Newest Member
    joxey
April Discussion..Mild overall..and really not wild

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I new you guys were going to do this...

If you don't think it will hit 70 on Wednesday, make scientific reasons; don't just say highly unlikely.

I originally did, post scientific reasons why that is plausible -- though admittedly less than certain. 

+4 at 850 in a COL atmosphere under full sun post April 1 easily will get a temperature of 65-70. 

Yep, true Randy. I'm not sure why this gets forgotten by some, but there tends to be a gravitation to the wx in people's backyards which then drives incorrect statements like DIT and from Whiteminster. Basically, we look at the hemispheric pattern and features that are placed in favorable climo spots for snow in SNE Small scale features and nuances in the flow that can cause heavy snow to miss by 50-100 miles simply cannot be determined 1-2 weeks out. Likewise a pattern may look unfavorable 1-2 weeks out, but a stubborn 1040 high north of Maine turns a 1-3" event into 4-8". A bust in the positive. Dec 2007 and 2008 features many of these. You just can't get cute with details that far out in time so we word things like "favorable"...but you also notice we are careful with the wording. We as mets are well versed in how things can go downhill or uphill in a matter of 48hrs or so.

Yeah, I'm sure it gets REALLY tricky when having to issue a forecast to some group that's depending on it, and the uncertainty is often there.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Euro ensembles have both storms, but looks like it's a bit too warm aloft. Good high too.

Yeah, I spoke about this at length in that post that other focused entirely on the warmth part out of fear ... 

There is a Archembault signal between the 5th and 10th of April.

That's crazy.... looks about right though given what we've seen this month. I'm up to 75" this month at the 3,000ft snow board and temps are running like -8 to -12 compared to normal around here. Best winter month of the season for cold and snow came in March, go figure.

Doesnt feel or taste quite the same or as good as it would if it was Dec or Jan. By Morch you know winters days are numbered. At least you guys got it, but I don't think there's anyone would choose to have it happen in Morch instead of a deep winter month when you still have 2-3 to go

Yeah, I spoke about this at length in that post that other focused entirely on the warmth part out of fear ... 

Definitely a nice signal for a coastal, but I'm not sure if temps aloft cooperate enough. The April 5th deal might be something CNE and NNE should watch for. 

Definitely a nice signal for a coastal, but I'm not sure if temps aloft cooperate enough. The April 5th deal might be something CNE and NNE should watch for. 

Oh yeah, exactly ... April snow storms are usually requiring a pretty goodly sized cold pocket near-by to tap into... Seeing as the season on whole has been colder than normal much of the time, at times ... with some extremeness, I think that's a good canvas to start (for those that actually WANT a snow storm at this point  :facepalm: )

For pure entertainment only: The 18Z GFS is coming in pretty amazing looking 

Oh yeah, exactly ... April snow storms are usually requiring a pretty goodly sized cold pocket near-by to tap into... Seeing as the season on whole has been colder than normal much of the time, at times ... with some extremeness, I think that's a good canvas to start (for those that actually WANT a snow storm at this point  :facepalm: )

For pure entertainment only: The 18Z GFS is coming in pretty amazing looking 

I would have no problem with a nice April blue bomb. Rare paste bombs like those are hard to come by and always add a nice finish to winter. 

I still would keep an eye out for the 5th and 10th. That's a real nice signal on all models and yes temps aloft may be up in the air...but the New England region is probably game for one of those anyways. At the very least NNE may get a snowstorm out of it.

I would have no problem with a nice April blue bomb. Rare paste bombs like those are hard to come by and always add a nice finish to winter. 

I still would keep an eye out for the 5th and 10th. That's a real nice signal on all models and yes temps aloft may be up in the air...but the New England region is probably game for one of those anyways. At the very least NNE may get a snowstorm out of it.

This is kind of an unexpectedly funny thread. Anyhow, I'd take another event too. These late season snows don't hang around long anyways. If it's going to be crappy and rainy it may as well snow instead.

This is kind of an unexpectedly funny thread. Anyhow, I'd take another event too. These late season snows don't hang around long anyways. If it's going to be crappy and rainy it may as well snow instead.

That's how I view it. Why not try for something interesting? 70 degree days are not walking through that door. Keep an eye out for later next week up there.

Doesnt feel or taste quite the same or as good as it would if it was Dec or Jan. By Morch you know winters days are numbered. At least you guys got it, but I don't think there's anyone would choose to have it happen in Morch instead of a deep winter month when you still have 2-3 to go

With you on that. Cold, short days, with snow and ice on the ground, chestnuts roasting by the fire, with always another storm to track....winters the way mom used to make'em.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Tip, will this Archembault signal lead to a pattern change to cool to colder 30's for highs with more sunny dry conditions for awhile, followed by possible warmth 75-80 last ten days of the month ?? Just wondering.  Tip, do you see a hot summer and severe taking over or is it out of luck, tough sh*t for both this year ? Appreciate your insights.  Do you think only the interior, excluding the south coast has a chance for one last one ?  No April 82 redux I guess ?

Tip, will this Archembault signal lead to a pattern change to cool to colder 30's for highs with more sunny dry conditions for awhile, followed by possible warmth 75-80 last ten days of the month ?? Just wondering.  Tip, do you see a hot summer and severe taking over or is it out of luck, tough sh*t for both this year ? Appreciate your insights.  Do you think only the interior, excluding the south coast has a chance for one last one ?  No April 82 redux I guess ?

:weenie:

It's warm aloft. Need that to go south.

Next weekend looks obnoxious in that surface temps look ok but again like this last system its not very favorable up higher...maybe another sleet/rain mixer, even up here.

The one following that looks better but that's 9-10 days out... still some decent wintery chances, especially northern half of New England (not like that's a shocker in April).  You can see the climo in the ECMWF solutions to some degree because a lot of the 32F and 35F isotherms seem to halt their southward progression around the ORH-Berks and RT 2 area.

Next weekend looks obnoxious in that surface temps look ok but again like this last system its not very favorable up higher...maybe another sleet/rain mixer, even up here.

The one following that looks better but that's 9-10 days out... still some decent wintery chances, especially northern half of New England (not like that's a shocker in April).  You can see the climo in the ECMWF solutions to some degree because a lot of the 32F and 35F isotherms seem to halt their southward progression around the ORH-Berks and RT 2 area.

I've been talking about the 5th and 10th for a few days now as has Will and others.  The 5th may be more up north, but we'll have to watch the 10th as a strong s/w dives south. Still time, but to those like Kevin and others that are trying to give us reasoning how we'll just be screwed because that's what happened since late Feb....it's not a good way of thinking.

Archived