joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April Discussion..Mild overall..and really not wild

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe, but I doth have a hard time believing in widespread 50-60" totals.

I heard about that storm on VPR this morning...they had the same snowfall values and said numerous journals from farmers reported drifts of 8-10 feet and 4-5 feet of snowfall on the level.

Its bound to happen sometime...I've always thought there would be a system that sort of takes Valentine's Day 2007 (which had widespread 27-40" totals) and stalls it.  At least VT is in a decent spot to have something massive cut off in the Maritimes or FVE and just spin for a couple days.  The radio said that event back in 1807 was a 3-day ordeal in VT, but again you are going by farmers' journals and stuff like that.

The storm on the 9th isn't looking pretty. It looks like nice CAD but cold rain.I know it's 7 days out or so...but retreating high and lousy airmass....it would have to change significantly I think for us to see anything other than rain. We'll see I guess.

If anything the airmass after is better...lol.

I heard about that storm on VPR this morning...they had the same snowfall values and said numerous journals from farmers reported drifts of 8-10 feet and 4-5 feet of snowfall on the level.

Its bound to happen sometime...I've always thought there would be a system that sort of takes Valentine's Day 2007 (which had widespread 27-40" totals) and stalls it.  At least VT is in a decent spot to have something massive cut off in the Maritimes or FVE and just spin for a couple days.  The radio said that event back in 1807 was a 3-day ordeal in VT, but again you are going by farmers' journals and stuff like that.

If it stalls, then maybe the upslope flow areas above 2k could see those amounts...but this time of year...a storm stalls and brings in recycled mild air relatively quickly. I'm not saying it's impossible...but I think questioning how and if it's possible is certainly valid.

The storm on the 9th isn't looking pretty. It looks like nice CAD but cold rain.I know it's 7 days out or so...but retreating high and lousy airmass....it would have to change significantly I think for us to see anything other than rain. We'll see I guess.

So it does appear that's it then..despite the comments this morning about a few more chances. All left for us to track now is when will the forsythia bloom?

So it does appear that's it then..despite the comments this morning about a few more chances. All left for us to track now is when will the forsythia bloom?

What comments? The ones about what a model

shows 8 days out? My comment was basically in the same category. It could change, but for now it's not the best look.

Its over, It was a good late run for winter up here in march, Time to turn the page and move onto spring, Hopefully we can melt off the remaining pack slowly with some warmer temps to lesson the flooding possibilities and get on with springtime activities as we move into the next few weeks

Its over, It was a good late run for winter up here in march, Time to turn the page and move onto spring, Hopefully we can melt off the remaining pack slowly with some warmer temps to lesson the flooding possibilities and get on with springtime activities as we move into the next few weeks

I can agree with this :) Hope we get a good severe season to go along with these rain showers...

If it stalls, then maybe the upslope flow areas above 2k could see those amounts...but this time of year...a storm stalls and brings in recycled mild air relatively quickly. I'm not saying it's impossible...but I think questioning how and if it's possible is certainly valid.

Certainly...just interesting that the values are all uniformly high. Rather than just one small geographic area.

Makes me wonder what the upper bounds of a 1 in 200 year snowstorm would be around New England. Probably a topic for another thread.

I'm ready. Was a good finish after a frustrating mid-winter period, snowfall wise. Temp wise, it's been a long winter since early November...and we should have seen it coming. MVL here had it's first sub-zero November readings since 1989 and then capped off the winter with 16 sub-zero readings in March and a record cold month.

I wonder how long till we are completely snow-free, snowbank piles and all. Haven't truly seen the grass since November 23rd...though came close in January when there was 1-2" of solid ice in the yard with standing water on top.

I'm ready. Was a good finish after a frustrating mid-winter period, snowfall wise. Temp wise, it's been a long winter since early November...and we should have seen it coming. MVL here had it's first sub-zero November readings since 1989 and then capped off the winter with 16 sub-zero readings in March and a record cold month.

I wonder how long till we are completely snow-free, snowbank piles and all. Haven't truly seen the grass since November 23rd...though came close in January when there was 1-2" of solid ice in the yard with standing water on top.

Yeah, After a rough go early on for you guys up their, You recovered nicely, Its going to be a while here to go snow free and ice free, 1st time ever in history, The State Inland Fisheries and Wildlife is allowing ice fishing to continue into april as typically, 3/31 ends the ice fishing season and 4/1 starts the open water season, The lakes and ponds still have 3-4' of ice on them here locally with the shoreline not even opening up as of yet, There may be some records set for the latest ice out this year

Maybe, but I doth have a hard time believing in widespread 50-60" totals.

Totally different climate then during the Maunder Min.

NA in the 35-45N range was probably 4-5C colder overall in March and April then. I can't imagine the kind of incredibly moisture laden storms riding along late season arctic blasts that would be way colder than now.

MEASUREMENTS OR REPORTS OF TSUNAMI WAVE ACTIVITY

GAUGE LOCATION LAT LON TIME AMPL PER

------------------- ----- ------ ----- --------------- -----

PISAGUA CL 19.6S 70.2W 2352Z 1.92M / 6.3FT 44MIN

IQUIQUE CL 20.2S 70.1W 2351Z 1.70M / 5.6FT 56MIN

LAT - LATITUDE (N-NORTH, S-SOUTH)

LON - LONGITUDE (E-EAST, W-WEST)

TIME - TIME OF THE MEASUREMENT (Z IS UTC IS GREENWICH TIME)

AMPL - TSUNAMI AMPLITUDE MEASURED RELATIVE TO NORMAL SEA LEVEL.

IT IS ...NOT... CREST-TO-TROUGH WAVE HEIGHT.

VALUES ARE GIVEN IN BOTH METERS(M) AND FEET(FT).

PER - PERIOD OF TIME IN MINUTES(MIN) FROM ONE WAVE TO THE NEXT.

EVALUATION

SEA LEVEL READINGS INDICATE A TSUNAMI WAS GENERATED. IT MAY HAVE

BEEN DESTRUCTIVE ALONG COASTS NEAR THE EARTHQUAKE EPICENTER AND

COULD ALSO BE A THREAT TO MORE DISTANT COASTS. AUTHORITIES SHOULD

TAKE APPROPRIATE ACTION IN RESPONSE TO THIS POSSIBILITY. THIS

CENTER WILL CONTINUE TO MONITOR SEA LEVEL DATA TO DETERMINE THE

EXTENT AND SEVERITY OF THE THREAT.

Archived