. A 216hr operational run doesn't really cut it in that regard. Any ensemble support?

nice little mini-nuke.

We had a few inches on 4/16/92. Haven't really had a decent April event in these parts post-4/10 since then. We had 2 sloppy inches on 4/26/00 and of course the 5/18/02 event.

We've had some small stuff...like a half inch here and there. I think most recently was maybe 4/23/11.

Looking at my records, 4/10 seems to be a dividing line when it comes to significant snow, and since I'm in Maine I'm using 6"+ as "significant".  I can recall only about six, two in 1983 (11-12 in Ft.Kent, 19th in NNJ), then in 1986 (23rd, NNJ), 1987 (28-29, Gardiner), 1988 (16th, Gardiner), 2007 (12-13, New Sharon).  Include the 10th and another 2-3 show up.  Note: After our trips to NNJ featured double-digit snowstorms in both 1983 and 1986, we figured they wouldn't ever let us visit again in April.

Looking forward to maybe 1-2" IP/stuff here.  Temp still mid-upper 30s, but TD is low 20s (20F in AUG.)

Looking at my records, 4/10 seems to be a dividing line when it comes to significant snow, and since I'm in Maine I'm using 6"+ as "significant".  I can recall only about six, two in 1983 (11-12 in Ft.Kent, 19th in NNJ), then in 1986 (23rd, NNJ), 1987 (28-29, Gardiner), 1988 (16th, Gardiner), 2007 (12-13, New Sharon).  Include the 10th and another 2-3 show up.  Note: After our trips to NNJ featured double-digit snowstorms in both 1983 and 1986, we figured they wouldn't ever let us visit again in April.

Looking forward to maybe 1-2" IP/stuff here.  Temp still mid-upper 30s, but TD is low 20s (20F in AUG.)

There's a big dropoff in daily record snowfalls after 4/12 for ORH too. A lot of daily records become under 4". From 4/14 through 4/27, there isn't a single daily snowfall record of 6"+...then in 1987, 15.0" fell on 4/28 (with another 2.0 on the 29th).

In contrast, every date except 2 between 4/1-4/13 has a daily snowfall record over 6".

I like snow but I want warm wx now. Anyway I remember 4/28/87 and 5/77 events. Interestingly, accumulating snow made it all the way down here to the s. coast in May 77 but not for the 4/28/87 storm. The 87 storm gave much greater accums to Worcester Co. I still remember the amazing video on the local news of that storm. Barry did nail the 87 storm. I can't remember Harv's handling of it.

Elevation helped in  both storms...but they weren't completely elevation dependent. May '77 was actually more dependent on where the axis of heaviest precip was. It was raining towards KCON because of the lack of lift and dynamic cooling. Clearly in both events the higher el from SW NH to nrn RI were both in the band and had elevation which gave those crazy totals.

Elevation helped in  both storms...but they weren't completely elevation dependent. May '77 was actually more dependent on where the axis of heaviest precip was. It was raining towards KCON because of the lack of lift and dynamic cooling. Clearly in both events the higher el from SW NH to nrn RI were both in the band and had elevation which gave those crazy totals.

What amazed me that day was PVD, that map is wrong too as even in way southern RI we had accumulations from 2-4 inches

Archived