CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
April Discussion..Mild overall..and really not wild

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Think about it though... cold snowy winters and then hot , humid summers with lightning and canes. For  a lover of extreme wx events like I am..it's ideal ..it's the opposite of what 99% of the population does..and it's perfect for me

I like extremes, but not the heat. FL in the summer is brutal unless you are in the water the whole time. Yes the storms are cool...but not worth the heat.  You would have loved it when I was there during Erin in '95. Severe storms, gusts to near hurricane force, and tornado warnings.

I've noticed over the years that this area is always one of the last to scour out low clouds and fog. It happens a lot in the spring and summer when all other spots are sunny. Any ideas why?

Warm in the winter and cool in the summer there at 980ft. Just a horrible place for those who like wx extremes.

I've noticed over the years that this area is always one of the last to scour out low clouds and fog. It happens a lot in the spring and summer when all other spots are sunny. Any ideas why?

Terrain can locally keep clouds a bit longer...probably part of the reason.

Terrain can locally keep clouds a bit longer...probably part of the reason.

Its stupid and I know others could care less, but man it happens almost everytime there's low clouds and fog. It's great in the winter but warm season it's very maddening. The fog has lifted now but still thick low clouds and 37.7..I mean look at the viz sat.. WTF

Its stupid and I know others could care less, but man it happens almost everytime there's low clouds and fog. It's great in the winter but warm season it's very maddening. The fog has lifted now but still thick low clouds and 37.7..I mean look at the viz sat.. WTF

Well what you describe is more of a warmer season deal. If you have low clouds and fog hanging tough in the winter...that is the opposite of what you want.

Warm in the winter and cool in the summer there at 980ft. Just a horrible place for those who like wx extremes.

He gets a lot of those 38F fog melters in the winter when ORH is 31F and FZDZ with a crust over the pack.

The May 1977 event is the first specific snow event I recall

Close to a foot in Foxboro, big power outages.

The only earlier specific weather I remember was that hot Saturday in 1975?

August 2, 1975.  Along with July 3, 1966 in NNJ, the hottest days I've experienced.  Hot Saturday included 100 at water's edge in BHB.

It's out at day 10-11, but gfs has a pretty strong flood showing up in our part of the world - several days of 50s-60s then a 3" rain event.  Hoping it's as wrong as 10th day models usually are.

NAM has temps near 70F Tuesday with even a iso tstm risk in central areas.

Friday this next week may be IN the 70's if the blend of most guidance verifies...  +8 to +11C, from south to north, with deep layered continental off-shore flow in warm sector. Low RH flags full sun, and thus maximization of heating potential when considering the former parameters.  That day's warmth has been in the runs for many cycles, actually.

Friday this next week may be IN the 70's if the blend of most guidance verifies...  +8 to +11C, from south to north, with deep layered continental off-shore flow in warm sector. Low RH flags full sun, and thus maximization of heating potential when considering the former parameters.  That day's warmth has been in the runs for many cycles, actually.

Friday has the front coming through too. If we can hold it off...it's definitely lower 70s potential..but we'll have to see how the timing works out.

Looks like we eek out a nice one for Monday (day after tomorrow)..  Light west wind veering S at Logan during the 12z through 18z period of the morning and early afternoon, with less that 50% RH at 500 and 700mb respectively, signals waif warmth under mostly sunny conditions. 

...all the while, a wall of cloud and rain is approaching up the East Coast associated with that failing trough amplitude that's been in the runs, and teleconnected...  That's what makes that interesting.  An erstwhile huge PNA spike while the NAO initiated a mode change toward positive could have been a lot more productive than a progressive L/W with embedded S/W, wave interference.  Such that it is, we get a low passing west and enough so that we may actually warm sector, in stead of a cooperating wave dynamic and commitment to the coast. Hell, that day may actually need "humid" as a partial descriptor.  IN any event, a deeper trough could have resulted more east-SE carve, ...etc etc... nope.  Not this time.

And, at this point, the diabatic annihilation of cold on the continental scale is detectable from run to run, if perhaps incrementally.  It was probably also a feed-back in modulating this week's overall deportment toward milder, compared to when it was first suggested back whence extended in range.  And seeing the extended character of the operational runs, compounded by teleconnectors, and the noted shortening wave lengths, I am willing to bet that for the vaster majority of folks, you've seen your last snow until next autumn/winter.   

One of these days I'll skin up Mansfield to the 4k picnic tables, lay there and see what the magic is all about.

That magic is everywhere in New England at 4,000ft....you just need to get up to that elevation ;). But in all honesty it's cool how every mountain area in the NE has it's advantages for something. Up this way it's definitely the upslope/orographic card, being a Spine leads to more focused lift and it can be anything from SVR storms blowing up when they hit the mountains or the winter fluff. Then in Maine and NH they have the CAD and more snow in SWFE, as well as a better chance for big ticket synoptic snows, even if their snowfall frequency is lower.

I can see where Blizz comes from though with winters in NNE and summer in Florida...though I detest heat and I went to a wedding in August in Florida and that was eye-opening. It's cool to experience but I couldn't do that all summer long. I love having it drop into the 50s and 40s every night in the NNE mountain valleys in the summer, while the days are in the 70s/80s...along with more abundant thunderstorms either terrain initiated convection or just better jet dynamics are usually further north.

The worst spot for exciting weather would be the SW US without a doubt, unless you like fires haha.

That magic is everywhere in New England at 4,000ft....you just need to get up to that elevation ;). But in all honesty it's cool how every mountain area in the NE has it's advantages for something. Up this way it's definitely the upslope/orographic card, being a Spine leads to more focused lift and it can be anything from SVR storms blowing up when they hit the mountains or the winter fluff. Then in Maine and NH they have the CAD and more snow in SWFE, as well as a better chance for big ticket synoptic snows, even if their snowfall frequency is lower.

I can see where Blizz comes from though with winters in NNE and summer in Florida...though I detest heat and I went to a wedding in August in Florida and that was eye-opening. It's cool to experience but I couldn't do that all summer long. I love having it drop into the 50s and 40s every night in the NNE mountain valleys in the summer, while the days are in the 70s/80s...along with more abundant thunderstorms either terrain initiated convection or just better jet dynamics are usually further north.

The worst spot for exciting weather would be the SW US without a doubt, unless you like fires haha.

I actually was serious....I've never really spent time in VT for more than a day. I know NH and ME (esp srn ME) enough...but VT is on my list.

Archived